Clarification on "How to" mod

Diogeno

Hello survivors,

I just recently started to put my hands on the lua language, knowing a bit of C and Java and I would like to ask your modus operandi for modding Project Zomboid.

Let me explain(and please correct me if I write monstruosity):

I'm writing simple .lua where I add items, change values etcetc. and i'm doing it reading both the Javadoc (http://theindiestone.com/zomboidjavadocs/) and the events that i found here(http://pz-mods.net/guide/event-reference/).

When I change something and I want to test it with the game opened, I save the .lua, disable the mod in the game menu' and then enable it again and load a save to see the changes.

The problem  is that the whole thing is time consuming since sometimes I do not know the use of what is in Javadoc, sometimes events don't work as I think they should and my way of testing the whole thing looks to me a lot unprofessional.

A simple example of what I mean:

I was using the  event OnWeaponSwingHitPoint (in that site is written that it "Triggers when the player succesfully attack and hit a zombie") and I was interpreting it something like " OnHit && OnAttack" while it was "OnHit || OnAttack" .

I decided then to try something else and i wanted to see on the screen without opening a window the health value of the player.

I looked for something userful in the javadoc and found getHealth(). I used it on the player but it was showing only 1 when alive and 0 on death and not a value for the health(10, 100, 1000) and it means that i probably took the wrong method.

This is why I'm asking:

what am i doing wrong in my way of doing things or is there a simpler way to work for a mod ?

And since I'm opening a topic, if it is not a problem to ask, how can i get the health of the player?

Thank you

getPlayer():getHealth() to retrieve it and health is a floating point number between 0 and 1 I do believe. So 80% ought to manifest as 0.8. Again this is speculation now because I haven't handled that in a while and don't have the code in front of me now. But I am fairly certain it is the case.

And the actual health and what the floating point represents is based on character fitness and such I do believe. Again, I only skimmed through the code some weeks ago on the matter and haven't touched it since or worked with it intimately.

And welcome to the Forums and happy modding :)

Hope to see you around, others will hopefully help more effectively than I.

Hmmm interesting, I'll check into it a bit as well.

EDIT: Ah you are correct, I am getting 1 when alive and -1 when dead, with absolutely no gradient in between. I shall have to look deeper into the system to figure out what is going on here :P

Edited by Viceroy

You can use the lua debugger to load your lua files while in game, so you won't have to do the whole process of reloading a mod. It doesn't necessarily work with all situations, but it's a ton of help!

I was able to use the lua debugger but it does nothing or at least I'm not able to use it. I can see the experimental reload file but nothing more. 

Any help with that is much appreciated. A pic of it:

Untitled.jpg

About the funtiontions, as you can see on the screenshot i'm trying to call getName, getDamage etc but they always their initialization(1, null, 0 etc.).

Anyone knows what i'm doing wrong?

function printT()  local player = getSpecificPlayer(0);  local health = player:getName();  print("Name");  print(health);  local age = player:getAge();  print("Age");  print(age);  endEvents.OnKeyPressed.Add(printT);

Thank you

Considering the error, it might well be because you're playing in debug mode.

getPlayer();getBodyDamage(): . . . something-something is probably what you want.

I'm not quite sure that i understood but if I use DrawString to get them ingame i get the same result(their values never change):

Untitled.jpg