Clip unloading

Tyler the Super Ranger

So I've always had a gripe about how guns and loot tables behave. Especially ammo and pistols. Here are some things that have always bothered me.

=========================================================

1. You cannot unload clips from your gun

2. Zombies carry unloaded pistols

3. Zombies nearly always carry exactly 10 pistol rounds

4. Pistols found on zombies are always at 100% durability

5. It's rare that ammo and pistols are found at the same time

Surely this can't be right. Zombies carrying empty pistols and a set amount of ammo like loot pinatas waiting to be hit by your trusty baseball bat?

So I thought to myself "hmm, what simple yet effective method could be implemented to address these five issues?" And then the solution came to me!

1. Implement an unload feature on guns

2. Change the way loot tables behave regarding guns and ammo on slain zombies

By adding an unload feature you can recover ammo from an unwanted/damaged weapon in favour for another. Did you just find a gun with more health than your current one? Unload your gun and place the ammo in the one you just pilfered!

I have also come up with an idea to make zombie loot tables appear more realistic:

If a zombie drops ammo, give him a gun!

-It doesn't make much sense that so many zombies are menandering around holding ammo without a gun. This does not apply the other way around. Guns found this way are always broken to stop them from becoming abundant.

Guns that are dropped by zombies are damaged and have a few bullets left in them.

-Obviously this poor sap put up a fight before being mauled to death by the local undead fauna. Shame all he has to show for it is a well used gun and a few bullets left in the clip [if any at all]. Oh well, better unload that sucker!

Increase the amount of ammo zombies drop to 15 and reduce the chance of ammo dropping by 40%.

-15 bullets would represent a full clip of 9mm ammo and the 40% reduction would compensate for the increased ammo dropped.

So there you have it folks! An easy to understand way to improve realism in the game world!

I never really minded about the unloading feature much really though it could come in handy at times, as you specified above. However something(off topic) but involving guns though is cleaning them, I know for simplity we have just 9mm ammo, but many different brands & grains worth contribute to a dirty gun, that leads to many problems for the user, I guess this could result in lower durability as well.

Zombies though should drop more ammo, doesn't have to be all the time but, could be a rare event like 1/1000 kinda thing but sure would be nice though every now and then to have a box or so of ammo at once like that.  

If a zombie drops ammo, give him a gun!

-It doesn't make much sense that so many zombies are menandering around holding ammo without a gun. This does not apply the other way around. Guns found this way are always broken to stop them from becoming abundant.

What if he found ammo but he didn't found the gun? If he found the ammo and the gun, why carrying the ammo and the gun if gun can be reloaded? wouldn't that make guns way too common as you will find ammo with guns and guns without ammo? Even if broken, think the ammount of guns we are talking about. They will be more common than many of the melee weapons...  and that's not realistic at all.

Guns that are dropped by zombies are damaged and have a few bullets left in them.

-Obviously this poor sap put up a fight before being mauled to death by the local undead fauna. Shame all he has to show for it is a well used gun and a few bullets left in the clip [if any at all]. Oh well, better unload that sucker!

I like this idea

Yes this would be nice. It reminds me a bit of playing S.T.A.L.K.E.R. where you'd go around after every fight picking up the enemy's guns, unloading the bullets, then chucking the guns away. That and having to remember to unload guns every time you sold them. Even if you found a terrible weapon just sitting out on a table the bullets could always be of use (well if you had the right weapon, but given that the game was set in Ukraine and every other gun was an AK variant, most of the mid game ammo was transferable). 

Uh, point being that because guns stack when in a container, no matter what the durability or condition, if you stick a loaded gun in there its a painstaking process to actually find it. ...Though that problem could be solved by just not sticking your gun into a box full of identical others and expecting to know the difference between them. =P

Uh, point being that because guns stack when in a container, no matter what the durability or condition, if you stick a loaded gun in there its a painstaking process to actually find it. ...Though that problem could be solved by just not sticking your gun into a box full of identical others and expecting to know the difference between them. =P

There are 2 buttons you can press that separates a stack of items into individual units. Either you can press the tab next to the item or you can press a button on top of the loot/inventory window.

There are 2 buttons you can press that separates a stack of items into individual units. Either you can press the tab next to the item or you can press a button on top of the loot/inventory window.

Huh, thanks. The more you know. :)

Still, pity you can't rename guns like you can bags (or can you?). Oh the amazing names I could come up with like, "Pistol One" or "Aafsadajkf". ^^