Steam Beta Release - 23rd Aug 2013 - Version 2.9.9.17

lemmy101

I've run into this bug twice now, just wanted to see if anyone is seeing this. Occasionally (and I do mean this isn't an every time thing) when attempting to climb through a window I opened, it will make my character freeze unable to move.

I think probably you're trying to climb through windows while in combat stance. That will crash the game every time, so try not to.

I've run into this bug twice now, just wanted to see if anyone is seeing this. Occasionally (and I do mean this isn't an every time thing) when attempting to climb through a window I opened, it will make my character freeze unable to move.

I have the same issue - It DOES seem to be triggered more often when trying to climb through a window when holding right mouse (for combat stance), but I've also had it happen when I wasn't in combat stance. I just climb through and end up on the other side - frozen in place. Zombies don't seem to be able to attack me. They SEE me and run up to me, but can't damage me.

** EDIT **

I've had the freezing in place issue come up while doing other activities, but I'm sure it's because I need to right-click things to do them. IE; I right click on a window to get the menu to pop up (this puts me in a combat stance, even though I'm not holding it down). When I left click to put up a curtain, I freeze up. This doesn't happen every time, but has happened more than once.

I think probably you're trying to climb through windows while in combat stance. That will crash the game every time, so try not to.

I have the same issue - It DOES seem to be triggered more often when trying to climb through a window when holding right mouse (for combat stance), but I've also had it happen when I wasn't in combat stance. I just climb through and end up on the other side - frozen in place. Zombies don't seem to be able to attack me. They SEE me and run up to me, but can't damage me.

** EDIT **

I've had the freezing in place issue come up while doing other activities, but I'm sure it's because I need to right-click things to do them. IE; I right click on a window to get the menu to pop up (this puts me in a combat stance, even though I'm not holding it down). When I left click to put up a curtain, I freeze up. This doesn't happen every time, but has happened more than once.

That sounds really dead on to what's happening, when I right click to climb through it happens, however I think my work around was to move my character (do a little shimmy and re positioning) then selecting the menu option to climb through.

Thanks for confirming for me! Hope it gets fixed soon, it's a real bother. Also restarting seems to fix it more often when I encounter it, but I think my first save is screwed over since I somehow teleported up my sheet rope from the floor above me, perpetually standing in the air... Oh well.

Hi there!

i use the steam beta version and yesterday i got the new 2.9.9.17 for the first time. Runs great, but my old save wasn't loading very fine ;(
When i loaded it, everything (beside blood!) was blacked out. When i finally started moving more than just a few steps, i got some new light and could see a little bit. But somehow my char was carrying a dark sphere around him. All buildings are VERY dark and get darker when i enter them. I thought: Well, seems to be a bug with my old save. I was trying to play it further and found lucky stuff (EVERY Zombie i killed dropped something special, Necklace, Rings, Ammunition, just lots and lots.) I started a new run, this darknes was killing me ... 

Everything was fine. No more special drops from zombies ( ;( ), but at least i could see again!
I died 2-3 times and finally found a good new spot and tried to survive. I saved, quit and drove home. Today i loaded the 2.9.9.17 Save from Yesterday and... everything (beside blood) was blacked out. Again i run with darkness around me and create darkness as i move ;(

Just an image of the darkness problem: http://imgur.com/cvnC9qY

Not a major concern, but curious as Steam spazzed out when I checked file integrity and insisted on adding a new file: "hs_err_pid6608.log". Is this supposed to be included? The fact it references Lemmydesktop and appears to be an error dump made me think no.

Also, should there be a duplicate of the examplemod folder in the "root" of PZ as well as the mods folder?

One more curiosity... the mod loader loaded.txt always has "Lockpicking" in it, even though I haven't got that mod installed, let alone activated.

found a death house in steam build

its similar to the house i found and posted in the old forums

sadly you die instant if you check out this house ... but i managed to take a screenshot

i really hope you see engough to identify this spot :)

http://i.imgur.com/jsOW3v3.jpg

edit : @  pic there is a little typo @ floor ;) ... but youll get it :D

This is a known problem. Mash already adressed it in the map specific problems thread.

Just a note that I went through all of the old thread and fixed what I could. I appreciate you guys running RoboMat's mod, as that made things WAY quicker!

A few things:

• I did not fix places where you could get stuck, because it's likely we'll be fixing that code-wise in the future.
  • There were a lot of reports of "missing walls"... those were intentional. Not all the rooms have a door to them :)
  • the ghost houses where you can walk through walls is a collision problem, not a map issue

Thanks for the reports! :)

okay ... indiestone should include coords in vanilla then ;)

but yeah downloaded your mod ;)

really hope they are able to find this location quick ;)

What I tried to tell you is, that there is no need to report it as it is already known :D

"the ghost houses where you can walk through walls is a collision problem, not a map issue"

One more curiosity... the mod loader loaded.txt always has "Lockpicking" in it, even though I haven't got that mod installed, let alone activated.

