"Age" counts into ability to learn "more"

okeer

Hey folks,

while reading this -> Average Joe i came up with a idea i'm not sure about myself, but i wanted to share to see what you think about.

Out of the discussion of above linked thread i came up with following:

Why not factor the "Age time" (Survival time) in how many skills you can learn.

In short, the guideline is to go through every character you can think of in TWD and imagine there being in a random scene in an episode of them doing whatever it is, and if for any of the characters that seems really odd, out of character, and out of their skillset, then its probably not an 'Average Joe' situation..

The idea of this game is to say 'what would you do if there actually WAS a zombie apocalypse. Like you, IRL, what's your plan?' and to start filling the game with unrealistic things that almost no one would or could do, just in case one in 10,000 actually happens to have some really unusual skill that may prove helpful, is basically against the core premise of the game. The same reason why people aren't running around with assault rifles, flame throwers, grenades and katanas aren't found in every cupboard (though I don't doubt the assault rifles will make an appearance with the army, and katanas may be added as a SUPER rare item at some point)

Ok, so the shit hit the fan and i'm in this fucked up world with zombies on mass and me with everything around what i had before this, so probably generic stuff and nothing fancy.

I can learn carpentry stuff or how to cook, firing a gun, reloading, fishing etc.

I probably can even learn carpentry, cooking and maybe even fishing simultaneous...

...but i cant level everything with the same speed

(Tried learning several other more in-depth things during your school or apprenticeship? You probably had a hard time, now factor a zombie apocalypse in there... thats what i mean)

The idea is to limit the specialization we can achieve by spending skill points.

Right after start i should prioritize on which skill to lvl first.

0s -> 1week: maybe one LVL3 Skill, or three LVL1 Skills -> a max. of 3 points spend...

1week -> 2weeks: LVL5 skill or more low level skills -> a max. of 5 points spend...

and so on... hopefully this makes clear what i mean.

The possible points i can spend should be dependant on how long i survived yet.

We currently have this "overall lvl" which grants us skill points to spend, i dont know yet if/how to implement this in there...

...just came up with this and couldnt let this go unheard.

Essentially it's a skill cap. I played a few games that worked that way. It was kinda boring, cause all it does is limit gameplay pointlessly. Sit and twiddle thumbs and wait for time to pass - bored.

Plus it's not realistic. It's not time and age that makes us learn. Time and age just happen naturally anyway.

It's repeated exercise and practice which make us learn. And that takes time anyway, so.

I know it's a skill cap, but would it be plausible if YOU just end up in above situation. Could you learn all skills within a week (ingame possible due not yet balanced XP gain and/or fast grinding mechanics)

The cap should be high enough to not block you while focused on one or two skills, but limit your ability to just rush to all LVL5 and lose another source of "what to do". This is part of balancing I guess.

It is arguably that I learn to build perfect walls/bars by barricading my window a thousand times.

It's not time and age that makes us learn BUT influences on how much/fast we can learn - and that's realistic and real

skill caps are terrible

At least said something or what?

This post is in no way productive (i dont count that minimum statement that he dislikes skill caps).

*sigh*

Well in most games all they do is annoy people. Also I have trouble getting all my skills in a week to level 5 I don't know your methods but i would really like to know (also exp after level 6 takes a while) your methods in leveling. Plus you failed to mention 

Plus it's not realistic. It's not time and age that makes us learn. Time and age just happen naturally anyway.

It's repeated exercise and practice which make us learn. And that takes time anyway, so.

Which is true

Plus you failed to mention

Which is true

It's not time and age that makes us learn BUT influences on how much/fast we can learn - and that's realistic and real

It is arguably that I learn to build perfect walls/bars by barricading my window a thousand times.

If the system simply limits us, i agree with you.

If the system forces us to focus on one thing first and still leaves us the possibillity to max everything later if we survived long enough, i would like this idea.

You have a goal to survive a specific amount of time, which for me would be another argument to play more.

It would extend the gametime, limiting only rushing playstyles, since only them would greatly notice this barrier.

I'd rather just do away with experience oriented skill points and instead implement something called focus points. Gives you a bonus towards leveling up certain skills because you're focusing on learning them over learning other things. Everything else can still be leveled up, but it's harder to do because your character is focusing on learning something else. This way you can choose to specialize your character into certain skill sets to help encourage team work. This guy is the farmer, that guy is the cook, this guy is the trapper and that one is the carpenter.

I'd rather just do away with experience oriented skill points and instead implement something called focus points. Gives you a bonus towards leveling up certain skills because you're focusing on learning them over learning other things. Everything else can still be leveled up, but it's harder to do because your character is focusing on learning something else. This way you can choose to specialize your character into certain skill sets to help encourage team work. This guy is the farmer, that guy is the cook, this guy is the trapper and that one is the carpenter.

Would you mind getting more into detail, sounds interesting :)

Well, the basic idea behind it is to support a group dynamic and encourage people to form groups and factions. In real life, mastering a skill of any kind takes hours, days, weeks, months or even years of dedication. You pretty much have to throw yourself into it and give it your all if you want to become a true master as opposed to someone who is merely passable or at best competent. So the game could reflect that by allotting you a certain number of focus points that you can assign into different skill categories to signify that your character is working harder at leveling them up. Any skill that doesn't have a focus point becomes exponentially harder to level up past, say, two. You could still do it, I imagine, but it'd be harder.

A character with focus points would have a much easier time mastering a certain skill and as such would be more valuable to have in a team. The inverse of this would be Jack of All Trades type characters that assign no focus points at all, instead choosing to have a myriad of low to mid level skills. Such characters would be good to play as individuals rather than as a part of the group and this would be reflected by them having to focus on a bunch of different skills to cover all of their bases so they can make sure they have everything they need.

But that's just the basic idea. I figure it'd be better than the current skill point system but then again I've never been fond of the skill point system as it stands anyway.