Ladders.

From what I can tell. Very common. I have a pair, my neighbours have a pair, and people generally have ladders, And if you don't you will never get to high places in life.

Simple things, they help you go up.

They are moveable.

You already have static ladders on the map.

So, just add ladders to the game?

Acquisition

Can be found or

Can be crafted (Simple crafting I guess)

I-I

I-I

I-I

I-I

I-I 

Cons

You have to carry them. Makes you walk a lot slower, Requires both hands as equipped and very heavy (Just like a Corpse) Your easier to grab and slow down.

Uses

Basically acts like a sheet rope, but you can move it, and place it up against a wall only.

Why?

It's a common thing, Used for a long time in history, easily made, acts as a way to climb onto a roof, or into someones previously impenetrable fortress.

And also, beats having to build stairs everytime we want to go up a level.

Its actually pretty easy to climb up a sheet rope. You just loop the sheet around on foot using a half hitch, and wrap it around the opposite hand using the same. When you apply pressure with you foot, the knot locks and you slide your hand up. You then remove pressure from the knot on your foot by taking the weight with your hand and slide your foot up. Rinse repeat. Its sort of like crawling up the rope like a caterpillar. The knots in the sheets take a second or two to shake through, but its remarkable easy. It works great with sheets since they slide over themselves so well because they are designed to be sleek because, well, you lay on them all night, they'd want to be soft.

Its actually pretty easy to climb up a sheet rope.

Sure, but is it easy when you're carrying an axe, a shotgun, and a full rucksack?

Did it no worries when I was doing my volunteer fire fighting training. I was wearing structure gear, a tool belt and BA. Volunteer training isnt intense at all. Its one night a week, for 2 hours, 3 times a month - mostly lectures in the non-bushfire season. I'm not exceptionally fit or anything. Its mostly mechanical advantage. Since you lock onto the rope, you can 'rest' (like you can rest in pushups at locked arm, or bent arm) between each lift. If you could hang with both hands, or stand up from a squat with the gear on, you could climb a sheet rope with it.

The action is just 'hang and lift legs - stand up - hang and lift legs - stand up'.

Sounds like an aquired skill to me.  I don't have a problem with the idea that it could be done (with a full load) with a trait or a certain skill level in the nimble skill.  Even then, I would like to see two free hands required.  I don't think it's something most people know how to do though.

I guess what I'm getting at is this.  In the current build, it is often easier and faster to just climb a 3 story sheet rope into a window, even with encumberance 40+, than it is to take the stairs.  That just seems to be pretty counter to reality.

Ok then, how about I put it this way - Its MUCH harder to lower your self down a sheet rope safely then is is to climb one.

Climbing one, you use you legs. The motion that you are doing is basically standing up. Locking your self onto the rope is hardly an 'acquired skill' - its wrapping the rope around your foot and hand.

Lowering your self down a sheet rope is all arm strength. You cant lock your feet onto the rope. It is hand over hand lowering your self. To be able to lower yourself (carrying an axe, a shotgun, and a full rucksack, as someone so stated) would require the upper body strength for you to be able to lift yourself AND your gear from your chest to above your head.

Right now you can test which is easier. Go get a decent bit of weight (anything) and tie a rope (heh or a bit of sheet to it). Stand up and hold it with both hands at your throat and lift your hands above your head and then lower it down - bloody hard isn't it? Now squat and hold the rope and just stand up and then squat back down - bloody easy isn't it? You legs are power houses if you work out or not - arms, not so much.

Sounds like an aquired skill to me.  I don't have a problem with the idea that it could be done (with a full load) with a trait or a certain skill level in the nimble skill.  Even then, I would like to see two free hands required.  I don't think it's something most people know how to do though.

I guess what I'm getting at is this.  In the current build, it is often easier and faster to just climb a 3 story sheet rope into a window, even with encumberance 40+, than it is to take the stairs.  That just seems to be pretty counter to reality.

Compared to walls and other things you can currently build, ladders are easy. Perhaps require a certain level of carpentry. But that's  all.

From my prespective the only difference between sheet ropes and ladders is that a ladder can be used to get in insead of out

You do know you can get in and out using a sheet rope right? I do agree if your point is to walk up put ladder up to the window and clime up and look to see if it locked or not that I can see.

As to the OP great idea. As many zombie moves show us up is the best way to lose a zed. Less there a nice stairs for the zombies to use.  I will offen in my sandbox game find a two story house. I will nail shut the first floor and hang a few sheet ropes out and go in out that way.

From my prespective the only difference between sheet ropes and ladders is that a ladder can be used to get in insead of out

You do know you can get in and out using a sheet rope right? I do agree if your point is to walk up put ladder up to the window and clime up and look to see if it locked or not that I can see.

As to the OP great idea. As many zombie moves show us up is the best way to lose a zed. Less there a nice stairs for the zombies to use.  I will offen in my sandbox game find a two story house. I will nail shut the first floor and hang a few sheet ropes out and go in out that way.

Yes I know I can get in with a sheet rope but what I meant was that you can break inside if you had a ladder

The point is:

Find a 2story building, destroy the stairs and you're pretty settled against Zeds and players.

They can come in (up) when you leave the sheet rope hanging but without they would have to build stairs to get to you.

Balanced ladders would counter this and open us new possibilities of moving around.

Imagine you could lay down a ladder to cross a 1 or 2 wide gap between buildings and pick up again from the other side (last of us)

Even if this is mostly my technique in mp I would like the addition of ladders.

The point is:

Find a 2story building, destroy the stairs and you're pretty settled against Zeds and players.

They can come in (up) when you leave the sheet rope hanging but without they would have to build stairs to get to you.

Balanced ladders would counter this and open us new possibilities of moving around.

Imagine you could lay down a ladder to cross a 1 or 2 wide gap between buildings and pick up again from the other side (last of us)

Even if this is mostly my technique in mp I would like the addition of ladders.

A bridge across a gap would be great! Perhaps even in Large City when crossing a building (Roof or Windows)

I like that idea ^^