Military Protection Zones/Towns

cuddlepums

Alright first of all I know military aid is in the commonly suggested list and stated as a No, but here this idea out but first here my argument the military not helping out any survivors is very unlikely in this sort of situation in my opinion. This is idea is not just straight up military aid either with the military handing you care packages and guns to go slaughter infected and live in a lovely little town, so please just here the idea out cause and try to keep and open mind please and thank you.

The Idea:

Okay well the idea is that the military will come in after a couple months in game and start establishing a safe zone/town as a haven for survivors, and there base of operations. These safezones will have some sort of wall/fence surrounding the perimiter, housing for survivors, military laws and enforcment with severe punishments if you and or others do not comply, and designated building such as storage areas, trade areas, armorys etc. While living in these zones you will be given jobs to help the community thrive if you complete your jobs and abide by the law you will recieve some sort of compensation, you and the other survivors will be set on schedules to perform your duties, and will have curfews. If you are not in the safe zone and indoors after curfew you will receive punishment. (Also there will only be one military safezone aloud in a game, if destroyed it will be destroyed forever and no others will be constructed.)

The laws of military safezones will consist of:

• No assault or murderering of fellow survivors and or military personel if caught or proven guilty it will result in execution.
  • No theft/theivery if caught or proven guilty stealing it will result in banishment and or being executed depending on how severe.
  • No vandalism of military property if caught or proven guilty will result in execution, or probation depending on severity.
  • If found to have been scratched or bitten by any infected it will result in execution, if unsure of the origin of the scratch or bite you will be watched by military personel until a given time if no signs of infection appear you will be free to go.
  • If found outside after curfew it will result in probation, or execution depending on severity.
Your character in the safezone/military town:

Upon entering the military town/safezone you will be greeted and thoroughly searched for signs of infection, and valuables, ALL of your items will be confiscated but some of your items will be given back except guns, ammo, and any very dangerous weaponry, or items the the safezone severely needs such as food or medicine. After going through entry you will be given the laws of the safezone/town and will be given a job depending on your skills. Then all you must do is abide by the laws of the safezone and perform your duties and you will be fine. (Until some giant zombie horde comes of couse)

Alright well that is it and by the way this idea was heavily inspired from the Last Of Us and I think its a pretty good idea but I am not the rest of you, so what do you guys think?

yeah, this is a definite NO from me.

i don't see the fun in creating an environment in which you give up all of your weapons, your possessions, your FREEDOM and everything else to go and start playing an alternate version of The Sims inside the "safe zone".

in theory, one could live a good long time in this scenario, which completely destroys the idea of "This is how you died"

"This is how you died of boredom" I wanna have the thrill of fighting a horde not just be like "that'll be the 204th horde this year well good thing i'm protected" 

But i'm all for if an npc makes a settlement but maybe have a moral thing that makes them lose alot of respect for you if you kill a human or something

I like this idea because I want to see a variety of survivor holdouts to be made- though I think this should be less of an official gov't operation and more of a rogue military platoon making a fort and running it like a police state. And they might try to dominate an area and act like a militia, confiscating goods from survivors and acting like feudal lords in a sense. And I want to see internal power struggles within this settlement too:

Like if a lower ranked officer wants to take over, he will conspire and say you could help him rise to power- causing civil war within this faction. Or it could very well happen naturally, or other vengeful survivors who hate this group will just take it down themselves.

Or a revolt could happen, or of course, overwhelmed by a zombie horde. Many ways for this place to fail, starvation or disease is an option as well and just social pressures too.

If this isn't implemented ingame- someone, take it up as a mod. I'd like to see it.

I'd say yes to having established safezones, but they should all be a testament to human FAILURE and be sites of massive slaughter, misery, death and generally be the unsafest places possible due to already being overrun. No actual military left at all, just story set pieces to build up immersion that the army tried to set up checkpoints and whatnot.

So in short:

Remnants thereof only.

I'm with Viceroy. Having a fortified 'safepoint' in game would be perfect for the player to stumble across the ruins, or the small group of NPCs that's started to take up residence after the military was overrun. Burnt out vehicles, rows of tents, tanks and heavy armour left rusting without fuel, crew, or ammunition... Could be quite the thematic set piece.

Come to think of it, a 'safe point' like this would be more a fortified military camp protecting a landing area for helicopters/planes. There's accommodation so anyone travelling out of the quarantine zone can be held until it's damned sure they're not infected. This would have the added advantage of the camp being located close, but not too close, to points of interest on the map, be in a cleared area with wide open fields of fire, and so on.

I do so look forward to the day when I can pick through the ruins of battlefields, survivor enclaves, and the like. Every ruin tells a story, but as a player, you can only guess at what might have been, what might have happened... Enjoying the atmospheric-game setting being cranked up to eleven in other words :P

I have a tiny problem with all the "military" thing right now: I just don't get why would the army set a safe point (spending a lot of resources and men in the process) in a town with no more than 1200 people(West Point and Muldraguh) when there are more populated areas in need of help too? I would accept the idea of military personnel in major cities (even in Louisville) because they will be kind of a hell, but in small towns... there aren't enough people to be in every town.

I have a tiny problem with all the "military" thing right now: I just don't get why would the army set a safe point (spending a lot of resources and men in the process) in a town with no more than 1200 people(West Point and Muldraguh) when there are more populated areas in need of help too? I would accept the idea of military personnel in major cities (even in Louisville) because they will be kind of a hell, but in small towns... there aren't enough people to be in every town.

