Minecraft brought by Microsoft!

Keepbro

Minecraft has been bought by Microsoft

I'm very curious to hear people's opinions on this. Topics to consider on this subject are:-

1. Has Notch sold out? Is selling out acceptable? If someone offered you $2.5 billion for a game you made would you take that deal?

2. What will Microsoft do with Minecraft? Will it become more expensive? Will they change it to make it crap?

3. Microsoft? Would you have preferred a different company to buy it out? EA maybe?

4. Is this buy-out making you feel angry/sad/happy/suicidal/filled with holy rage ready to call jihad on infidel COD players?

Minecraft has been bought by Microsoft

I'm very curious to hear people's opinions on this. Topics to consider on this subject are:-

1. Has Notch sold out? Is selling out acceptable? If someone offered you $2.5 billion for a game you made would you take that deal?

2. What will Microsoft do with Minecraft? Will it become more expensive? Will they change it to make it crap?

3. Microsoft? Would you have preferred a different company to buy it out? EA maybe?

4. Is this buy-out making you feel angry/sad/happy/suicidal/filled with holy rage ready to call jihad on infidel COD players?

1. No he hasn't sold out. His reasoning is quite reasonable and I mean really, as above it all we might consider ourselves. We're talking about an amount of money where you never have to worry financially ever again and your children probably don't need to worry financially in anyway either. It's a bit of a no brainer. I want to say I wouldn't take the deal, but most likely I would then just split off and start another company and continue working. Probably share some of that money between employees.

2. Minecraft 2.

3. Devolver Digital if I could. I like those guys, they're cool guys. I think there's probably not a publisher I would trust with an IP like Minecraft (not even Valve)

4. I'm a little sad and frustrated. I think that at the moment there aren't really that many "Big indie companies" anymore that have such a drawing power and resource they can share with the community I liked the idea of Mojang remaining independent from a publisher, and if the recent console launch is any evidence Microsoft can really fuck up when it matters most.

I'm sorry, but for 2.5 billion, chances are the majority of people would sell anything.

I can understand Notch's reasoning and who's to say Mojang is in bad hands with Microsoft?

(besides, was Notch really a fitting head for Mojang? Of course, it's super coolski to have someone charismatic accomplish something like this and serve as some sort of idol, but was that what's best for MC/Mojang?)

I'm not entirely sure if the company and IP (IPs?) are worth 2.5 billion $ but who am I to judge.

I do not care about the buyout since I've gotten my 10$ worth out of Minecraft.

I'm just curious what's to come and I am definitely going to make snarky comments in case Mojang is going to be the next Rare.

All in all, I just hope Notch and the other Mojang employees - no matter if they stay or leave - will be okay and be able to do what they want to do.

My rage is reserved for when EA buys Indie Stone.

If I was a game dev and someone was going to buy my company/IP for that amount, I would have no doubt about selling it.

A wise man once said:

If I sold something I made for $2.5 billion then I'd spin round and round in my chair and have the biggest wank in the world.

I'm sorry, but for 2.5 billion, chances are the majority of people would sell anything.

I can understand Notch's reasoning and who's to say Mojang is in bad hands with Microsoft?

(besides, was Notch really a fitting head for Mojang? Of course, it's super coolski to have someone charismatic accomplish something like this and serve as some sort of idol, but was that what's best for MC/Mojang?)

I'm not entirely sure if the company and IP (IPs?) are worth 2.5 billion $ but who am I to judge.

I do not care about the buyout since I've gotten my 10$ worth out of Minecraft.

I'm just curious what's to come and I am definitely going to make snarky comments in case Mojang is going to be the next Rare.

All in all, I just hope Notch and the other Mojang employees - no matter if they stay or leave - will be okay and be able to do what they want to do.

My rage is reserved for when EA buys Indie Stone.

If I was a game dev and someone was going to buy my company/IP for that amount, I would have no doubt about selling it.

A wise man once said:

If I sold something I made for $2.5 billion then I'd spin round and round in my chair and have the biggest wank in the world.

"It’s not about the money. It’s about my sanity."

Notch was the idol who made the early minecraft, meaning "classic" or "indev" early... but the recent additions came from the team behind him. He was clearly not that involved later, so it's good for him to say goodbye and make the path free for others to make "something" out of the Minecraft we now have.

If Microsoft is the right partner for this? I honestly dont know yet, i liked the fact that Mojang was indie and not that focused on financial things. I already disliked the idea behind the extra skins for money on consoles... *dlc - sigh*

If Microsoft pushes Minecraft or makes a Minecraft 2 with whatelse major additions - why not? If they make a money-making cow out of it, they will probably get a shitstorm thats pretty fucked up - but even then they will sell enough due "Minecraft" Label...

2,5 Billion -> 2,5Milliarden? Due long or short ladder system confussion, what exactly is meant?

It's a business in the end. Notch made an amazing game, launched an unfathomably succesful company, and now sold it for a shitton of gold.

