"Like Father, Like Son" A The Undertaking: Origins Survivor Story

Razzlie

A The Undertaking: Origins Survivor Story.

Like Father, Like Son

I can hear em. I can hear their clear moans and tapping steps moving around on the street outside the motel room. There must've been thousands of em making their way into the city. And all I could do was to sit here and wait. But for how long I didn't know. Hours? Days? With a broken ankle, a deep flesh wound across the left arm which were still bleeding quite heavily. My odds weren't exactly looking bright. The best I could do now was to keep pressure on it with my already blood soaked piece of cloth, and hope to find a medical stach somewhere, or even better, a first aid kit. Perhaps the bathroom could provide me such luck? I highly doubted but as the messy situation looked like, I didn't hesitate to check.

As I were struggling to get up on my feets, I started to hear several clumsy footsteps approaching the door within the motel corridor. It didn't take long before the loud noises of groans and mouns could be loudly heard joint up with em. They're coming. I knew this wasen't just a few. This was above the exedeed number that my old cracking bones could handle at once.

The adrenaline kicked in fast, like a cold rush. Once I'd managed to properly get up on my toes, I quickly felt a sting of pain in the right ankle, making me lose balance and fall towards the wall. It gave out a proper large bang that probably alerted several more of em out on the street.
"Shit!"
I mutely yelled with my teeths bit together. The agony from the wound and the the broken ankle was nearly unbearable up to this point. I could bearly stand for christ sake!
"No.. It can't end like this." I reminded myself. I had to keep my promise to them. I couldn't die like this, not now.
I continued to quietly repeat the sentence several times for myself, as I straighten up from the wall. I reached my hand inside my dirty and blood stained coat and pulled out my trustworthy Survival Knife. I limped over towards the only messy single bed in the room and cut off a large piece of clothing from the sheet for my wound. I quickly removed the soaked one and replaced it.

"Abit better. Should help for now."
I briefly mumbled as I slowely turned towards the window to see if anything had moved up towards it. To my horrific suprise, the window had already been completley overshadowed by zeds. Nothing else except them could be seen now. They all continuously kept pressing themselfs up towards the small window frame. Making my heart take a skip. Despite that I've encounterd them and seen tons of them up close before, this takes the bullet. The image of several dead rotten corpses with guts and teeth hangling out nearly everywhere on em and pressed up onto the glass, made me stare paralyzed at them for a few seconds. For a moment I couldn't move, nor could I hear anything. It felt like someone had paused reality for a moment. Having me taking in what awaited behind that translucent frame. Were I about to see the light? The light in the end of the tunnel? I rested my mind on that thought for a second. But I briefly snapped out of it by a gentle warm touch on my right hand. I looked down and saw a few slivers of sunlight on the floor who were desperately trying to make it's way into the room past the over crowded window. A tiny piece of light were resting on my shiny knife, displaying two letters carved into the side of the blade. "M" and "S".
I grabbed the handle with both hands and pressed them tightly around the leather, as my pale face turned into an unresisted frown. I could feel a tear emerge down my eye. I started to shiver.
"I'm sorry.. I'm so sorry."
I stuttered with a cry in my voice as I sank down to my knees.
"I.. I can't do it. I'm so tired of thinking about you two."
As I mumbled, the noises of moans and groans slowely fadded back to me. It became louder and louder for every second. Scratches and bangs had also catched up, it could be heard all around outside the tiny room I were stuck in. The window were about to give in, noises of clear cracks could be heard. Indicating that my time on this earth, were about to be torn apart.
I were scared but I couldn't move.
The bangs became nearly synchronized, making my ears hurt.
"Please forgive me." I said, as a stream of tears unleashed down my cheeks.
Another ear-piercing bang filled my head.
I could hear how tiny pieces of wood shattered from the door behind me among the deafening bangs.
I shrunk down on the ground, still shaking. Knowing there was nothing I could do.
Another bang and another and another.
I closed my eyes while holding the knife close to my chest. Knowing I didn't have to struggle anymore.
"It's soon over.." I quietly whispered.
"..Soon"

To be continued...

PLEASE READ: As much as I'd love to see some positive comments around this thread, I feel like it's needed to keep this thread as clean as possible off folks, just for the sake of the story. So be kind and keep comments off this thread please. Liking and following is the only and most appreciated way to show your interest and support for this ongoing story, thank you!

The server has been shut down and will probably come to an end shortly. Its a shame but the story of Barry that was part of the server will still live on. In other words, I will continue and finish this story. Stay tuned!

You may also be interested to check out my Youtube channel if you like survival/horror gaming!

• 1 month later...
----------------

Chapter - #0.5 - "Just like him."

