Minecraft brought by Microsoft!

Keepbro

Well, if someone wanted to pay me 2.5 billion for an old product that is starting to die down, I'd be thrilled. I could go off, not worry about money ever again, and make whatever games I wanted. Not entirely sure how Microsoft plan on making any profit from it though - must have a few thngs up their sleeve.

Minecraft 2 exclusively for Xbox One for 39.99 USD. I guess they are going really hard on damage-controlling their pretty-bad start up in this new console generation.

People saying Minecraft won't bring in any more money... I had a giggle.

It's a superb marketing and merchandise machine so obviously it's not just going to be game sales.

Microsoft is going to make more profit off Minecraft than they would have made if they just brought those 2.5 billion to the bank. And that's what counts for them and for those kind of deals. Is it going to be worth it for them? Absolutely.

I'm wondering why nobody mentioned merchandise yet. Plushies, books about Redstone and so on... this is money gain even when everyone has the game.

I think with Microsoft behind Mojang we "might" see more merchandise incoming.

If this is a way to get merchandise out of a game, TIS get bought by MS and sell spiffos <3 (joke!)

Microsoft overpaid by almost $2.5 Billion.

Speaking as someone with a lot of friends who have kids at Minecraft age, I'm not so sure about this. It's a foundation of childhood now - electronic Lego - and isn't even close to maxxing out on infants who grow into it every day.

When you refuse to take into account the fact that Microsoft has an extraordinary talent in fucking things up through rigid corporate thinking, it's an investment that'll pay off.

Electronic LEGO is right. Hell, LEGO has never made more money than it does today, and it's existed since forever.

Who knows, maybe they'll buy licenses a la LEGO/the LEGO games, and make Minecraft: Star Wars, Minecraft: Marvel...

If they end up on a similar level as the Lego games, I'm going to be okay with that.

The reason why I don't think mc will bring any money is because all the sales would be preaching to the young generation. Anyone over the age of 12 should know how stupid it is to buy a red stone book guide or a building guide. Any hardcore fan already has the tee shirts and mob plushies. How would you make dlc for a game like minecraft? Are they going to make you pay for new world seeds? Raising the price of the game would be redundant because everyone has it. The only way for Microsoft to make any money would be to really focus on the nieve generation, even then to break even you have to make 2.5 billion dollars. No way they will ever make enough money off minecraft and minecraft merc to do that.

Profit margins on merch is pretty low, too, especially since they do it through J!NX if I recall correctly. I feel confident they'll make it back, though- I doubt they would have paid for it otherwise.

They already charge for skins, so you've got a DLC right there. How about texture packs? There's lots of ways to continue to monetize that brand, just base game sales aren't the way.

I find Minecraft painfully boring . . .

I became like you. Though, I really did enjoy its initial releases, where world terrain generation was rather fantastical.

I'd mirror this sentiment as well. It was great fun in its novelty, but when that wore off and the terrain generator was homogenized and neutered my interest quickly dwindled.

I find Minecraft painfully boring . . .

I became like you. Though, I really did enjoy its initial releases, where world terrain generation was rather fantastical.

I'd mirror this sentiment as well. It was great fun in its novelty, but when that wore off and the terrain generator was homogenized and neutered my interest quickly dwindled.

absolutly share this too... early versions had a much more interesting landscape. I loved the humble smp beginnings back then *nostalgia <3* when me and a few m8s build a huge detailed village into a kinda valley...

*i'm away... wallowing in memories whilst beer, pizza and chips*

• 3 weeks later...

I feel kinda sad. I was playing since the early days. I didn't really like the updates after Beta 1.8 (Well, it kinda started at 1.2.5ish stage). But I don't blame Notch, I respect him. After what he did, and if any human being could resist 2.5 billion (Um, well... thats a lot of moooneeeeyyyy,). I wish him luck for any other projects he has in mind, but I doubt he will ever make a game better than what MC became.

This is my personal opinion.

• MadDan locked this topic