What would make me angry would be if any employees were stepped on in the process, but I imagine with this kind of money they're all sitting pretty sweet. And I can sympathize with the fact that he didn't want the responsibility of owning a gazillion dollar company, and much rather would play with making new games. Now he's got the security to do so forever if he so wishes. That just seems like the dream.

Well done, Notch. Hope you have fun in your future projects. :)

How is achieving commercial success "selling out"? What is this? The 60's?

I am happy for him and wish that someday I can "sell out" similarly and secure my entire family economically for the forseeable future. Also, Microsoft is pretty cool, they make shit cellphone software but overall I still stick with them. I had no qualms with AoE being under MS so why would I about Minecraft?

All in all, I think it is an interesting turn of events that may well up the investment into microsoft again and maybe bring back a more game-centric focus. Which could be cool for a huge corporation like that.

Well, if someone wanted to pay me 2.5 billion for an old product that is starting to die down, I'd be thrilled. I could go off, not worry about money ever again, and make whatever games I wanted. Not entirely sure how Microsoft plan on making any profit from it though - must have a few thngs up their sleeve.

Even more so when you've intentionally distanced yourself from said product and felt disconnected from its surrounding community for a long time.

Well, if someone wanted to pay me 2.5 billion for an old product that is starting to die down, I'd be thrilled. I could go off, not worry about money ever again, and make whatever games I wanted. Not entirely sure how Microsoft plan on making any profit from it though - must have a few thngs up their sleeve.

Even more so when you've intentionally distanced yourself from said product and felt disconnected from its surrounding community for a long time.

Understandably so.

It's interesting floating from community to community and seeing the difference opinions on him, it's almost maddening to see all these different pictures of the same man.

Personally i got my moneys worth of minecraft long ago and i don't, so this does not really effect me, but this is a very interesting topic.

1: In the end, you made the game to make a profit. 2.5 billion dollars is enough money to last his family for generations, so yes it is acceptable. 

2:Minecraft has been finished being developed on pc and xbox  for a while now so i dont think that Microsoft and really "destroy" minecraft. Seeing as many players already have minecraft, I do not see how microsoft can really profit from buying minecraft. You would only be getting very young costumers that may or may not already have the game. 

3: Im glad that microsoft bought minecraft. EA , in my opinion is the WORST company in the world. If they bought minecraft they would probably have 1 base seed and make you pay for anymore seeds. 

4: Like Connall said, im as sad that the last big indie developers exist no longer.

4: Like Connall said, im as sad that the last big indie developers exist no longer.

Bungie?

Valve?

Double Fine?

Ninja Theory?

Epic?

Gearbox?

Sucker Punch? (which might be owned by Sony now idk?)

Bungie, gearbox, sucker punch and valve are not indie any more in my opinion, they have made the leap to bigger company

Double fine, ninja theroy and epic are leaping to larger companys

Bungie, gearbox, sucker punch and valve are not indie any more in my opinion, they have made the leap to bigger company

Err. "big indie developers"?

They are as independent as one can get.

Just because they're not making relatively low budget games (or games with a relatively low production "value")?

Err. "big indie developers"?

They are as independent as one can get.

Just because they're not making relatively low budget games (or games with a relatively low production "value")?

Yeah, I thought indie was short for independent as in, the people making the game don't have to answer to a publisher.

I am of the opinion that he did not 'sell out' and moreover, I am sure that the vast majority of us would have done the same thing. I know I would have. Think about it, the game has already "had its run" and is now really not making huge profits like it used to.

Plus his family never has to worry again, with a little bit of investing and care, his fortune will last his family forever.

Heck, even if it was selling out I'd take that kind of cash, financial security for your family for the foreseeable future is an awesome concept.

All in all, I think it is an interesting turn of events that may well up the investment into microsoft again and maybe bring back a more game-centric focus. Which could be cool for a huge corporation like that.

Worth noting that while this is a sentiment I somewhat mirror, it's unlikely to happen. Microsoft came out in a pretty big way and said they didn't care about their xBox brand and that it was really just a hobby and testing ground for them. They don't make much money on it compared to the corporation as a whole, and it's something they're obviously not very invested in. Also, GFWL going away doesn't instill much hope for me, either.

About the OP, I'm not really worried about it. I don't care about any of Mojang's other projects and I haven't been crazy about the content blasting focus they've had recently. The amount of money to be made from Minecraft is obviously reaching a low point where everyone who wants it, has it. There isn't anyone left who hasn't heard about MC, and they'll never make 2.5 bil back on just game sales. So that leaves DLC, xpacs, and sequels- none of which concern me. I've got my copy of MC, and I've got a few copies of older builds backed up as "just in case's". Nothing Microsoft can do with MC has the potential to effect me, so I'm not going to sweat it. If they do something cool, then that's great. If they don't or they just fuck it up, I'm not going to lose any sleep.

I feel bad for Notch, though. He's doing this because he doesn't want to be a celebrity and wants to develop obscure games for fun, but he'll never find obscurity again; no matter what he does, millions of people will be watching. So I wish him the best of luck, but I don't think he's going to find what he's looking for.

• MadDan locked this topic