Cement for buildings

Lothar

I've never worked with cement, but this is pretty much how I imagined it: making slabs or panels, like you do with bricks. This shows that it wouldn't be rocket science to figure out (even if the quality was shoddy at low skill levels).

Only issue being if you build a concrete slab with shoddy quality it cracks and falls apart, making it absolutely worthless.

Which in turn would make me curse and go back to working with wood. I've only really used plaster once too. Too much hassle :/

Maybe you could craft a frame in your inventory out of some number of planks, then place that in the world where you want your wall to be.  Mix your cement and use it on the frame, and you get a drying wall.  After a day or two (maybe more depending on rain) you could use a hammer or crowbar to recover the frame item and leave behind a solid wall.  The frame could then be re-placed in the world and used to build the same structure again.

That's exacltly what I am talking about.

I think that NPC should`t destroy walls etc. unless your order them to do so( NPCs still in development ) . But what kind of prick will destroy the wall of someone safe-house? It`s not in neighborhood spirit even for zombie apocalypsis. To avoid some unwelcome visitors you need to left only few sheet-ropes which lead to your house the rest of entrances should be blocked properly and you sholud simply close the windows(need to test it but in my opinion while both of your hands are busy while climbing it's difficult to open window).Unfortunately this method should work only when you are inside.

I think that NPC should`t destroy walls etc. unless your order them to do so( NPCs still in development ) . But what kind of prick will destroy the wall of someone safe-house? It`s not in neighborhood spirit even for zombie apocalypsis. To avoid some unwelcome visitors you need to left only few sheet-ropes which lead to your house the rest of entrances should be blocked properly and you sholud simply close the windows(need to test it but in my opinion while both of your hands are busy while climbing it's difficult to open window).Unfortunately this method should work only when you are inside.

Having met some NPCs in earlier builds, I think many of them would break down your walls if they have a sledgehammer, simply because they can't be bothered to go around, or they want to see what's in your house (and steal it), or they don't like your face etc. You might meet some friendly / reasonable NPCs in the upcoming builds, but they probably won't be the majority.

I think the idea is that you can barricade and fortify you hideout but NPCs and zombies can and will get in eventually. NPCs faster than zombies, obviously. How likely they will be to try remains to be seen. If they are like real people, they would probably want to break into your house more if they saw a lot of fortification. Either because it looked like a safe spot to camp in or because they expected to find good loot.

My policy will be to run and hide when raiders come.

My policy will be to run and hide when raiders come.

And my policy is "Eye for an eye" or better "Wall for a wall" in z-day atmosphere. )))

Right. I'm running to their base, with my sledgehammer :)

And without the right footing and base for that footing, it'll probably fail too.

This all seems like a hell of a lot of effort for something that could be accomplished at a much grander scale with wood.

Have you ever plastered a wall guys? Is not that simple and it requires more tools than just the buket. But in-game is faster than barricating.

Have you ever build a wall, some stairs with wood? It will surelly requires many tools than just "hammer and nails", and also quite a manual skill to make it stand and resist properly. Is not that simple AT ALL. But in-game is easy like drinking a beer.

So, why are you saing that is hard to do a concrete wall? (wicth it is, I'm not saing that isn't)

It's pointless to put out that.

All three of this operation are hard to perform.

It's just that 2 are in-game, so they go simple and smooth, and 1 isn't in-game.

And without the right footing and base for that footing, it'll probably fail too.

This all seems like a hell of a lot of effort for something that could be accomplished at a much grander scale with wood.

Have you ever plastered a wall guys? Is not that simple and it requires more tools than just the buket. But in-game is faster than barricating.

Have you ever build a wall, some stairs with wood? It will surelly requires many tools than just "hammer and nails", and also quite a manual skill to make it stand and resist properly. Is not that simple AT ALL. But in-game is easy like drinking a beer.

So, why are you saing that is hard to do a concrete wall? (wicth it is, I'm not saing that isn't)

It's just that 2 are in-game, so they go simple and smooth, and 1 isn't in-game.

You're right.

We'd better make crafting harder.

Romain! Romain!

You're right.

Romain! Romain!

There is a difference between reality and keep the game fun :D (pro' call that game design... and I suck at it :D)

But yeah, we can up this time a bit, maybe require more tools, it has to be an "end game" stuff :)

You're right.

Romain! Romain!

I didn't say that. I'm fine the way it's now. I'm saying that cement isn't more hard to manage than wood. Life experiece.

We already have the cement powder, it's just that you can't make anything with it for now :)

Glad to hear that!

