Has anyone suggested allergies? No? Yeah.. That's what PZ needs.

0neHitCombo

If this suggestion has already been made.. then forgive me!

I figure with the addition of allergies (allergic to peanuts, or certain fruit.. or vegetables idk) it'll add a sort of.. constraint as to what the player can consume or not. I mean, what bigger slap in the face than to be on the brink of starvation and only have peanut butter to eat.

In addition to allergies, what about pharmacies that carry EpiPens, and infections, you know, when you smashed that window and decided to jump through it without making sure it was clear of glass.

I mean there are a thousand ways to take it and its just a suggestion.. It'd also be awesome if the player didn't have a choice of whether they were allergic to specific things.

Anyway.. everyone else has already thrown their suggestion in the bucket so I might as well... =]

I guess, it can be on the character creation list of bonuses and downsides that you pick for your character at the very beginning…

Allergy to some fruits (-4)

Allergy to some vegetables (-4)

And the interesting part of that is that you don’t know to which fruits or vegetables your character will have the allergy. Not until you eat them… :evil:

Better have pills prepared…

I like the idea.  :))

I'd like the idea in some ways but I'm not really 100% that it suits the PZ atmosphere somehow...

Oh and yes it's been suggested before. Here's a link if you want to read on it. :)

http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/6806-food-allergies-trait/?hl=%2Ballergy#entry89228

Instead of apologizing it in your post, which is totally unnecessary btw, you could try searching the topic beforehand. ;) It even takes roughly the same amount of time!

afaik it's more common with vegetables, but I'm not that interested in playing

russian roulette with maize and stuff :D

but allergies in general could be a quite interesting aspect; in spring or fall

there'd be an allergy developed against some grasses (or right now grasses in

general) and trees (regarding a greater variety of them), so that you e.g. have

to carry tissues in avoiding making loud noises (as it is with illness right now,

but actually I often went through the rain and got wet, but never an illness

evolved)

I guess, it can be on the character creation list of bonuses and downsides that you pick for your character at the very beginning…

And the interesting part of that is that you don’t know to which fruits or vegetables your character will have the allergy. Not until you eat them… :evil:

I like the idea. :))

That is not very realistic, as most adults know what they are allergic to.

I more so thought that the allergy would be randomized until you checked your character's status. 

It is possible to gain new allergies over the course of your life. It doesn't happen often but

it does happen.

I just had it last year, and many ppl round me too, when pollen count was pretty

high in Germany, that I had allergic symtoms for the first time in my whole life.

That e.g. could be an aspect regarding the Erosion feature; as nature gets back

built land, plant counts could go up leading to more reactions etc.

I for one don't have allergies, and I don't think anyone in my entire family does. I know few people who do, but I would prefer this wasn't something randomized and thrown onto your character, and I don't see the point in adding it unless it was as a negative option in character creation. Neat idea though.

Including mild and severe forms of asthma and hayfever... I can see them being traits to take at character creation. Depending on the season, and the severity you choose, your perception would decrease a bit, you'd cough/sneeze/sniff, and have your ability to run long distances affected to different degrees. It would probably act like a mashup of some of the existing negative traits (overweight, short-sighted), but the negative effects would only kick-in during certain times of the year, in differing parts of the map.

Come to think of it, hayfever, or a similar allergy, would work best in PZ. It's not life threatening, you can find medication to relieve the symptoms, but you can still function with a reaction in full swing. Which would be crucial for the late game. Eventually all the medication is going to run out after all. A nuisance condition that you can manage, but still function with, in other words. Could work well in conjunction with some of the other negative traits - You're all cranky from the recent scavenging run to the farm, but because you tend to brood on things, you'll be ticked off long after the allergen induced headache has passed.

For example: You've got a runny nose and a really annoying headache, but these logs aren't going to chop themselves. The wet cloth over your mouth and nose has helped a bit, but not much. Hopefully Frank won't keep on complaining about the 'hard, gruelling work' he's forced to do. He's the cook for frak's sake! He's not the one out here with mucus streaming from his nose and eyes, chopping the wood needed to stop everyone getting sick from drinking the lake water. You swear, if he whines again when you bring the firewood in, he's getting a knuckle sandwich...

So... yah. Mild allergies as a form of dynamic tension/drama to help group interactions along, or something :P