Steam Beta Release - 23rd Aug 2013 - Version 2.9.9.17

lemmy101

Right click game in Steam, go into Properties, click BETAS tab and select the beta branch in the drop down. Warning, as with all non-official releases, backing up saves in C:\Users\<Username\Zomboid is recommended.

[New Stuff]

• Improved night time, is now lighter, still dangerously dark but not totally black.
  • Fixed crash bugs
  • Proper modding system (enable/disable mods in-game list) required to avoid mod related save problems etc)
  • Option to turn on/off multi-core rendering (defaults off for single core/linux)
  • Make the right click for world item much easier (selecting a sink for example).
  • When destroying something with items inside it (e.g. crates), the items are dropped on the ground.
  • If you destroy a crate and there's another crate on top of it, the crate fall.
  • New Survival Guide entrie for the Inventory Management.
  • Translation !
  • Come on baby light my fire.......  :D
  • Saves properly on sleep. Never lose more than a day with some unexpected crash or power loss.

[bug Fix]

• Got rid of weird square of light around player.
  • Fixed various crash with inventory.
  • Fixed drink/take water bugs.
  • Re-added tooltip for traits selection.
  • Equipped bag are now saved.
  • The animation for destroying wall is a bit faster.
  • Fixed various carpentry bugs.
  • You can now add a sheet rope over self-made windows frame, let's build a stairway to heaven with a sheet rope !
  • Crafted door fixed !
  • Fixed fast forward cooking bug.
  • Fixed various renderer / multi-core related bugs.
  • Fixed LOS bugs allowing you / zombies to see briefly through walls while moving about.

[balance]

• Reduced the chance for a zombie to become a crawler when you hit him.

[Known Issues]

• Small font a little too small for high resolutions, we'll increase the size of this before public release.

• Improved night time, is now lighter, still dangerously dark but not totally black.

While I wasn't a particular fan of the pitch black nightimes, it was rather interesting. Made torches a requirement instead of an option.

To that end, are there any chances of a variable night-time light level, perhaps based on a moon phase? I think it'd be quite interesting, and add an additional level of planning to nighttime incursions (I.E. Do I go out for supplies during the full moon so I can navigate easier but risk being seen, or do I wait for a new moon for additional concealment?). Plus, you could tie random events / zombie aggression / etc. to moon phase, which could be neat.

I realize this is more in the realm of a feature request / idea, but I wanted to mention it here while I was thinking on it.

Not sure how I feel about this. It'll help being able to navigate if you stupidly get stuck in the woods, but on the other hand it kinda makes the flashlight sort of useless.

Oh, and welcome back to changelogging, Lemmy. Robert didn't give free french food, so he got boring. Oh, how I would love some fresh, stinky, non-synthetic blue cheese.

For a long time I thought the game was too light at night. Just played build .16, was actually really impressed with how dark it got at night.

Nobody in their right mind would dare walk through a town at midnight, especially when the electricity is out. 

The brightness it's currently at is perfect in my opinion. It really makes street-lights and torches useful. Imagine walking through a forest at night, for your torch to flicker and run out. That's what makes Zomboid so damn immersive and fun.

I'd seriously consider keeping the brightness to current levels. 

I agree, I really liked that the darkness made flashlights necessary, maybe the tiniest bit lighter is okay, but overall I like the level. Or maybe add a menu option for the darkness (like one for now, and one for the 2.9.9.15 darkness level)

Well I'd prefer it to not be pitch black all night, since that's not how it works in real life. It's not pitch black until about 11-12, and then the sun starts to peak and shed a little light around 3-4, then turns over to dawn.

So, are barrels useless now?? I'm still on 15, shall i stay there?

Oh and 1 more thing. i came back to play after a few days. Went back to my safe house, and i'm pretty sure my wooden wall disappeared.   So did the texture of 2 fields ,1 of tomato and 1 of potatoes. I had 12 and i thought that those mentioned 2 teleported, but the info and the possibility to water was still there just like the others, but the square was just grass.

I'm pretty sure the walls disappeared because in my garden i had a wooden box but no other indication i did any carpentry but my level was 2,5 already.

1 more Q.  What does the cooking upgrade?

"proper modding system"

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This is a great addition! Sometimes i forget which mods are installed and I have to go through all the folders and check.. (>.< hassle..)

Too bad I don't see this persuading those who find "installing" mods to be difficult into using them; it sure does help us current users a lot though! Maybe one day we could have a modding system like in Don't Starve...

(one main mod folder, within that folder each individual mod is located in it's own folder) Then maybe more people would use them!

"proper modding system"

This is a great addition! Sometimes i forget which mods are installed and I have to go through all the folders and check.. (>.< hassle..)

Too bad I don't see this persuading those who find "installing" mods to be difficult into using them; it sure does help us current users a lot though! Maybe one day we could have a modding system like in Don't Starve...

(one main mod folder, within that folder each individual mod is located in it's own folder) Then maybe more people would use them!

This is exactly how it works. More like Skyrim really, where each mod folder 'overrides' the original and mirrors the file layout, the mod being active causes it to load its file instead, and the mods each override in turn to provide the modded game, so mods could be ordered to be compatible where they wouldn't have been before.

"proper modding system"

This is exactly how it works. More like Skyrim really, where each mod folder 'overrides' the original and mirrors the file layout, the mod being active causes it to load its file instead, and the mods each override in turn to provide the modded game, so mods could be ordered to be compatible where they wouldn't have been before.

You mean like various Mod Loaders for different games, like Fallout and The Elder Scrolls? Where I can move around my mods into a certain load order to fix compatibility issues?