----------------

I remember when I was younger, how my dad used to ask me what I wanted to become when I grew up. I always told him that I wanted to be just like him. Some parents may have expected their children to wish for becoming a train driver, a policeman, a doctor or a fireman. But no. I always pointed up to my dad with a smile on my face as I jumped up and down on the spot, repeatedly telling him.

"I wanna be like you dad! I wanna be just like you!"

He always looked so happy at me when I told him that. Nothing seemed to bring him down. No matter what it was.

Every morning before school at the dinner table he asked me what I wish to have for breakfast. I could ask for nearly anything and he would bring me it straight out of the fridge or he would pick it out of one of our many kitchen cabinets. My favorite breakfast menu were actually sour milk with muesli, raisins and a glass of orange juice. I barely ate any sandwiches at all in my childhood strangly enough, but I didn't mind it at all, neither did my dad. And before I headed to school he always hugged me and told me to do my best in class, no matter how hard it was to understand, I always had to try. And I listened to him, despite my young age. I knew that he wanted the best for me. How importent it was I got a good education. Otherwise.. I couldn't become just like him.

"..Dad?"

"Yes Barry, what it is?" He asked with a calm voice as he rested the storybook on his lap.

"Why do you have to leave at night?"

"Dad has work, you know that." He smiled.

"But you work so much. Can't you stay home tonight with me?"

I looked up at him from under my cozy blanket and awaited the obvious answer.

He looked at me for a moment but returned his eyes towards the book for a second before he took a deep breath and looked back at me.

"You know that I wish that I could be here with you at all time. If I could I would. I wouldn't lie about that. Once you've finished school, I promise things will change. But right now dad has to concentrate at his work. Otherwise-"

He suddenly stopped with his hand halfway up towards his face, as if he meant to cover his mouth with it. He slowly brought it back down toward the end of the book cover and asked me with a kind tone.

"Do you want me to read the rest or should we save the last chapter for tomorrow?" He tried to keep a cheerful grim up but I saw straight throught it.

I turned around away from him with my view aimed towards the close lightblue wall, as I rolled my blanket all around me until I looked like a cacoon.

There was a brief paus but he soon responded saying.

"I'm sorry Barry. Dad will be home soon, I-I promise. Sleep well and dream sweet dreams." He said with a lowerd voice.

He leaned over the bed and gave me a smooch kiss on the back of my head and started to make his way out of the room. Halfway through he stopped and told me in his fairly brief voice.

"Daddy loves you, Barry."

"I love you too dad." I responded.

And with a last few steps he reached the door, turned off the lights and left. I were left alone in the darkness once more.

----------------

Chapter - #1 - "Goodbye my dear."

----------------

You wouldn't believe yourself as young when you imagined or heard that you would grow old one day. But time passes by faster than you can think. And one day you stand there in your bathroom, looking into that mottled mirror and examine your ongoing wrinkles that starts to take form.

"Sigh.. Time sure goes fast." I thought.

I turned on the tap and dipped my hands under the cold rushing water, washed my face thoroughly and turned it off.

I left the bathroom and continued through my small apartment with a tiny towel on one of my shoulders as I was searching for a shirt. The apartment was fairly small I must confess. It doesn't contain too many furnitures or rooms either. There's a small kitchen corner closest to the balcony that links up to the living room. My bedroom was next door from the TV, which is surronded by two drawers on either side of it. In the living room you could also see a small kitchen table with a few chairs around it, a couch, a few plants hidden in the dark corners, a bookshelf filled with everything from movies, CD's and old boardgames all the way back from my young age, up until now. And last but not least, my furry friend Beigel, who always seems to slumber in peace on the left hand side of the gloomy couch. 

I reached down and stroke his soft fur a few times as he stretched himself out off a cozy dream. I looked over at the kitchen floor. There was enough food and water over at his dinner corner that would last him for atleast a couple days. There was nothing to worry about. I would be back home before nightfall again anyways. I stroke him a couple more times before I returned to my search.

But despite all of this, it hasen't really bothered me for the past eight years. That might sound bizarre to some how a man can have strength to live on for such a long time alone, but for someone like me who've seen and done enough in life already, would probably say; "I've lived and done my part. There's nothing left for me to do. I'm happy and I'll live out my days here in my peaceful home."

You get use to it, especially if you still have a little friend around.

Suddenly I hear my selfphone buzzer a few meters away on the drawer next to the TV. I reached for it and looked at the number. I were way too familiar with it, so I took a grueling breath and answered.

"Yes hello?"

"Hi, where are you? Micheal has been waiting here for twenty minutes now. He wonder when you'll be here."

