On the in-game communication matter

rumpel

While playing a few times I came upon other players – partly trustable, partly not. There were also discussions on the global chat, the local chat and direct messages – and if they'll be possible/useful/etc. or not. What I was thinking about (since nearly everyone today has a smartphone), was:

What about instantly having a simple mobile phone (that'd be totally according to the real world) from the very start in the game, with a specific number the user himself only knows, but none of the others. He can communicate with them via global chat, and can share his number there; or he can visit people, and let specifically them know his number via the local chat, so that only these players – being there in person – get to know his telephone number. Sharing it this way, only these will make contact later – via the said private messages –, when the other one's already gone to another part of town/of the map. 

For saving the numbers one could use the mobile or additionally (and more usefully, since he has no data when the mobile's batteries are low) use a notebook and pen to update his address book. These would make even more sense when it comes up to call boxes in town, telephones in houses and businesses, and the emergency roadside telephones on the highways (if they're used in Kentucky, I dunno actually).

What do you think? :)

Best,

rumpel

IT be cool until the power goes out, no cell tower would work then. But i think there would be more to this though. When the dead rise to eat the living, how many people would leave there jobs to keep themselves and family safe. People leaving there jobs like power plants, phone company's, police stations, even the military. That being said I know this is a game, but still this in game communication feature is simple enough as it is, does it really need to be more micromanaged. Or does it need to act as a phone with the numbers and stuff, on guild wars your can directly pick certain ppl by choosing there names and talking to them directly without everyone else knowing. If anything could something like this work instead of integrating a smartphone idea with numbers?

Ah, I forgot about the cell towers. Hmm, I guess the power aspect would perhaps work with a fuel generator powered radio-like telephone station. But keeping it real the question arises, what buildings might have one, except a little house in the midst of woods; in town only the police hq would, hmm. 

on guild wars your can directly pick certain ppl by choosing there names

I was thinking of numbers to keep it more real, while this definitely would be the most comfortable way, for the developers and all the stuff they have to do and keep in mind too. But I actually like at least the idea of a game being micromanaged to such a stage, and PZ is the only game of that style I can think of, which could implement such features without being drawling.