Question about Build 29 *Sounds*

Johnny

I have an invisible dog, so what? he just eats and pisses on everything and I never know till after words.

I want an invisible dog! It'll scare my cat because its invisible, but yeah....

Another question.

Once dogs or NPC's are added, will they be making the barking or screaming?

Hmm. Should zeds be attracted by a dog barking though? What's their interest in it? I can understand them moving due to super-loud human noises like helicopters and gunshots but is a dog bark enough?

Just putting it out there.

Interesting point. Depends on the Zombie Lore being used I guess? I know in the 2004 remake of Dawn of the Dead, the zombies completely ignored the barking and even the presence of the dog....

I've also read some books, and seen some movies where the zombies are attracted to any living creature, but IMHO, I'd think the dog barking should just be ambient noise, and not enough to attract a horde, (at worse, maybe it would cause one or two zombies to wander in that direction if they're close?)

If zombies are attracted to animals in traps (They are.) and when hunting is introduced to animals in general, I'd say yes they will be attracted to the sounds they make. Otherwise humans would take just about a week to figure out that you can bark at one another to communicate and zombies ignore it.

It would make NPC dialogue FAR easier though. Worth considering.

If zombies are attracted to animals in traps (They are.) and when hunting is introduced to animals in general, I'd say yes they will be attracted to the sounds they make. Otherwise humans would take just about a week to figure out that you can bark at one another to communicate and zombies ignore it.

It would make NPC dialogue FAR easier though. Worth considering.

lol. Brings an entirely new meaning to "barking mad".

I think zombies would be attracted to barking dogs for several reasons.

1. Dogs are uniquely loud. Barks can get up to 100 decibel range. A human shout is about 80 decibels and a pneumatic drill is 110 decibels. If zombies have working ear drums, dog barks will be heard.

2. Dogs and humans likely evolved together so any "remnants" of this co-evolution and attraction might still exist within zombies. Mitochondrial DNA tests suggests dogs came about 100,000 years ago and human behaviour likely shaped their transition from wolves. Human development of symbolic culture, language, and specialized lithic technology happened around 50,000 years ago so dogs pre-date words. By contrast, The last Neanderthal died an estimated 39,000 to 41,000 years ago and some modern humans have up to 6% Neanderthal genes in their body.

3. A zombie that could distinguish types of sounds suggests rudimentary intelligence which zombies shouldn't have. As the cacophony of sounds that humans (zombie food) can make is unlimited, it seems likely that zombies would not distinguish between types of sound. When it comes to humans, loud equals food. A shrill chirp of a bird is not as sustained or loud as human made sounds. So zombies do not need to distinguish.

4. Domestic dogs are found where ever there are people. Dogs do less well in nature without humans and would find themselves competing with wolves. Zombies would be attracted to dogs because where there are dogs there are people.

1. Dogs are uniquely loud. Barks can get up to 100 decibel range. A human shout is about 80 decibels and a pneumatic drill is 110 decibels. If zombies have working ear drums, dog barks will be heard.

2. Dogs and humans likely evolved together so any "remnants" of this co-evolution and attraction might still exist within zombies. Mitochondrial DNA tests suggests dogs came about 100,000 years ago and human behaviour likely shaped their transition from wolves. Human development of symbolic culture, language, and specialized lithic technology happened around 50,000 years ago so dogs pre-date words. By contrast, The last Neanderthal died an estimated 39,000 to 41,000 years ago and some modern humans have up to 6% Neanderthal genes in their body.

3. A zombie that could distinguish types of sounds suggests rudimentary intelligence which zombies shouldn't have. As the cacophony of sounds that humans (zombie food) can make is unlimited, it seems likely that zombies would not distinguish between types of sound. When it comes to humans, loud equals food. A shrill chirp of a bird is not as sustained or loud as human made sounds. So zombies do not need to distinguish.

4. Domestic dogs are found where ever there are people. Dogs do less well in nature without humans and would find themselves competing with wolves. Zombies would be attracted to dogs because where there are dogs there are people.

I got to give to you really thought about everything.

bark/10 you really got my attention

I got to give to you really thought about everything.

bark/10 you really got my attention

Thanks. I love dogs. My wife and I have two dogs we trained to be therapy dogs and they visited hospitals and special needs schools before they retired. Now my family is raising our first guide dog puppy. We have him for another year before he leaves us for formal training to become a guide dog for a blind person.

Dogs in PZ will be both beautiful and heartbreaking. I can't wait.

I can already imagine the classic scene that everybody hate (or at least I do :P ): as much as I love dogs, if I should risk my life to save a dog, well... we all know how it ends usually XD

keep barkin' buddy. Just keep barking.

:D

If I saw a dog getting surrounded by zed, the first thing I would do...

Is getting my hands on my mothafcking shotgun.

I can already imagine the classic scene that everybody hate (or at least I do :P ): as much as I love dogs, if I should risk my life to save a dog, well... we all know how it ends usually XD

keep barkin' buddy. Just keep barking.

:D

If I saw a god getting surrounded by zed, the first thing I would do...

Is getting my hands on my mothafcking shotgun.

If I a saw a god surrounded by zed, I don't know what I'd do... wonder if he's the cause of all this, or convert myself and praise him ;o

Hmm. Should zeds be attracted by a dog barking though? What's their interest in it? I can understand them moving due to super-loud human noises like helicopters and gunshots but is a dog bark enough?

Just putting it out there.

Maybe a few zombies? The zombies near the sound? Eh....