Don't worry about it. It is just Romain's sign of love for me.

Heh! I was wondering/hoping it meant your cool mod was going to get incorporated into the vanilla game (perhaps unlokced via a trait?).

found a death house in steam build

its similar to the house i found and posted in the old forums

sadly you die instant if you check out this house ... but i managed to take a screenshot

i really hope you see enough to identify this spot :)

http://i.imgur.com/jsOW3v3.jpg

edit : @  pic there is a little typo @ floor ;) ... but youll get it :D

Wait... that looks like my current safehouse location! Co-ordinates?

When i loaded it, everything (beside blood!) was blacked out. When i finally started moving more than just a few steps, i got some new light and could see a little bit. But somehow my char was carrying a dark sphere around him. All buildings are VERY dark and get darker when i enter them.

I have the exact same issue. When I first log in the entire screen is black (with only blood visible). Moving around will eventually brighten the screen, but then it starts in with the "dark sphere".

Screenshots:

Inside a building.

http://i.imgur.com/bVEqhJo.jpg

Outside during daylight hours. You can see the path I leave - I refrained from spelling out something fun for the screenshot.

http://i.imgur.com/H0J3Fqc.jpg

Brings me to black screen and then drops me back to windows.  Running windows 7 64 bit with latest JRE 32 bit.  Is there a way I can download the non steam version?

No.

Try deleting the Options.bin in %username%\zomboid (for Windows). It might just be an issue that affects full screen?

got an interesting bug that poped up with new test build....

When you attempt to enter window from outside it teleports you inside then you climb outside.. doesn't do it every were mostly windows with objects under them or just objects near them.

EDIT: Also just noticed i got a title have a clyde (clyde)

After getting the very latest hotfix/update with the mousewheel zoom added (I presume it's best to post in this thread still, though?), things seem even more stable, at least to me.

I haven't had a "darkness" bug yet after several hours and multiple reloads.

Still loving the new combat controls (once I remapped Shift to a spare mouse button) too! It's so great to be able to kill zombies "properly" after so many tweaks... combat difficulty feels so perfect to me right now (i.e. I'm actually fighting zombies, not the controls or bugs). Really happy with this!

Is the lighting/vision improved a bit now too? I walked into a closet and lost sight of everything outside, as I should... this didn't seem to happen so quickly/dramatically in previous builds, I'm recalling.

One reoccuring bug I hadn't mentioned or seen mentioned (sorry if I missed it) is that I personally have an issue between quitting and reloading in regards to "equipped" bags. My current character has two normal hiking bags, one worn on their back and one carriedin their left hand. When I quit and reload, this is "messed up" somehow: I'm over my carry weight (wasn't when I quit) and have to unequip and re-equip the bags. When i do, everything's fine again... but this happens every time I quit and reload. In fact, sometimes I had to drop/unequip/requip a few times to get the "over carry weight" moodlet to disappear. I just found that rather odd and confusing!

Interested to test how I experience zombie spawning, since it's an issue for a fair few people and was a complaint of mine in (much) earlier builds, far better as of .16 IMO. So far, only had major hoardes around commercial buildings (school, hotel, etc) and middle of town, which I assumed was "normal".

Anyway, keep up the awesome work, folks and thanks for all the effort to improve these builds! It's so cool to see this game coming together in leaps and bounds like this, and horrid bugs get squashed so fast. :)

Now, about those game-breaking sandwich icons... (just kidding!)

EDIT: Crap, I'm sure I forgot to mention in several posts now... THANKS FOR LIGHTER NIGHTS! Seriously, it killed enjoyment for me in earlier builds (now nights are dark but the game is still playable).

The steam build is a bit troublesome for me. :shock: Sorry. :-|

First: off it laggs witch each tile streamed. Making the gameplay a bit jerky.

Second:The game starts with a black screen.

Only the Inventory and UI are visible. Sounds/Music are playing. It takes about a minut or less for the  'black Fog' to clear.

During that time survivor is helples.

Third: All interioirs are revealed without having to look into the building. Black square around the player which fades after a time.

Tested .16 right after, and it played well as usual. :shock:

The newest update should fix that black screen on reload.

Mind ensuring you've updated? :/

It can be a bit hard to tell, frankly . . .

No, it's impossible to tell. :cry:

For what it's worth (and for others having trouble, since I did): for the latest "fix the darkness" hotfix, I had to:

1) delete the whole game (!)

2) reinstall/redownload

3) turn on beta updates (even though it was on before deleting/reinstalling)

4) exit Steam

5) restart Steam.

Annoying but it worked... and the update has got rid of the aforementioned bug for me so far., so worth the effort.

As to how to tell... since that update introduced using the mouse wheel to "zoom", fortunately I knew if it worked or not (if the mouse wheel zooms in and out, you have the update).

Wait... unless there's ANOTHER update? :shock: