Chainsaw

Icewind

Just one thing tho, the chainsaw is probably the worst weapon ever in a zombie apocalypse, even a plank is way better...

Ahhmmm  what????

Seriously!! Why??

Yes, it is loud, I know, so it will definitely draw zed’s to your location… but, it’s the perfect tool to cut legs, hands and heads of all who near! It’s a “one touch kill” weapon!

It is a MUST have weapon for every zombie apocalypse I can imagine…

Because the movies you've seen it in are wrong. The chainsaw is a terrible weapon, as it is a purpose built tool designed for cutting wood and wood alone. If you try to cut a zombie with it the flesh will clog the chainsaw's engine and break it before you've even made it to the bone. PZ tries to take a more realistic approach in most everything it does, so it stands to reason to make sure anyone who tries to use the chainsaw as the awesome weapon they think it is gets to die horribly as a result.

You’ve ruined my dreams! :cry:
Since The Evil Dead movie, I knew that chainsaw is a “must have” weapon in case of zombie invasion. Well, and the shotgun, of course. ))

I thought only a direct bite or a scratch is infected….
If getting in contact with zed’s blood is also a way to get infection… then yes, chainsaw is probably not a best tool to kill zombies. :???:

All I can say is watch Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome in the big dome fight. Then tell me you want to fight with a chainsaw. If you ever tried to started a chainsaw it take a few pulls of the cord.  I would rather have the frying pan as a weapon at that point you will know it will work. Now if your not worried about the nose (IE there are no zed's close by) a chainsaw will make short work out of any live or dead trees that are around.

Now I am sure if not already someone will build a mod with a chain saw. That will work like they do in movies like Army of Darkness. But that will let people chose to keep it real or let them just have fun with it.

I had an Idea.

Say you really mess up your hand, like, when you went out looting, that prick John ,who used to be your neighbor, (I.E. A douche NPC) shot your hand with his new 12 gauge buckshot. John sure did always brag about that gun, didn't he? So as you are running away, zeds show up. You lock yourself in potato farmer Ted's shed. Your losing a lot of blood from Mr.shoot-and-rob-later John. The shed will hold for a couple dozen minutes, because you somehow managed to barricade the doors and windows with one hand.

You look around and see: A chainsaw, and an ax. You also see a small blowtorch. You decide you might as well do an extreme amputation, good thing you were a doctor before this all happened. You see the ax, too rusted and dirty, you say. You look at the chainsaw. It looks quite clean, and barely used. As you have extreme trouble getting yourself to do this, you take a swig of that liquor you always bring with you, you alcoholic you. And you take off your belt and hold it in your mouth.  You saw that puppy off from the wrist down, so lucky it didn't choke up, and that it had gasoline.

As you are crying out in pain, about to pass out, you just can't get enough. You use that blowtorch to cauterize the wound, which felt a thousand times worse, and now your wondering if it was worth it, because all this hurts more than it did before you started. You take out a sheet to wrap that gross stub up, grab that ax, and pray for the best. You survived the procedure, but will you survive whats next? Those zeds are coming in any second now...

The chainsaw would just about be the worst possible tool you could use for this job. You'd make the wound a thousand times worse before you ever managed to cut off the damaged hand. A chainsaw is not designed for cutting people.

I'm not talking full fledged chainsaws, but you know, one of those small ones could work.  Like the one from fallout.

20110209065559!Ripper_FO3.png

Basically, the point of what I said is that if at all anything, it could be an option for surgery.

The chainsaw would just about be the worst possible tool you could use for this job. You'd make the wound a thousand times worse before you ever managed to cut off the damaged hand. A chainsaw is not designed for cutting people.

But on the contrary, the chainsaw was indeed invented to cut into people in the 18th century. 

Mostly for baby makin'!

I'm not talking full fledged chainsaws, but you know, one of those small ones could work.  Like the one from fallout.

Basically, the point of what I said is that if at all anything, it could be an option for surgery.

But on the contrary, the chainsaw was indeed invented to cut into people in the 18th century. 

Mostly for baby makin'!

Because the chainsaw sword from Fallout is something that exists.

Mostly for baby makin'!

Because the chainsaw sword from Fallout is something that exists.

I said that because it resembles those things used to trim hedges. I think that's what they're for. :lol:

stihl_hs246_hedge_trimmer.jpg

Sorta like that.

But basically, you wouldn't have to use it. In fact, it could have like a 10% survival rate, its just for drastic measures. I think using it as a weapon isn't reaching it's full potential, and sawing trees with it is okay, but I would love to see like a new player try it, or even a desperate guy in need. It'd be something I tell yah!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqkLWTL79-E - Not for the faint of heart - titled "Cut off moose head with chainsaw". Thankfully its pretty low quality footage.

