Any plan to improve the inventory management/ui ?

Mordzyloeil

I am really happy to see how much pz has improved and what is expected to come so i was wondering if there are any plans to improve the inventory management/ui.

I think it would be very important, even more now there are more and more items and stuff to get, stock and craft.

I keep hearing about all these things that existed in old builds but are gone now, like a good UI, the ability to roll around wheelie bins and Baldspot and Kate. What happened to make all these good things go away? Was there a major rewrite at some point, or were the features just shelved because they were too broken or unbalanced?

It's not necessary to come back to an old inventory, on the contrary i think. Since everything have evolved so much in such a good way, i was hoping for something up to the new level of quality that devs are looking for obviously.

I am not asking for something flashy, just something more intuitive and easy/quick to use.

More over i think it could help new/younger player to get into the game.

If that craft helper could be added so you could know what you could do and make for crafting recipes. I've [played this game for a long while now and its still hard for me to figure out what all I can make, and I don't think the wiki is up to date is, basically I don't feel like having multiple other websites open to figure out what to do. I've used the map enough that I don't need one anymore to find my way around, :P

I keep hearing about all these things that existed in old builds but are gone now, like a good UI, the ability to roll around wheelie bins and Baldspot and Kate. What happened to make all these good things go away? Was there a major rewrite at some point, or were the features just shelved because they were too broken or unbalanced?

The UI was not good at all. It was just a list with a picture of every item on the left hand side that you had to scroll through.

The only thing people miss from those days is the crafting menu that had three slots to place stuff in to craft something.

Would not work, anymore, since there are recipes with far more than three items.

Moving furniture (and thus wheelie bins) was removed because when moving things like sofas, they broke in their single tiles whith some stuff cut out, which didn't look right nor good. Not sure if there was a change to the engine that required it to go away, temporarily. It's a fairly low priority but on the list of things to re-implement.

Baldspot and Kate were taken out because they require NPCs. NPCs were taken out because when they were in, they were pretty much useless. They would get stuck on trees (at a time when you could not walk through them) or walls, consume a lot of your food and were more of a burden than help.

Nah, I still miss the side menu -- back then, I thought it was innovative and, as sad it is, it was one of the things that drew me to the game. A simple inventory that's unobtrusive and pops out from the side of the screen, rather than takes up the entire thing. Marvelous.

A shame that it wouldn't be practical as anything other than a quick inventory mechanic (represent belts, pockets, easily accessible items).

other then videos I've saw I never got familiar with that old system though, the only thing I liked about it was how fast you could remove, add, equip things. And if anybody knows these days fast is better, even if 2clicks instead of 1 click is required all well I like this one now. I can organize things, surf though my inventory, select only certain things, its good. I like it.

For the npc matter, I never played the game when they were in so im not missing anything right now. Maybe I should take a nostalgic swim and download the older build to see what all this "I miss this" rave is about.

Well I like the new UI,

But I know way back this was brought up and Lemmy actually commented saying we would get a new UI.

Yep. I don't know if it will be completely different or just an "overhaul" of the existing system.

Personally, I'd like something that doesn't require as much "reading" but instead represents your inventory more visually

I'd love to see the ability to auto sort items into containers. For example being able to mark containers for certain times of items, then when you come back from looting you can just press a button to put them all in the right place. It takes way too long to go through your items and sort them in a logical manner. 

I'd love to see the ability to auto sort items into containers. For example being able to mark containers for certain times of items, then when you come back from looting you can just press a button to put them all in the right place. It takes way too long to go through your items and sort them in a logical manner. 

Yah you find a way to push a button that auto sorts everything in real life first.

Thinking more into this, they should make a UI faithful to the original, keeping the smaller windows right up next to whichever container. Instead of a big black box in the middle of the screen.

Yah you find a way to push a button that auto sorts everything in real life first.

It's called a wife. JK lol. Though i guess i see your point, so maybe integrate that into NPCs where their job could be sorting what looters bring back. And maybe it wouldn't be as realistic but I know my friends who gave up on the game was because we spent more time sorting than looting.

It's called a wife. JK lol. Though i guess i see your point, so maybe integrate that into NPCs where their job could be sorting what looters bring back. And maybe it wouldn't be as realistic but I know my friends who gave up on the game was because we spent more time sorting than looting.

He gave up on this game.

Because he thought he spent more time sorting then looting.

I just. What?

You don't HAVE to organize hardly ever. Food in the fridge, Books on the shelf, tools in the closet. Hardly any effort or time. (And I am lazy)

Looting is literally everything in this game. Your friend is weird. I don't like him. I want to throw objects at him now.