Latched Doors and Keys

Brybry

So I've been working (and mostly have working) doors that you can be 'latched' or locked from the inside.

The major caveat is that they only work on building boundaries (much the same way current default locked doors work.)

I'm also expanding it to allow for locking doors that can be locked/opened from the outside using keys. That's very much so WIP.

The way I plan it to work is that keys will spawn in residential buildings (which works but needs loot balancing) and then the player will be able to knock out the building's doors for the doorknobs that those keys will work on.

Keys will only work with doorknobs scavenged from the same building that they came from.

I feel like this gives a good reason to go out and loot more interesting things rather then sit in place in base and craft up. And it's realistic.

I'm not sure if I'll put a visual indicator or not for keys/doorknobs or if players will just have to guess what matches just like you have to in real life. I'm open to ideas there.

If you want to see how I've done things or give what I currently have a spin you can find the code here:

After getting keyed doors working well I might move on to trying locking containers. I dunno.

• 1 month later...

Awesome idea! Will definitately look at your sourcecode too.

I'm not sure if I'll put a visual indicator or not for keys/doorknobs or if players will just have to guess what matches just like you have to in real life. I'm open to ideas there.

I think you shouldn´t include any visual clues. It would be perfect though if you could make it a setting within one of the lua files, so people can choose if they want a visual help.

Awesome idea! Will definitately look at your sourcecode too.

I think you shouldn´t include any visual clues. It would be perfect though if you could make it a setting within one of the lua files, so people can choose if they want a visual help.

I had settled on makings keys and doorknobs renameable as a good middle ground.

I was working on having zombies drop keys and then have that key be attached to the closest nearby valid house but I ran into some issues with being able to access the map on the server to do that.

I've honestly had this on my back burner more compared to other ideas as I think it'll be more useful when NPCs are out and at the moment in multiplayer a sheet rope works well as a locked door.

When I get back to this mod I think I want to get rid of the custom door object that I use and instead just have everything work on the base wooden door (and it'd be really nice if I could have it work on base isodoors as well but I'm not sure if I'll be able to do that.)