More interaction with natural water sources

rumpel

post-17611-0-49009200-1410176817_thumb.j

What about a water mill in front, and a wind mill on the roof?

Hey,

I just have some ideas about interactions with water I was thinking about while building most preferably on coastal lines:

Food preservation – I was thinking of lakes and rivers as a natural refrigerator; I'd love the possibility of building cooling units in coastal water since that's something I already made with friends for cooling drinks. I have something in mind that needs resources like the rain barrels; you need wood and nails to create a static furniture in the water, then you'd need bags for depositing stuff – self-grown agricultural products or catched fish – that needs to be fresh but shouldn't get wet resp. contaminated by the river water. Additionally there could be the possibility of adding salt to the bag for cooling fish and meat. Building this rather easy natural refrigerator I'd suggest lvl2 carpentry skill.

Drinking water – It would be also nice to have drinking water out of rivers and lakes. But due to biochemical aspects this needs to be heated/cooked to get rid of biochemically dangerous contents. Additionally houses could use – as many indeed do – water filters and other chemicals, to get rid of other contents. Drinking untreated water could lead to diarrhoea, causing much water loss and little infection symptoms, so that one'd need to drink more. Writing this I wonder: Shouldn't there be the need to regularly go to the toilet? So one also could build a pit latrine. Here I'd also think of lvl2 carpentry.

Green energy – This would be more heavy to be built, so I'd suggest carpentry lvl4. Here I'd think of a water mill, esp. a danaide. That would need much more ingredients: Besides wood for the wheel there'd be the need of cables (possibly from any electronic device in houses or cars [they'll come, right?]); then there'd be the need of a current transformer (also from electronic devices like refrigerators or so). Then it's up to the builder how he wants to use the processed energy: batteries could be loaded or there could be made something like an electric socket. This would be also possible for windmills actually (the higher the ground the more energy will be produced; regarding the water mill: river mills should produce more energy than lake mills due to the higher flow of water); but besides the lvl4 carpentry I also would think of special books u have to read in order to build such advanced devices; not just a skill book but one which ultimately allows one to build them.

What would you think of these? Just was wondering... :)

And please feel free to post critic, additional ideas, and so on!

Best, 

rumpel

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I think that the water should be drinkable but needs to be boiled first or you will feel sick and tired. Also i think that you should be able to swim but even if you stand still in water it wastes your energy. Zombies do not swim but in shallow areas you can see dark patches where they will pull you under. And the power should be added but not yet because now they don't have some of the needed things for it. When they add cars then it may be possible. Then there will be at least 1 way to get power. I hope. I don't know for a fact but if you could take the engine out of a car then you can possibly make a generator for a house or two.

Well the idea of hygiene is a no i believe. I did think that it would be cool if you could take a bath/shower and 10-30 minutes would pass making you happy and destressed . Also when the power goes out the heat turns off so you can take a hot bath or cold bath. The cold will wake you up and warm will make you tired while the middle makes adds nothing. If its a shower it would be quicker but the bath adds more effects/makes them higher tier. Then you could possibly find bubble bath and shampoo to make it more soothing making you tired and more destressed. It wouldn't do much but it would help.