Horses

Frying Pan

Since there isnt any meanings of transportation left you are going to find an alternative.

Animals and stuff here:

http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/10234-wild-animals-and-you-who-let-the-dogs-out/

You basicly wander to a farm and find a almost dead/decent condition horse. Now you just need a saddle and the horses trust to ride it :)

Can walk or gallop by pressing the player run button.

But has to be fed grass (on fields and stuff), vegetable etc.

I'd be interested in seeing these. There's farms already on the map (I think there may even be a ranch), though I'd imagine after a while the horses would wander a bit from their original location given that their handlers would have scarpered. As an alternative to cars they would have their own pros and cons. Sure they wouldn't need fuel or spare parts, but instead they would have to deal with being injured, startled and you'd need a supply of food and water for them. That and they wouldn't travel as fast as vehicles nor have the carrying capacity, but they could be much quieter (oh, but both have the opportunity for upgrades, ie saddle bags). A good idea, but not something that'd be easy to implement fully. ...I'd expect to see that scene from The Walking Dead where Rick's horse dies happening a lot though. :(

Ah, horses. We meet again, old foe.

I'd love to see horses get added into the game, but it's not as easy as people seem to think it is. If they've been left to their own designs for long enough, they're going to turn feral and training them would be almost impossible. Anything less than a perfectly trained horse and a master rider, you're going to have problem when the horse sees or even smells a zed cause it's gonna get startled and buck you off to leave you to your doom. Possibly with a broken arm or leg. Maybe even get you caught in the leather of the saddle and drag you for a couple miles.

I'd like to see that happen.

Since there isnt any meanings of transportation left you are going to find an alternative.

Animals and stuff here:

http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/10234-wild-animals-and-you-who-let-the-dogs-out/

You basicly wander to a farm and find a almost dead/decent condition horse. Now you just need a saddle and the horses trust to ride it :)

Can walk or gallop by pressing the player run button.

But has to be fed grass (on fields and stuff), vegetable etc.

you are aware that vehicles are coming  "soon", right? (no ETA, don't ask)

I would love to see horse in the game. With vehicles and animals both being added to the game some day this would be great to see.

Now it would be nice if they added a skill for riding and animal handling and driving (for cars). But what will be fun is how are they going to deal with fear and combat. The characters get scare easy when the undead pop up. Now think of a horse 1,100 pounds of scared cat at the first sight of some thing that smalls bad and dead and that's still moving. Oh hell yes that could be fun if you do not have the skills to keep it under control. There are way to help this like finding blinders or just having a good skill to train the horse or even horse drugs.

Now horse that are used in combat are trained for it and the war horse of old have not been seen much in the horse of today. Again this will come out in your training skill. Horse will try and get away from the walking dead thing. And you will have to teach it that you want to kill the dead things(yes I just said kill the dead thing lol). The horse will not like this human on his back firing boom sticks next to it ears so that will be fun as well. I can not wait to see how that would do combat from a horse. It be more like polo ride by swing.

Also it might be nice to see horse drawn carts and wagon. You could have a moving safe house. I know with vehicles being added at some point you might see RV's as well. But a wagon has 1 to 2 horse power and it runs off grass.

Anyway I can run on for hours I think this is a great idea I hope they are planing to put it in some time. Nice suggestion. ;)

I would guess that the closest thing to a "medieval knight horse" would be the police horses they use in riots and such. I do not know about the cop horses and their training, but when we were younger, we taught the horses not to be afraid from sounds, shooting from horseback (with the horse wearing those ear plug thingies ofc) and they actually could handle sounds. A horse with those combos might be useful in a zed environment.

However, most horses would be scared shitless and anything resembling zeds, aka humans, would not be able to get close to em.

I don't see why horses would be instinctiy scared of zeds. They look like humans, which would be associated with food and care. Any horse which had a chance to have negative reinforcement from zed would just be dead. It's not like they could only chew on them a little bit, enough to make then scared of the dead.

As much as I like the idea of horses, I reckon the average joe arguement would have just as much ground here as any. I don't know how, or know anyone who does knows how to ride a horse. I dont imagine it's something you can just jump up and do. Seems like there would be a fair bit of technique involved. I don't think I would even give it a go with a trained professional to show me the ropes.

completely disagree on the Average Joe argument. riding a horse, ESPECIALLY in the state of Kentucky, would be something an average person could do. why do i say especially in Kentucky? the state is famous for horses. it's not a mere coincidence that the Kentucky Derby is held there. an average person in one of its many towns would certainly know how, or know someone who could tech them how to ride

http://www.kentuckytourism.com/things_to_do/horses.aspx

So they have a race track? I live in a city that has a carnival to celebrate a world known horse race. Doesn't mean I, or the general work anywhere other then specifically with horses public would know anymore about them. Another point is my town was a major gold fields minin town. A large portion of income here comes from mining, and the tourism related to mining (non active mines offering tours etc) still doesn't mean average joe would know anything about it.

My point wasn't that that people wouldn't be able to learn to use horses, on the contrary, it was an example of how there are plenty of things that the average joe wouldn't know, but I don't feel would be difficult to learn if and when the situation dictated that learning the skill was necessary.

An really good example being native Americans. they hadn't even incountered horses or guns until exposed to then by western seatlers, and they quickly learned how to use both to basically fight a guerrilla war

Guys, horses and cows would be long gone or dead in PZ. Remember the hordes? now imagine a horde sweeping through the towns and the countryside. horses and cows are always inside pastures. once a horde breaks into it, the animal is a goner. Riding horses would be awesome, but with the scale of the undead hordes, none will survive, or those that do will run for their lives and be out of the map area.

Though I'd kind of like to see a horde descend on a herd of cattle. That'd be just terrible.

Guys, horses and cows would be long gone or dead in PZ. Remember the hordes? now imagine a horde sweeping through the towns and the countryside. horses and cows are always inside pastures. once a horde breaks into it, the animal is a goner. Riding horses would be awesome, but with the scale of the undead hordes, none will survive, or those that do will run for their lives and be out of the map area.

Whose to say that the ranchers who own the animals wouldn't, upon seeing the hordes moving in, break down the fences to let their animals out so they can run to safety? I mean if you know for certain that the horde is gonna break your fence down and eat your herd you might as well let the animals run free and try to gather them back up at a later date if you survive.

Whose to say that the ranchers who own the animals wouldn't, upon seeing the hordes moving in, break down the fences to let their animals out so they can run to safety? I mean if you know for certain that the horde is gonna break your fence down and eat your herd you might as well let the animals run free and try to gather them back up at a later date if you survive.

Yep what Kajin said is right as well as the horse and cows would be on the outskirts of town and the zeds hordes are in town. Remember all the food in the stores are still fresh this tells us that it has just reached the point of where the poo has hit the fan. I do not think the hordes have reached the outer farms yet just a few zed's. And horse are 1.100 lb of sacred cat. They will run from the dead smelling humans.