Communities

Some Clever Username

WOW! I'm full of ideas today! Anywhere here's what I got to say:

If your with a bunch of NPC's you may propose to them to help you build a community. Of course it would be hard and they would need to want to make a community too. You could also be in a group that decides to do this.

A community would be just a big group with lots of farms and supplies and a whole area walled off. It would be the ideal safe place... for now.

Building it:

You would pretty much need just a walled off area. The leader (whether it's you or not) of the group creating the community would be in charge of where the walls and farms are, also where the sleeping areas are and where the gun stash and food stash are. Imagine a bunch of NPC's clearing out an area of zeds as well as chop down trees and build walls. It would be sweet! You've got a job and so do other survivors while you create the ideal safe place!

Growing It:

Each community should have a max of survivors they will let in before they turn people away. The max is an estimated number that the leader will come up with depending on supplies. If your the leader than get out that calculator! Whether your intentions are to bring yummy humans to your camp or to give people a safe place to live, you should add signs with directions to your community so people will come. Whether their intentions are good or bad they may still follow the directions to your palace.

If your on your own or with a group and you come across a sign, you may have an argument about it being a pipe dream and if it's safe blah blah blah. If you head there, it may have fallen by then or it could still be up, who knows?

Also, letting people in could be a risk so remember that...

Naming It:

You could even be given the option to name the community if you are the leader. A box could come up where you type in a name. Since there will never be voice actors, it will just be inserted into dialogue. Of course, people will name it things like "Tit Town" but hey, you made it so do what you want to do.

Examples of dialogue:

Have you heard of (Add in name here)? It's supposedly some huge camp up/down/out (North, South, West, East wherever it is on the map) = "Have you heard of Tit Town? It's supposedly some huge camp up North."

NPC leaders would name it randomly out of a couple of choices like Hope or West Point if it's in West Point.

Community Life:

Jobs should be assigned such as a wall guard to protect people from zeds around the walls and even from humans. Guards should also patrol streets and act as police officers.

Farmers would help farm crops and take care of cattle (If added)

Construction workers would help build more walls stuff if needed.

Leaders will give orders and anyone without a job would sit around and chat as if everything is normal until...

The End:

... zombies break in form the AI director or another group has destroyed the place. Even a famine or you where an evil asshole and caused the place to fall yourself. :evil:

Zombies would run amok and chaos happens as you run for your life.

Bits And Bobs:

Other thing this could add

• Hearing about the community from other survivors
  • Bite checks( when letting people in)
  • WW3 in Kentucky :)

So, what do you think, too much? I think this would be great to add in, in the future. It doesn't have to be right when NPC's come out obviously but later on down the road...

Thanks for reading! :)

I love every bit of this, and to go further, have different social systems and types of communities. I talk about this more in depth with my Law and Order: Frontier justice topic of different social groups that can form-

from survivor holds where they just buckle their houses together and share their defensive responsibility while having their own supplies, to shared resource commune strongholds where survivors band together and share their resources collectively to better their odds. Maybe even find more crazy groups like religious nutcases who have a cult or theocracy where they'll punish "sinners" and outsiders or tinpot regimes that have a martial law induced police state run by former military or police, or just simple madmen like how The Governor and his town of Woodbury was. Raider groups/gangs too, who could be nomadic drifters just looting or pillaging or have their own stronghold keeps they made out in the woods.

So many different angles and types of towns, and ways they could be run. I'd love to see this and think it's a 100% must.

Communities would be neat. But this is a suvival horror game, and i think that if this was implented, it would heavily change the game.

For example: Instead of thinking:  Lets go to the nearest house, get some food and prepare for the night while finding a weapon!

Most players would think: Ok! lets go to the nearest house, grab some food and find some npc's, find a hammer, barricade a house and make a community so we can get lots of more food and grow our base!

Dont get me wrong, i would really like to build small communities when npc's are added, but it should still be a survival game.