If you notice, it takes about 40 seconds for that tiny chainsaw to go through a moose neck, which is about as thick as a human torso. As someone who has used a chainsaw to carve up kangaroos (to be used for dogmeat) those things go through flesh like a hot knife through butter. Thats why if you Google right now, you would find AT lot of stories of someone loosing a limb to them. If you gave someone a decent smack in the back of the neck with one of those, you would destroy their spinal cord.

Some of the smaller ones only weight 4-5kg (around 10 lbs) which doesnt take much effort to swing around for a while, it only being a few times heavier then a small crowbar...

• 1 year later...
On 9/14/2014 at 6:05 AM, RobertJohnson said:

Plus :

Chainsaw yes is VERY noisy, you already see in PZ noise is not your friend,

Chainsaw split blood everywhere, INFECTED blood !

It use petrol, you should store petrol for cars,

It's rather heavy,

It can break or fail...

etc..

Don't beleive movies, they all lie ! :D

On 9/14/2014 at 6:03 AM, Kajin said:

Because the movies you've seen it in are wrong. The chainsaw is a terrible weapon, as it is a purpose built tool designed for cutting wood and wood alone. If you try to cut a zombie with it the flesh will clog the chainsaw's engine and break it before you've even made it to the bone. PZ tries to take a more realistic approach in most everything it does, so it stands to reason to make sure anyone who tries to use the chainsaw as the awesome weapon they think it is gets to die horribly as a result.

Hi, not trying to stir up a "persuasive argument", but rather more of an intellectual food for thought kind of argument. Because i'm having a bit of trouble why people have an issue with the chainsaw as a weapon against zombies. I'll admit right away a bias I've always thought the chainsaw was a cool weapon for the zombie apocalypse, and i'd personally like to see it more as a combat weapon in certain scenarios, but this isn't a "Give me this thing cause I like it" persuasion. I'm not demanding or persuading for anything and i'm not trying to come off as demanding, but rather I just want to understand more. I apologize for grinding any gears for seeming just "ignorant", or anything of that nature I'm just curious about understanding. I'll note some points that caught my eye. 

• "Chainsaw being noisy" That's a good point, but so are guns. I don't think chainsaws would be good as a constant combat weapon, but moreover as something when you want to clear out hordes or something  in a scenario where you don't necessarily care about noise i.e. " Escaping a horde and just cutting through zombies to make a pathway out."
  • "Chainsaw spilling infected blood everywhere" Another good point, but baseball bats, axes, pencils, knives, etc. all have that potential effect of spilling infected blood on yourself and in close proximity. Fighting zombies I reckon infected blood almost always would be involved concerning conventional weapons. Wearing some kind of almost hazmat-like suit whether something legit, or improvised could prevent that. Cause if the blood gets you infected then you're going to need to protect from getting touched by it in the first place, chainsaw or not.
  • The petrol point seems pretty vital.
  • "It's rather heavy" Not every chainsaw is heavy. I've held some decently light chainsaws in my days. Also,  in theory, if we were in an apocalypse scenario a majority would have adapted to pretty optimal physical standards compared to a regular society where survival isn't as much of a concern.
  • "It can break or fail" Well so do all of the other weapons that are included in PZ. The chainsaw could just be another thing that needs to be regularly maintained just like in real life. A good thing to note too is that the blades would get very dull though, and sharpening the blades would be a tedious task, so finding new blades for the saw would be more of an issue.
  • "If you try to cut a zombie with it the flesh will clog the chainsaw's engine and break it before you've even made it to the bone." Well this may sound very dumb of me, but just my thinking.. If chainsaws can cut trees and ice. Shouldn't chainsaws be able to cut through flesh no problem? I could understand that after a while of not maintaining your chainsaw that it could get messed up, but I don't feel like it would just instantly break. The flesh clogging up the engine is the biggest point i've seen that interests me though. How would flesh "clog up the chainsaw's engine" and break it almost instantaneously? This isn't a personal attack, but just to address a possibly bias one may have. I feel that because you have a partiality to realism in Zomboid, that you may have a prejudice against movie's idea of zombie fighting with chainsaw. Although, not that all things done in a movie with chainsaws against zombies is exactly "realistic", but that doesn't mean throwing everything cause of the unrealistic representation often shown a lot.

Anyways, that should be it. I thought that the infected blood, and clogging up of the chainsaw were good points. I personally don't think it'd be a super terrible weapon, but not like a weapon that would make you invincible without consequences like noise, and gas requirements. I feel it'd be efficient as long as it's not used as some casual weapon to run through the streets of your town with when there are zombies nearby, and you don't have a way to transverse them, or you can't risk them coming to you. My bias is I really like chainsaws in zombie lore though lol. I'm not trying to start a big fuss; if the topic of chainsaws is a bit touchy I can get off of it. Just was more curious, and wanted to understand more. Cheers. = )

Edited by EchelontheEyeless
Awkward sentence.