Realtime shadows.

Necromatic_Corgi

Well maybe after 1.0 they will convert everything to 3D? A sliver of hope.

No.

Although it was a possibility at one point (somewhere around the time of the Iso Revolution Mondoid post - or some name similar to that), more recent posts from the devs suggest that the game world will not be going full-3D to retain support on 'just-barely-capable' hardware (If I recall rightly, it's mostly the integrated intel graphics chipsets that are not-so-compatible with full 3D).

Which is understandable, because it would suck to purchase a game that runs fine at the date of purchase, only to have that very same game no longer able to run at all at a later date. Purchasers and End Users would be furious, and demanding refunds - or rioting at the very least!

This is just my understanding of the occasional mentions of "going 3D" in news updates and forum posts over the past year or so, and might not be 100% exactly in line with what the devs would tell you directly.

Who knows though, perhaps more and more of the game will eventually be open to mod in full 3D - so the possibility of a modder bringing out a realtime shadows mod might not be infeasible. 

It was actually the other way around Realmkeeper- they were going to go full 3D because it's more efficient than 2D on almost all modern graphics cards. However, it turned out there was a memory leak and a few other problems that the excellent EasyPickens cleared up, and that stopped the game from having the memory problems it was having. Thus, with no real reason to switch to 3D, it got shelved indefinitely.

It was actually the other way around Realmkeeper- they were going to go full 3D because it's more efficient than 2D on almost all modern graphics cards. However, it turned out there was a memory leak and a few other problems that the excellent EasyPickens cleared up, and that stopped the game from having the memory problems it was having. Thus, with no real reason to switch to 3D, it got shelved indefinitely.

Oh, ok. My misunderstanding then.

I assumed that because of many the support topics involving black screens in combination with the integrated intel chipsets were usually 'fixed' by disabling or reducing the 3D models, that there was still some issues to sort around with introducing 3D of any scale into all the target audience's PC specifications. If that makes sense?

I got the point that the 3D was not so necessary any more, and thus not a priority, but tripped on reading too deeply into the issues and solutions for low-spec and laptop users.

Thanks for the clarification  (clyde)(have a clyde)

In this case, 3D models became part of the problem . . . some systems couldn't support even loading operations through OpenGL, others couldn't support the shaders necessary to make them visible.

So, rock and a hard place: go full 3D and tell the people who need 2D to bugger off or do both. What it'll mean is that 3D will still be explored and likely expanded, but it's no longer a mandatory "oh god, we have to do it right now at the expense of everything else" sort of thing, as Rathlord mentions.

even though it be cool to see something like this, its not a big of a deal for me, growing up on nes and snes & zork(progressive text game adventure),  graphics are not important at all for me. long as controls and gameplay work, I'de rather fight the zombies and not the controls,

Yeah, we don't really need shadows so I'd be fine either way. I don't like the 3D whole world idea though so I'm glad they won't do that.

It would be purely a matter of back-end; the world would still be isometric viewpoint and everything would look the same. The only changes would be that some things could be animated, like doors opening.

Yeah, we don't really need shadows so I'd be fine either way. I don't like the 3D whole world idea though so I'm glad they won't do that.

It would be purely a matter of back-end; the world would still be isometric viewpoint and everything would look the same. The only changes would be that some things could be animated, like doors opening.

Oh, see I don't understand anything about anything and I thought it would look different. Sorry.