Well, you have a *major* military base about a mile and a half down the road south from muldraugh and a huge munitions depot just half a mile east of muldraugh.  I could almost guarentee that muldraugh would be part of the fort knox perimiter with regular patrols.  I could also nearly guarentee that keeping the road between fort knox and louisville (which runs straight through west point) open for military traffic would be a huge priority and would certainly be enforced with armor and gunships.

I'm not saying this will happen in game, but if anything, I could see forced evacuation of all civillians in the area between louisville and elizibeth town to one of those two cities.

Well, you have a *major* military base about a mile and a half down the road south from muldraugh and a huge munitions depot just half a mile east of muldraugh.  I could almost guarentee that muldraugh would be part of the fort knox perimiter with regular patrols.  I could also nearly guarentee that keeping the road between fort knox and louisville (which runs straight through west point) open for military traffic would be a huge priority and would certainly be enforced with armor and gunships.

I'm not saying this will happen in game, but if anything, I could see forced evacuation of all civillians in the area between louisville and elizibeth town to one of those two cities.

That makes sense. I didn't know Fort knox was near the zone, and if you have an ammunition depot right there, its clearly a good idea to secure some areas in the zone. Now the whole idea of the army guys looks much better, thanks!

As far as safezones go, a hardcoded area where zombies can't enter should never happen for the simple reason that it isn't realistic. I don't want to see a horde smashed up against an invisible wall trying to get to survivors. However, once NPCs are in you will presumably be able to get them to join you and they'll make their own groups, which will simulate safe zones by way of strongholds that are built and fortifications to buildings. And since those will be the home bases of NPC survivors, you do something to piss off one the rest will probably come at you, which basically acts like the laws cuddlepums initially suggested.

As far as safezones go, a hardcoded area where zombies can't enter should never happen for the simple reason that it isn't realistic. I don't want to see a horde smashed up against an invisible wall trying to get to survivors. However, once NPCs are in you will presumably be able to get them to join you and they'll make their own groups, which will simulate safe zones by way of strongholds that are built and fortifications to buildings. And since those will be the home bases of NPC survivors, you do something to piss off one the rest will probably come at you, which basically acts like the laws cuddlepums initially suggested.

There would be no invisible wall they would construct some sort of wall like structure surrounding the perimeter of the town/safe zone, and also I'm sure npc groups won't have laws established unless it was fairly large or people started pissing other people off within the group a lot. And even of they did I'm sure the laws would not be as strict or as thoroughly handled by military personnel.

Oddly enough... I'm sort of in favor. But up to a point. Because if the NPCs work as advertised, the devs will cut on a ton of hassle.

I'm not against soldiers making their presence known. Why wouldn't they? Even as cleanup squads or whatever -- maybe you recruit some as NPCs later on, who knows. Seems interesting to have characters with different stats than the standard job descriptions.

As for Safezones? I'm in favour. I mean, isn't that what we're going to be attempting anyways when we form a group? We're supposed to be able to clean a place up, set some stuff in there to get comfortable, and then take care of it so that we and our own are safe, then give NPCs orders or whatnot to keep it that way. It makes sense that we'd want our outpost to be as secure as possible. Pronanly even expand it.

In the end, safezones may well arise naturally in the gameworld simply from allowing gameplay to run its course, either because of players putting together a group, or the NPCs doing so, and not necessarily from any kind of hardcoding them somewhere on the map by the devs, methinks.

The whole dispensing of laws bit, I'm not sure how it is going to work. At all. You literally can't build a group without considering group dynamics so they may arise on their own also. I'm just hoping the devs have thought this tricky bit through -- one thing is to give us super awesome NPCs, in theory; and another is doing so in practice, 'cause things could go either interestingly weird or game breakingly [sic] wrong real quick. 

Well then Plush you're literally just suggesting the NPC survivors that will be released. Laws aside. Who cares about laws during the apocalypse anyways? The only laws governing NPCs and your interactions with them will be how they feel about you. If you kill someone in their group or take something of theirs that they wouldn't normally let you have, expect aggressive NPCs. There's your law, jury, judge, and executioner.

In my opinion, these sorts of apocalyptic games are always better when they remain ambiguous. So you never quite know if anybody outside is still alive, whether the country is still functioning, if the rest of the world has been overrun yet. So, I'd rather never see any 'direct' contact with a military- only hints, or remains. That odd helicopter thumping in the distance, or short burst of gun fire. Maybe thumps of artillery occasionally ring out in the distance, only to stop occurring sometime into the game. Were they overrun? Did they leave? Did they win? You never know, and so enter suspense.

Just my crazy visions, though. :P

I was kinda hoping that the planned radio broadcasts wouldn't reveal too much, or maybe would be slightly randomized so you can't guess what's happening outside. 

Well then Plush you're literally just suggesting the NPC survivors that will be released. Laws aside. Who cares about laws during the apocalypse anyways? The only laws governing NPCs and your interactions with them will be how they feel about you. If you kill someone in their group or take something of theirs that they wouldn't normally let you have, expect aggressive NPCs. There's your law, jury, judge, and executioner.

I'm not sure you understand this safezone/town will be run by the military, sure it will still be possible for npc's to make there own form of a safezone place. But this one will have strict laws and will be heavily defended though this place will most likely be very loud thus attracting a lot of attention especially from zombies and perhaps even bandits that try and raid it. But these are already stated as a no anyways so it will only be a group of survivors or your character that will be able to create these sort of "safezones."