Transformer Station

Cotswold

This suggestion is about restoring electricity to the map. The idea is that there will be Transformer Station or an electricity producing building on the map that will be locked until the power goes out. The door will be electronically locked so that you can only access the area after power has gone out. On the other hand, you could just break down the door with a sledge hammer. The location of the Transformer Station could be in the northern part of the map, like the farm is. The crux of the location is that it should be isolated and somewhere that you have to explore/trek to. Inside the Transformer Station, there should be a large number of zombies so that it would be a real task to turn the power back on, not a chore that can be done easily. Maybe some hazards in the area could also help. 

If you want to go with realistic you can look at http://www.powerplantmaps.com/ and see where (and what type of) power plants are in the area and then look up the areas on google maps.

There are mostly coal plants along the river. The big 'yellow' line on the pzmap is actually where the transmission lines run in real life and I think there's a distribution substation IRL along that between Muldraugh and Fort Knox. The transmission line looks like it runs to the coal plant and then further on to Louisville. I honestly don't know how you'd get a big coal plant going without a lot of people and labor and constant supply.

There's a natural gas storage field really close that you could use with generators to make power but I wonder how hard it would be to find a natural gas power generator. Maybe in Louisville or the Fort Knox area. Or maybe the compressor station there would have one?

There's a hydro plant in the middle of the river at Louisville that could be fun gameplay wise. I imagine there would be a LOT of zombies in Louisville and the access to it is pretty narrow.

Huh, actually something interesting at Fort Knox (that doesn't show up on the power plant map) is a REALLY big solar panel array. Apparently the biggest in Kentucky. And a lot of the buildings there have panels too. That would definitely be the closest source of power (excluding the gas storage facilities.) The solar panels might be too new to be included in the game though depending on when the game is set.

Been multiple discussions about restoring power to the map after it goes down. In short, you're not going to repair and operate a power plant without an army of trained people. A rag-tag group of survivors simply won't cut it.

However, the plant itself would be a veritable goldmine for a survivor group. Think about it. A coal fired power station is going to have coal, heavy machinery, tools, and vehicles scattered all over the place, not to mention the security barriers in place around the facility. Plus you can cannibalise the plant itself for parts. High grade steel cable, copper wiring, and so on.

I'm all for trudging through an abandoned power plant. Brings back Stalker memories <3

• 3 weeks later...