Modifiers For Arrows

migulao

So, I have a few ideas for diferent ideas for modifiers that make arrows more efficient:

1 - Explosive Arrow - I've seen in a thread that someone ( Don't remember if it was a mod, or dev or ad or support team ) said that we might see pipe-bombs in the game, so I thought that we could attach pipe-bombs to arrows, and make them explosive, it would basically be a long range pipe bomb, at the cost of arrow materials.

2 - Incendiary Arrow 

Type 1 - The weakest type, these types of arrows can me made from dousing alcohol in the tip of the arrow, setting it on fire. It can hit one zombie and set it one fire, with the fire slowly climbing to its head, and then burning it's brain, and the zombie has a rare chance of setting other zombies on fire, but no chance of setting others when first hit with the arrow.

Type 2 - The stronger type, these ones can be made by putting alcohol inside a closed space atttached to the arrow (prefebely a glass bottle), that will break and splatter alcohol everywhere, and dousing alcohol a little bit away from the bottle. this type of arrow will burn the zombie faster and has a high chance of setting other zombies on fire, and a even higher chance of setting them on fire when first hit.

3 - Noise-Maker - These types of arrows are made simply for calling a zombies attention to a place where you aren't, so that you don't have to shout and attract every zombie to your location, as it has a high chance of going wrong, and you getting surrounded.... and eaten.

These can be made by attaching a fire-cracker to the arrow, and use a match to set it on fire, then launch the arrow.

4 - Zombie-Blood - Now these, you will use for either two reasons:

You want to be a ginormous ass to your friends, or:

You want to make sure an NPC isn't coming back for you.

Either way, we know that after killing millions of zombies and being splattered in blood, you only get infected if the zombies blood only infect you if it come in contact with yours.

So, I'm suggesting that we can cut p a zombie and take his blood and putting it in a glass (For the love of god, make sure you have more, because you will NOT be able to drink from it again), and dousing that blood in the arrow, which we can shoot at a survivor, that will pierce his / her veins and infect them.

I hope you like the ideas, and tell me what you think :D

have you ever read the zombie survival guide? im just wondering? :D

the last one the essentially poison arrow would be a cruel way to off some one... so i love it!

but the others have a some flaws.. the pipe bomb one wouldnt work it would be to heavy, it would go like 5-10 feet. leaving you in potential danger.

the fire arrows you describe wouldn't really work.. the 2nd one with the bottle would be like the pipe bomb and ontop of that the sloshing flammable material would make the arrow go all over the place you would have the same problem as the pipe bomb but with the added chance that arrow is going to hit 5 feet off target as it will be wobbling through the are more.

and the first fire arrow part wouldnt work either to get the fire to stay lit ya need cloth and an oilish substance or kerosine with a tiny bit of cloth wrapped around the tip.

as the flame would go out other wise :)

edit: oh fire arrows though could be fun vs other players.. ie by lighting there base on fire.

the only way i can see a firecracker working would be if you had a wick going down the shaft of the arrow with a slowish burning fuse. with the chance that it can be rubbed/cut off from the contact with the bow upon releasing the arrow.. alll in all could be use full to a degree. cooking timers would work too..

Any arrow with anything more than a few ounces attached to it will not fly, despite what movies would have you believe. If you want a fire arrow, an oil soaked rag is the best thing you can do, but even then it's unpredictable and useless against human beings- people don't burn just from being near fire (nor do zombies). Again, despite movies/Game of Thrones, fire arrows are only useful against people as intimidation tactics, "tracer rounds" at night, and to attempt to light structures on fire. The fire isn't for anti-personnel use.

Vision of arrows related to whatever crafting level they are related to:

no skill: Stick + rags/feathers=makeshift arrow. Crap ballistics, damage and penetration. (sharpen stick with knife, add any sort of winglets, might need thread in micro doses)

1 skill: Stick+feathers only + gram of gravel=balanced arrow. Okay ballistics, weak damage and penetration. (make missile front hollow, add gravel for weight, wrap tightly with cord)

2 skill: Previous arrow + some crap tin=tin capped arrow. Okay ballistics and damage, weak penetration. (use a piece of tin and a blunt object to craft an external tip for the arrow)

3 skill: Stick+metal tip made by cutting scrap iron+feathers=3x OK (needs a metal saw to be in game)