Of course it would still be a survival game. You're gonna be constantly dealing with zeds pounding on your doors and bandit groups constantly raiding you and trying to steal your hard earned goods. Having a community hard won from the desolate surroundings wouldn't be so much advantageous as it would change the dynamic of the game and pose different challenges. It'd probably be far easier to go it alone or stay in a small, mobile group than trying to run a community and keep it going in the face of hostile elements.

Survival of the many is as much a challenging if not more then the survival of the one. And they both pose good stories and challenges for the player-

And how the story unwinds is whats important. To me this game is as much about zombies as it is the story of how someone survives, and eventually dies. Death is inevitable- but that doesn't mean that even in the face of apocalypse you can't hold onto hope. And that's what makes this game interesting, because despite us being told right from the start "There was no hope for survival. This is how you died." We are going to try and survive as long as we can anyways, and try to live despite the whole "its a hopeless situation."

And when we do eventually die, its either something soul crushing... or more realistically with this game its because we fell off that flight of stairs we were building and fell to our deaths, and died pathetically and are forgotten.

Im not too sure about this idea I mean you can have a community without a wall, and turning people away from a safe place isn't as simple as "We have 20 people no more than 20" and that guy just told you some sort of super sad story about how he lost his family or something I would be pretty bummed if I couldn't at least help him out. So what I am saying is there are to many conditions to become a community I mean a community can be of multiple sizes and does not nessecarily need all of these conditons to become a community. So in short the idea is good but the conditions needed to create the community I don't really like.

I'm all for it.

I'm hoping that once NPCs are in full force, and assuming there is a way to turn living into a self-sustaining exercise that is achievable by the AI down the line, once the power and the water go off, the game will turn into something else entirely, where groups of NPCs or players war and trade for resources to keep living in a world of zombies. Indefinitely.

It would be interesting to die multiple times in the same world only to come back later and see how it has changed after time went by, what groups died off or sprung up -- though, admittedly, this hinges on there being a somewhat steady influx of NPCs over time so that they don't all end up dead at some point, the map gets depleted of resources, zombies run out, animals to hunt run out, items run out, or whatever. Maybe someone will end up modding this in, or we'll get it in sandbox, who knows...

But assuming it does work out, holy crap. We could well need an option for the player to choose to start some years down the line after the infection, or something, when settlements have already developed, etc. Maybe?

Im not too sure about this idea I mean you can have a community without a wall, and turning people away from a safe place isn't as simple as "We have 20 people no more than 20" and that guy just told you some sort of super sad story about how he lost his family or something I would be pretty bummed if I couldn't at least help him out. So what I am saying is there are to many conditions to become a community I mean a community can be of multiple sizes and does not nessecarily need all of these conditons to become a community. So in short the idea is good but the conditions needed to create the community I don't really like.

It's not like you can't let more than max people in. The sad storys would be great to add because more than suggested max would be a challenge but  you did the right thing right?

And the conditions to run a community won't be something any one would be able to do. It'd take time and the resources would also be hard to get. Like a community without a wall would fall from bandits. Communities are just big groups that may be picking up people to expand their resources and what not.

However, I respect your opinion if you don't like the idea. :) Have a great day!

It's not that I don't like the idea it is just there shouldn't be conditions to create one except of course having a group of people.

Well, I thought you meant the opposite! I'm really confused :unsure:

Anyway, I think to create on is just to create one. You put up posters that tell other survivors where your camp is and that your inviting them. It dosen't have to be a fortress or anything at all. The game won't tell you that you created a community, it's just there. It's hard to explain...

I agree with you! That's all I'm trying to say! I'm just being very complicated for unknown reasons. :)

I think the most likely way a community would form is if two or more individual survivor groups that live in close proximity and are friendly with each other end up deciding to work together and fence off the area surrounding their safehouses.

I think the most likely way a community would form is if two or more individual survivor groups that live in close proximity and are friendly with each other end up deciding to work together and fence off the area surrounding their safehouses.

That's called a coalition.