RELEASED: Build 29.4

RobertJohnson

[NEW STUFF]

• Tons of new sounds (74 so far and counting !:
    • Ambient sounds: scream, dogs, wolves, owls... Depending on your current zone and day time.
    • New crafting sound: saw logs, duct tape, slicing food...
    • New foot step sounds.
    • And much more...
  • New Scavenge skill (does not require any tools, usefull for MP !):
    • Go into the forest and right click "scavenge", you'll find berries, mushrom, worms and other edible plants/insect.
    • The number and the type of food found will depend on your skill, once found something, the timed action will stop.
    • Plants/insect aren't unlimited in a zone, if after a while you don't find anything, go elsewhere and try again, they'll be replenished after a while.
  • Little revamp of the melee skill:
    • Blunt and blade now have 3 sub skills:
    • Accuracy: Influences hit chance, damage done, critical chance..
    • Guard: Helps you to avoiding being scratched when wearing a weapon.
    • Maintenance: Helps you to not lower the condition of your weapon when using it.
  • New crafting: make axe and hammer from stones and tree branch.
  • Build log walls with 0 in carpentry skill, they are strong but really expensive (4 logs), usefull when you don't have a saw and you want to build things !
  • Panic will decrease faster if you have survived for a while (you get used to zombies, but still get jump scare).
  • Fishes aren't unlimited anymore, after fishing in a zone for a while, you won't find anything, go fish elsewhere, the fishes will be replenished after some time.
-snip for brevity-

Green: Very happy about these additions indeed.

Blue: Will the timed action manifest as our character walking around 'searching' for things within the zone (to give the player an idea of the searched area as well as make it more immersive.) or do they just stand there?

If the case is the latter, I suggest the prior. (tophat)

Here's hoping that with the new panic and melee updates, panic actually reduces melee accuracy. A small thing, I know, but with the recent gun nerf melee combat is just too powerful. Bring on the challenge! :3

Also I think all of the agility skills need a boost. Maybe decrease the advantage each level offers as well, but It takes hours of game time to even reach level one in those skills. I dread to think the amount of hours currently needed for sprinting level 5.

But when you have the botony skill it says: Posion mushroom or ediable mushroom, why every mushroom in the forest must be ediable?

Not to be picky or anything but I believe the study of plants is botany and the study of mushrooms is mycology. But yes, I agree with you. That would be awesome, you see mushrooms growing all around in real life and honestly I have no idea which ones are good or bad. So if books were added for your character to read would be a great addition.

This talk of Nail-less wall has made me think of having Joinery in the game.You can build just about any woodworking project without nails using various joints.

In game it could either be a result of advanced carpentry skill or a sub-skill of Carpentry,and would allow you to craft wooden objects with a Hammer and Chisel rather then nails. It would take more time to craft and your chisel would need to be maintained to keep it sharp.

But when you have the botony skill it says: Posion mushroom or ediable mushroom, why every mushroom in the forest must be ediable?

Not to be picky or anything but I believe the study of plants is botany and the study of mushrooms is mycology. But yes, I agree with you. That would be awesome, you see mushrooms growing all around in real life and honestly I have no idea which ones are good or bad. So if books were added for your character to read would be a great addition.

Yeah i know what you mean with mycolgy (i am kinda studying that) but to simplfy it should be botony.

This could lead to some interesting group dynamics  where a player has more scavaging skill so he can find more mushrooms and plants, while there is a guy who is back at base that has read a lot of books about botany or has some profession related to it, so he can identify what can be eaten.

Also later on if the devs really make it posible to make medicine out of plants, it should be posible to make posion weapons with posion plants or mushrooms, adding posion to blades, craft-spears and stuff like that (posion for humans, dont know what posion could do to zombies in Romero lore)

Awesome. The ability to make stone axes and hammers from renewable items you find in the woods will make things so much easier, starting out. I mean I'm sure metal tools are a great deal better than stone tools, but this would give us more options for short and even long term survival. Now if we could just make rope and cord out of naturally available material to replace nails and screws we'd be set for life.

