furious and confused and mad and blah blah

leonhart18

so me and my wife each own our own copy of PZ through steam. NO MATTER WHAT WE DO WE CANT GET A SERVER RUNNING TO PLAY TOGETHER. I NEED HELP< STEP BY STEP, start from scratch on HOW WE SET THIS UP. for example we use a suddenlink router so ALL common ports are already open. least thats what the tech told me on the phone. P{LEASE HELP

1. Fix this Post (no CPT.CAPSLOCK! / provide information)
  2. ...
  3. Profit (tophat)

ok skippy, information was REQUESTED. a step by step that makes sense and doesnt do a lot of technical mumbo jumbo it assumes everyone already knows. you were given info, aka we did the steps exept for port forwarding and it doesnt work.

and CAPS LOCK IS CONVEY EMOTION SIR

1. Fix this Post (no CPT.CAPSLOCK! / provide information)
  2. ...
  3. Profit (tophat)

ok skippy, information was REQUESTED. a step by step that makes sense and doesnt do a lot of technical mumbo jumbo it assumes everyone already knows. you were given info, aka we did the steps exept for port forwarding and it doesnt work.

and CAPS LOCK IS CONVEY EMOTION SIR

Might be to convey emotion, but I don't particularly respond well to such an attitude. We got a top rule "Be Lovely" that's strongly enforced in these parts.

steps exept for port forwarding and it doesnt work.

That's your problem. Since you don't want the "technical mumbo jumbo" it doesn't matter that common ports are open, Project Zomboid doesn't use a common port. If you two are trying to connect via external IP addresses, your router (or windows firewall to be fair) is going to be blocking that connection. I digress though, you don't need to be using external IP addresses. Assuming you found the correct file to run for the server here's two things. (I'm going to make the assumption you and your wife are on the same network. Not an unreasonable one)

1. You (Hoster of the server) should connect to the server by putting this into the IP field "localhost" without the "". 

2. Click start and find cmd (use search) run it and a command prompt will pop up. Type in

ipconfig

A bunch of stuff will pop up. There will be a line that says "IPv4 Address" then it will have a string of numbers. 192.XXX.X.XXX or something. Give that to your wife and tell her to connect to the server with that IP. It should then resolve itself. If there are further problems, you can come back and we'll go further into the issue if this doesn't fix it.