4 skill: Light metal pipe+feathers or synthetic analogs+sharpened steel tips Great ballistics and penetration, okay damage. (made by cutting and then sharpening steel scrap, supposedly reusable arrow - i.e. 90% chance to find it in inventory of a zombie shot by it, whereas previous arrows would only have 30 and less% chance)

5 skill: Wooden stick and feathers + a 20mm explosive round and a bit of scrap metal=explosive arrow. Ok ballistics and penetration, good damage, noise depending on luck on delivery - from little to gunshot. (Idea is to have military leftovers including boxes of 20mm high explosive rounds not usable directly unless via this craft or a boom stick, i.e. an explosive spear or club)

As you may notice - no fire arrows here. Because they are not useful themselves - they must be part of a system of either distracting or doing something to the map. If the other part - of what exactly they could be doing were to be implemented, then I'd put these arrows to skill level 3 as another type of external tip for gravel arrow.

plenty of reasons for a fire arrow.. there more useful and easier to make then an 20mm explosive shell.. hell you wouldnt even be able to attach one... i mean you could but is it going to go anywhere probably not..

There's reasons for them, but none of the reasons are for hurting the individual human the arrow hits. You can't send an arrow with gasoline- it has to be something slow burning and not very volatile like oil or tar. People don't burn; even if the clothes light up a bit (and it won't be quick), it's easy to pat out and the burn wounds would never be life threatening. The big arrow sticking out of your body is going to be the thing doing the damage to the person.

plenty of reasons for a fire arrow.. there more useful and easier to make then an 20mm explosive shell.. hell you wouldnt even be able to attach one... i mean you could but is it going to go anywhere probably not..

There's reasons for them, but none of the reasons are for hurting the individual human the arrow hits. You can't send an arrow with gasoline- it has to be something slow burning and not very volatile like oil or tar. People don't burn; even if the clothes light up a bit (and it won't be quick), it's easy to pat out and the burn wounds would never be life threatening. The big arrow sticking out of your body is going to be the thing doing the damage to the person.

oh of course i agree but a fire arrow is more feasible and useful then an arrow with a 20mm shell on it.. plus actually if its a tar or oil fire.. that crap aint going out when you pat it down.. not that easily. and i already said the best use for it! starting a house on fire someones base.. xD

or lighting a trap from a distance...

I think, just because of the possibility it'd be used to grief like hell with on servers, fire arrows'd be a really, really, really bad idea ;)

isnt there Molotov's? same sorda thing one you just gotta make with an arrow and it would take longer to start a fire...

I think, just because of the possibility it'd be used to grief like hell with on servers, fire arrows'd be a really, really, really bad idea ;)

isnt there Molotov's? same sorda thing one you just gotta make with an arrow and it would take longer to start a fire...

At least with the molotovs the range is pretty short, so you'd have to get there and face at least a bit of danger for what you're doing.

Arrows, on the other hand... :P

At least with the molotovs the range is pretty short, so you'd have to get there and face at least a bit of danger for what you're doing.

Arrows, on the other hand... :P

That's kinda the point of fire arrows  ;)

(ba dum tss)

Poison is a good idea, but generally speaking it's more a way of making someone ill, than causing immediate problems. You'll not likely be able to come up with a strong enough poison to affect at great quantities. Storing the arrow heads in rotten flesh, or in dead zombies should do the trick.

In the last ~10 years basically all poison has been outlawed except some like bromethalin and diphacinone, which are incredibly hard to poison people with. The days of arsenic being buyable in stores is long gone :D

As Kirrus says, zombie guts would be the way to go; it's not going to be an instant kill, but it'll be one eventually.

In the last ~10 years basically all poison has been outlawed except some like bromethalin and diphacinone, which are incredibly hard to poison people with. The days of arsenic being buyable in stores is long gone :D

As Kirrus says, zombie guts would be the way to go; it's not going to be an instant kill, but it'll be one eventually.

That's what I was going for, not a insta-kill, just a way to make sure they don't stay alive.

It's a trade, arrows may not kill, but if they do, its instant.

Zombie blood is certain death, but takes days to complete.