Yeah, the problem here is : I have no clue how to make a cement wall... Hey, I'm a geek, not a construction worker

So I need to make some research on that (or maybe the team have already their idea on it, haven't talked about it with them...) to find a realistic solution to make cement wall...

Ahahah! :D

Just like I have no idea how to program a game!

Cement IS harder than wood, though. By a long margin. I can show you pictures of the house I built from the ground up and the shit concrete slab that we made. Wood is so much easier and less time consuming I can barely believe you're actually making the comparison...

Cement IS harder than wood, though. By a long margin. I can show you pictures of the house I built from the ground up and the shit concrete slab that we made. Wood is so much easier and less time consuming I can barely believe you're actually making the comparison...

Man you don't know what are you talking about. Seriously. No idea at all.

Anyway I have really no time or wish (since that I have to explain using english and it's hard for me) to explain you why are you so terribly wrong. Talking about weight is ridicuolus too; did you ever lift a... nevermind is useless to explain the reality to you guys! :)

You really have no idea. :evil:  But it's fine keep the drean on!!

P.S. Guys go try to make a wall with wood then tell me how much time it takes and if it doesn't fall like a piece of paper! ... Ahhahahah!

wxtirKR.pngModerator Warning

Not lovely.

Edited by nasKo

Man you don't know what are you talking about. Seriously. No idea at all.

Anyway I have really no time or wish (since that I have to explain using english and it's hard for me) to explain you why are you so terribly wrong. Talking about weight is ridicuolus too; did you ever lift a... nevermind is useless to explain the reality to you guys! :)

You really have no idea. :evil:  But it's fine keep the drean on!!

P.S. Guys go try to make a wall with wood then tell me how much time it takes and if it doesn't fall like a piece of paper! ... Ahhahahah!

No I don't think it's useless to explain anything like that. Please do. I am extremely interested to know how to build a sturdy wooden wall and how to use concrete as wall material. I know that building a wall would require a frame, something to hold it in place(sunk into the ground or attached to a concrete/stone base) and then the filling wood. (we're not building a modern house here, but a shack) Of course if you build a whole room you have support from sides. Now I'm no builder but I would know how to build a house if enough time given. It wouldn't be a sturdy one but it would be a shelter (that's why in game the zombies do get through walls pretty fast... You are right though about the time consumed in building stuff and maybe it could be even longer, but we can't have stuff that would take days to finish as it would just kill the fun.

And I do think your tone is a bit harsh...

Lothar, I'm afriad I have to disagree with you there.  Working with wood - and I am a carpenter more or less by trade - is far far far far easier than working with cement.  I don't want to make a long argument, especially if your English is not very good.  But consider this:

I have built plenty of walls out of wood.  Most of them went reasonably quickly and didn't crumple like paper when I was done.

I've also built things out of cement.  I've seen that go wrong more often.  As I mentioned in one of my posts, I've seen an improperly constructed frame burst open at the bottom and dump wet cement all over our working area.  I've seen a slab, poured without real knowledge of what to do, split completley down the middle in the first week.  I've seen a wall where the cement wasn't worked in properly around the rebar while being poured end up full of holes when the frame came off.

The point is, not only is working with wood easier and faster, but there's also a lot less that can go wrong if you mess up.  With lumber, if you nail a board in the wrong place you just pry it off and try again.  With concrete your mistakes are permanent and costly.

Not the same thing.  Not the same at all.

Please, tell me more about how I haven't built houses for a living. I'm so interested in hearing...

Really a warning?

For what?? Guys I don't know how to explain my self propely in english but to me it wasn't hars! I mean I even put smiles in it!

Too sensitive for my taste.. any way you are the moderator, so you shall moderate. "Not Lovely" had make my laught so hard!

Rathlord, if really you do houses for a living you are surelly not an european to have this kind of thinking on carpentry. I mean seems like you don't have any idea of how hard and full of skill you must be to buid a damn wall in wood that actually stand without any proper base. And you claim that is super hard to do a concrete wall witch basiclly need only a proper cointainer for the "colata" of concrete and a proper mix of water and concrete. It's so easy to use and that even the COLOSSEUM IS MADE IN CONCRETE like almost all the buildings in the Roman age. And there was no modern tools at that time. Just men using their brains and arms to build something that is still here in the modern age.

Repeat: NO MODERN TOOLS that could be available everywhere nowdays that make it so much easier to use.

That's why you don't seems to have any idea of how construction works, the real construction not the semi-prefabbricated houses that are in America. I'll love to be very more detailled with the process of making concrete but I can't make my self clear with english. And that's sucks.

p.s. don't be so sensitive about this one! No harsh fellings!