Standing in the corridor! (Kay's Story) #1

Uphox

Name : Kay

My name's Kay. This is my story.

It can't have been more than 5 or 6 months that it all started. There I was, liying in a crippled bed of the worlds' tiniest flat. It was a secluded block of flats; a fast paced - 30 minute walk to the closest town. A pretty rough area for an old-timer like me to be living in, but I was able to cope well enough. I never really left the flat though. I didn't really like the people who lived on the block, apart from some people down the corridor. They were a talkative bunch though. They'd stop for a good chat whenever they'd see me and we'd talk about general 'things'; like the weather for example.

It came as a surprise when my neighbour came round and started ranting about some virus or flu that had hit parts of the west. High fever, erratic behaviour; lashing out at people, that sort of thing. I assumed it was just a severe case of rabies and that the government would soon have it under control and vaccines would be handed out. Haha, I couldn't have been more wrong.

One late, windy night on the block, there was some banging, as there always is in a rough area. I ignored it, not thinking much of it and got back to watching my nature show on TV. The noise must have continued for at least an hour, so I decided to check it out. I took the latch off my door and went to investigate; to help, perhaps.

I walked down the corridor and saw my neighbour had left their door open. I stuck my head in, not to be a creepy old man seeing what they were up to, but just to check on them. No sign of them. I walked further down the corridor towards the stairs; I caught the glimpse of a shadow round the corner just a bit further down the corridor. Being friendly I decided to say "Good Evening!". I got no reply. 'Arrogant bunch of people' I thought to myself. Probably some youth getting home from a drunken night out.

I continued down the stairs until I got to the bottom of the block and soon discovered that the banging was the doors. Someone probably just left them open on their way in and the wind caught them. I assumed it must have been the person who had just come in; so went to give them a friendly word about shutting the door when they come in.

Back up the stairs I went.

I turned the corner up the stairs and walked to the end of my floor; towards where I saw the shadow. It was still there so I spoke to the person as I walked closer. "Do you mind shutting the door when you come in? I've been hearing it all evening." I turned the corner and stopped.

"Evening" I said. The person gave me no reply. I tried again. "Good evening?". Still no reply. I tried once more, in a firmer tone of voice. "Hello!?".

I was thinking to myself this person must be deaf or the most arrogant person you could ever meet. It took him a while to turn and face me. I waved my hand in front of his face as he turned. Maybe he's off his rocker; or stoned to high hell. 

The man, it was clearly a man that I could see, raised his left arm; drooping his wrist and allowing his fingers to hang like rag-dolls. I ignored him. He was clearly too dopey at this current time to remember anything that I say. I turned away from him, not saying anything, and walked back towards my room...But he followed me.

I faced him again, warning him not too follow me. "Listen, I don't know what you're after, but i've got nothing you could want. I suggest you go back to your room". I turned once more to see my neighbour no more than 5 feet in front of me, staring as senselessly as the previous fella'.

"You feeling alright? You don't look too good".

He stood there for a moment, almost as if he was processing what I said, then he too started walking towards me. Shuffling even; for more of an appropriate word. When he was about 3 feet away, he lunged at me, face first. Was he trying to bite me? At this point the previous man from the corridor was now breathing down my neck. I went into full defense mode, grabbing the man by his extended arm and shoulder, flinging him against the wall. He did a sort of 'stumbled ricochet' off the wall and into my neighbour who was now moving his way past the man to come for me.

I didn't know what was happening at this point. All I could think was 'these people are crazy'. Then it hit me! The virus that was all over the news was spreading west, towards these flats. The symptoms were...come on brain! Think! Erratic behaviour! These guys must just be sick and not really knowing what they're doing.

I tried to speak to them some more. "Calm down!" and "Stay back!" were all I could say at this time. I could hear a door unlatching just in front of me. A lady in her night gown appeared and asked "What the fuck are you doing?!". You can see now why I don't like the people in my flat. So rude, but that's getting off-topic now.

She turned to the two men and told them to "Piss off!" and get back to their rooms. They didn't react in the way she wanted them to, nor did they then react in the way I expected them to.

They both lunged straight at the woman, scratching and ripping her night-gown. She screamed a scream I will never forget. They scratched at her, more and more, until her arms and face were covered in marks, blood and bits of her ripped clothing. She fell to the floor, still screaming. I wanted to help! There was something in my mind telling me that this was a bad idea! I froze. I just...watched her life being drained.

They collapsed on top of her and starting taking bites out of her! I was scared for my life at this point. I had seen a lot in my time, but nothing as frightening as this! She was a goner. In seconds, the woman had been stripped of her clothes and half her skin, along with chunks of her neck and legs.

I'd now seen what this illness was capable of. It turned my once friendly neighbour into a killer. A lunatic. I couldn't stay anywhere near these things, but by this time I was already backed up against the end of the corridor. I had nowhere to run. Nowhere to hide. I couldn't reach the stairs and I couldn't reach the door to get into the woman's' flat.

Was this the end for me? Just standing in the corridor?

To Be Continued?

Archived