The person talking on the phone was my step-daughter that's been calling to me for the third time this morning. I'v promised to take her son Micheal on a little flight in my good ol Cessna 411 that I bought several years back today. I don't fly it that often though, due to the lack of company around these day. But once Micheal finds some spare time off school, he always use to ask his mother if me and him can go and fly for abit at some points. Usually I feel bad when I hear her call sometimes, as it's not always that easy for me to just get everything ready and setup for a flight and other times I'm not always free or motivated that specific week. But as Micheal's birthday was just around the corner, I couldn't resist.

"I'm just about done, I'll be there in 10 minutes." I replied to her as I grab a shirt I managed to see beneath the couch.

"Great. Thank you Barry for taking care of him today. He's been looking forward to this for weeks." She said with an inch of relief in her tone.

"No worries. I'll see you two soon."

"Yes, we will. Bye."

"Bye."

I hang up the phone and made haste towards the frontdoor. While jumping on one leg I tried to put my shoe on with one hand and with the other I reached for my coat and car keys. Before I buttoned my warm clothing I softly said goodbye to my fuzzy friend from within the hallway. He responded with a tiresome meow and I smiled to myself.

Shortly after I closed my apartment door gently. It were to be the last time I interacted with that creaky old door. Never would I see my bed, couch, TV, kitchen or Beigle.. ever again.

And now I were off toward the Nashville Airport.

After about 20 minutes of small crowded traffic and a daredevil speeder, I reached the parkinglot next to the airstrip entrance. Surprisingly the place wasen't enormously overcrowded by vehicals or people in general. Despite that it was an early Friday morning. And I knew it could be tricky to find a nice spot to park on under hectic weekend mornings. But today that problem didn't seem to exist, not even the slightest. Happy about the stroke of luck, I parked nicely and reposeful into one of the filters.

As I climbed out of the car I could feel a slight gust of air strike my hair. I raised my hand over the forehead as I started scouting out where Micheal and his mother were. They could be seen a couple meters away over by the entrance. It were starting to get abit chilly, so I picked up the pace just to spare them the wait.

As I approached I could see how Micheals frown turned around in an instance as he started to pull his mothers jacket while pointing excitedly towards me. I waved my hand back to him with a growing smile. His mother on the other hand, she looked just as pale and uninterested as always. Not because of me I hope, I know she's been having a hard time with accommodation for the past couple of weeks. Especially without her husband around. So I assume it's still that.

"Hey how you doing you two?" I asked while I slowely made my way down on my knees to reach out for Micheal.

"We're alright grandpa." He answer as he embraced me. "Just abit cold, that's all."

I briefly laughed.

"Well that's good to hear." I said while patting his shoulder. "We'll get ya nice and warm again once we're onboard grandpa's plane."

He smiled abit as he clapped his hands with excitement.

I made my way back up on steady legs and turned my interest slightly over towards the second individual next to me. We both looked at eachother for what felt like minutes, but she shortly turned her view down towards the ground while reaching for a cigar from inside her pocket. She looked so miserable and it made it even harder for me to keep my mood up for Micheal.

I reached into one of my larger pockets and pullet out a rubik cube. Micheal always loves to see me bring it with me, I don't really see much interest in it myself anymore. But I guess the younger generation still finds them occupying and challenging. Atleast Micheal do. 

I stretched out my hand towards him and offered him to take it. His smile got even wider as he reached out for it and picked it up carefully while he thanked me. 

I leaned over Micheal and with a lowerd voice I asked; "Could you do me a quick favor before we head inside Micheal?"

"Yes grandpa?" He answered with a curious expression.

"I just want you to go over there under the roof for a minute, I need to ask your mother something. I'll come over once we're done."

I pointed towards a large buss stop behind him a couple meters away.

He nods and without further question he started to make he's way down the sidewalk.

I kept an eye on him for a moment, but the smell of fresh blown tobacco filled the air. I covered my mouth and nose with my arm as I gave out a slight cough. I turned my view back over towards the mother again. She were resting unto a steal fence with her back to me while smoking silently away in the chilly weather.

I took a few tiny steps over to her while trying to find strength to say something, but for each step I took, it became even more and more difficult.

About a meter away from her I stopped. I started scratching my beard, wondering what to say. I just wanted to keep it short. Maybe just see how she was doing. No need for any big or unnecessary speeches that would upset her in any way. After a few seconds I found the courage, I took a deep breath and just as I were about to speak..

"You're becoming more like him." She said.

I stuttered by her sudden response. I were abit confused but still relieved.

"What do you mean?"

She were still starring away from me out unto the low crowded traffic in the distance.

"How you act. You're like his father." She pronounced with a slow and calm voice.

"I'm not. I'm just trying to keep him happy and you know that."

There was a breif paus before she continued.

"He loves you Barry. He won't stop talking about how much he's looking forward to see you again. Nearly every day, he mention you atleast once."