There's an all too easy idea of corpse poison for killing humans, but other poisons for use in hunting seem too complex for an average American. Which is bad, cuz corpse poison works slowly as hell - too slowly to take direct effect during single fight, and therefore has it's use limited to some incoming scares and maybe sadistic quests.

There's an all too easy idea of corpse poison for killing humans, but other poisons for use in hunting seem too complex for an average American. 

I never mentioned zombie blood for hunting, that is...

DEAR GOD.

You deserve all the cookies in the world.

Shoot a animal with zombie poison, other survivors actually kill the animal then eat him, then they turn into zombies...

YEAH!

(Sorry, that really got me excited :P )

On the notion of zombie blood arrrows: You cruel, sick inhuman bastard.

But on a more serious note: infected arrow heads is nothing new- longbowmen used to put their arrows in the soil and pluck them out to get contagions on them so that when their arrows were notched and flew into their targets, even if the arrow didn't kill the poor fellow it'd cause a rampant infection that'd sear through them painfully. The biggest killer in lots of wars in the past wasn't even the combat itself- it was the resulting infections from the inflicted wounds that festered and killed them.

However- I think that while this zombie virus, as potent as it is, zombie arrows would be REALLY easy to make and be a horrible way to grief:

So here's my suggestion for it. If the players have the resilient perk, lots of food, or penicillin/equivalent in this game, or all 3 and can immediately tend to or pull out the arrow and bandage out the wound- the infection should not spread. Burning the wound as well to help stop the infection too, adds a whole new level of medical treatment and was a realistic way to deal with arrow wounds before modern medicine. It's not a guaranteed way to survive but you have better chances then griping in pain for a whole week and them brutally dying to an infection from the zombie plague.

As to balance out fire arrows- they require bandages doused in gasoline or if its introduced, tar/pitch, and not only that they will NOT do very much damage to both zombies or players (because due to the weight it'll make the arrow wonky and have less penetration power) but its very good for burning structures.

The counter to this is do what people back in the day used to do- see that bastard launching that pitched arrow onto your poor roof or wall? After you drived the scum off your lawn, douse the damn thing in water and contain the fire. And on that note, I hope the ability to douse fires with buckets of water (and yes, buckets- water bottles won't be enough- cooking pots could work too.) is added into game. I've had horrible experiences of glitchy fires spreading in multiplayer due to badly placed fires or miswatched ovens, and having a way to combat fire in general should be in game. Even if it will be a costly means to fight back against it, given water is so precious.

As for the old oil fields trick of dousing a field in fuel and then lighting it on fire... sounds like a nightmare for the devs to make ingame and balance.

On the notion of zombie blood arrrows: You cruel, sick inhuman bastard.

But on a more serious note: infected arrow heads is nothing new- longbowmen used to put their arrows in the soil and pluck them out to get contagions on them so that when their arrows were notched and flew into their targets, even if the arrow didn't kill the poor fellow it'd cause a rampant infection that'd sear through them painfully. The biggest killer in lots of wars in the past wasn't even the combat itself- it was the resulting infections from the inflicted wounds that festered and killed them.

However- I think that while this zombie virus, as potent as it is, zombie arrows would be REALLY easy to make and be a horrible way to grief:

So here's my suggestion for it. If the players have the resilient perk, lots of food, or penicillin/equivalent in this game, or all 3 and can immediately tend to or pull out the arrow and bandage out the wound- the infection should not spread. Burning the wound as well to help stop the infection too, adds a whole new level of medical treatment and was a realistic way to deal with arrow wounds before modern medicine. It's not a guaranteed way to survive but you have better chances then griping in pain for a whole week and them brutally dying to an infection from the zombie plague.

You have already contracted the virus, the blood as come in contact with it, and it as already spread through your body, there is no way to survive unless it somehow didn't pierce the skin and/or veins. Zombie bites and scratches arent guaranteed to infect you because it might have not come in contact with your blood, therefore you don't get infected, but with arrows with so much more power?  that's a diferent story, and attempring to heal the wound AFTER the arrows has pierced it is not going to change a thing.

Was worth a shot. I guess the best way to counter that then is simply to dodge, or bludgeon/shoot that evil bastard in the kneecap and rip off his fingers and make him have a taste of his own medicine.

On another note- what about the addition of makeshift throwing spears, javelins, atl atls, slings and other projectile weapons the crafty survivor can create?