Slight update :

[NEW STUFF]

• Building raw axe/hammer and log walls will require ripped sheets(bandages you got from rip clothing)/twines or rope.
  • Stone hammer lose condition when you build things with it.
  • Chopping trees can drop branches and/or twigs.
  • Accuracy and reloading skills are now part of the sub skill : Ranged.
  • Scavenging don't stop after finding 1 thing, it keep try to find more things untill it reach the end of the timed action.
  • The items Bandages (the one you get from rip your clothing) is now call Ripped Sheets, still can act as bandage.

[bUG FIX]

• No more tree chopping with a frying pan, baseball bat etc.
  • Sometimes there were 2 trees on the same grid.

[bALANCE]

• Decrease the spawn rate of paintings and farming seeds inside crates.

Mmm, not sure what sort of structure you're envisioning that can be built without tied logs, unless you mean something like the structures I learned as a kid through various nature programs: logs to act as the frame, tied, then branches applied to the sloped walls.

Scavenging might be better off as a passive skill that simply spawns materials in the inventory, rather than requiring timed action and right-click. A passive skill, as Neo Scavenger does.

Is the stone hammer something that's crafted, or is just found?

Scavenging might be better off as a passive skill that simply spawns materials in the inventory, rather than requiring timed action and right-click. A passive skill, as Neo Scavenger does.

Hmmm wouldn't that take control from the player? Meaning I'd pick up twigs and stones and crap while walking around without intenionally wanting to do so?

I still propose that it should indeed be a timed action, but that the player should just path to random points within the zone you are in for the duration of the action, in order to give you at least some inkling as to the area you have depleted or harvested from, and to enhance the immersion as you are seemingly 'looking' for things.

Hmmm wouldn't that take control from the player? Meaning I'd pick up twigs and stones and crap while walking around without intenionally wanting to do so?

Two inventory panes -- one for on the ground stuff, the other for the normal inventory. ;)

Auto-picking up things == very bad mojo. :D *Is suddenly crushed to death by mushrooms*

[bUG FIX]

• No more tree chopping with a frying pan, baseball bat etc.

No

Nooo

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

The only bug i didnt want it to be fix is fixed now, dang it.

No more free pan-axe.

Now i kinda can see people making PZ some kind of Rust, i think most people will go for the stone axe and hammers insted of looting for stuff, waiting to see how that plays out.

Also i think the scavaging skill should be timed action too, only working on forests, i mean when you are looking for stuff in a place with a lot of grass, you take some time to find it, so if your character would randomy move a bit when serching it could be good.

Also can someone please say if we are going to find poisonous mushrooms and plants or just ediable stuff?

I wish fires where improved. It can destroy Multiplayer servers, when someone goes around burning everything, with no way to put the fires out. Then the rubble it leaves being unremoveable.

And Lockable Doors/Loot containers, to stop that hoarder going round and stealing everyones ammo.

And Lockable Doors/Loot containers, to stop that hoarder going round and stealing everyones ammo.

They may have taken away my frying-pan-axe to cut down trees, but it dosent matter, even if you lock down your door, i will pan the crap out of that door to loot all your stuff.

Especially your spiffo you hid behind that corner.

Is the poisonous food, found in the forest tied to the cooking skill as in with poisoned food to date? Eg. you find mushrooms and it only says poisoned if you have good enough cooking skill. If not, it should. ;)(I see Blasted_Taco suggested this, but I'll just concur) Going mushrooming can be really dangerous if you don't know what you're doing and even so if you do.

On the log walls: Wouldn't it just be easiest if you'd need an axe or some kind of cutting tool to carve the walls like is done with the really old log houses. Sturdy as f***. Just put a keep axe/huntingknife/saw/etc in there, right? It would relieve it from just the saw and make it that much believable.

Also could we possibly up the building time? It's really taking too little to build a huge fortress.  Just a toss...

I'm meaning something like this:

Valley_Forge_cabin.jpg

And last, is the fish amount/size tied to the size of the water area? I'm asking because my map project has a lot of small ponds and it would be a bit silly to catch ten 2kg salmon from each pond...

Thanks again RJ this update is too awesome!! :)

I'd honestly rather see the scavenging skill spawning stuff on the ground around you instead of being a timed action. That's a really weird way to do it compared to reality , where you would only pick up what you want. Couldn't you make stuff spawn on tiles near the player and give them the choice of what you want? Then simplify the xp gain to the first time you pick up any specific scavenging item.