"And so what?" I asked while taking a slow step towards her.

"Some days I wonder if he remembers the man that brought him here in the first place.."

"Sofia.." I said while trying to interrupt her.

"And now we're here again, doing the same things again.." Her tone had changed abit into both a rapid and agitated pace.

She straightened up and started to faintly swing her hands around as if she was trying to accuse me for something serious.

"He never sees his friends anymore, he never wanna hear me read for him anymore, he's not the same anymore thanks to you!"

"Sofia." I continued to say while keeping a fairly controlled tone.

"Why did you make this happen huh?!" She nearly screams as she throws her cigar down next to my shoes.

I could feel how a few eyes were resting on us over the ongoing escalation. I hope one of them weren't Michael's.

"If you only.." Her voice were turning into a cry. I could see how sacks of tears were building up in her small eyes.

"Please Sofia, there's no need." I responded. I tried to reach out for her but she quickly put her legs in motion and started to walk away.

"You two have fun now." She mumbled with tears in her throat.

But I managed to reach her arms before she got out of reach. I pulled her gently back while she was trying to shove me away.

"Let me go! Let me go I said!" She cried.

"I will, just please, listen to me Sofia." I silently said as I pulled her up as close to me as I could.

"No! Let go off me I said!"

I didn't try to stare directly into her eyes, as they just made it harder for me to hold back my own.

"Please Sofia, listen to me now." I said with some seriousness in my tone.

She started to calm down from the shoving and her frustratedly loud, crying voice. She wasen't looking at me, she were just starring over my shoulder with a dusk of wind carefully lifting her long dark hair.

I continued talking.

"I know," I stammered for a second while doing my best to keep back the emotions.

"I know that things hasen't been looking up for neither you or Michael lately. Trust me, I know how you feel. You're not alone."

She was starring down at the ground now and I could feel how she started to relax her muscles. So I let go of her arms slightly while I had a fast sweep around us. From what I could make out, there was a young couple looking over towards us with swifting expressions. I turned my view back down to Sofia.

"Things aren't any easier for me neither you know. You never manage to fully get over such an horrific accident as that one. So I know how you feel and I miss him more then anything else in this world right now. Just like you and Michael do. Michael hasen't forgotten him at all, I know that. But if we look back to the ones we once knew before, we'll never manage to control that pain we carry with us from them. I believe that's why he doesn't wanna talk about him. But he still misses him, I know that, I know."

I stopped for a moment, hoping she would say something. Perhaps she was going to apologize for her sudden temper. But to my suprise I started to hear a new wave of sorrow. She leaned towards me and I embraced her. I could hear a shivering cry digged into my coat. I didn't really know what to do or say. I would never had imagined that a situation like this would've occurred around Sofia a day like this one. I were still worried that Michael had seen it all. I could only hope he hadn't.

We just stod there, me holding her while the wind started to turn around for the better. I swung my eyes over towards were the couple had stood, but they had already left and were a good way down the crossroad. I looked back down on Sofia and asked her if she were alright. She slowely nodded and I let go off her. She stepped back a few feets and started to wipe away her streams of tears while giving out a sniff and two. Shortly after she looked back up on me and she were actually trying to smile as best as she could but nothing more then a half grin were showed.

"I'm sorry for that. I don't really know why I got so upset." She said with a sad tone.

"It's ok." I replied.

"It's just.." She started.

"Times are hard today and at some points we can't keep that smile of ours up." I implied.

She lowered her view again, down to my shoe level and nodded for a second.

My expression changed more and more for every minute. Soon I would probably look twice as miserable as she were right now. But I had to end this before Michael started to wonder were I was. Can't leave that kid for this long.

"I'm sorry. But know that I grief with you, Sofia. And I promise, once Michael is done with his education, things will change. I'll make it happen."

With my last smile that I could give her I reached out for her again, inviting her to a last huge and she took it.

"Thanks Barry and again, I'm sorry."

"Don't think about it. It's all fine. You do what you need to do now. We'll meet you here again at four."

And with that said, we had our goodbyes, we turned our backs to eachother and continued our days on different fronts, with different tasks. But the continuation of my day was about to become the greatest challenge I were to ever face in my entire life.

To be continued...

PLEASE READ: As much as I'd love to see some positive comments around this thread, I feel like it's needed to keep this thread as clean as possible off folks, just for the sake of the story. So be kind and keep comments off this thread please. Liking and following is the only and most appreciated way to show your interest and support for this ongoing story, thank you!

The server has been shut down and will probably come to an end shortly. Its a shame but the story of Barry that was part of the server will still live on. In other words, I will continue and finish this story. Stay tuned!

You may also be interested to check out my Youtube channel if you like survival/horror gaming!

Archived