Weapon "holders"

Aenye Deithven

The longsword discussion (don't worry, I'm not going to get started on that one) reminded me of something interesting - Dostoyevsky's "Crime and Punishment". It might be strange that discussion of visiting bloody murder upon the undead made a mental connection to a classic of literature, but...

Gaffa Tape Warrior said this: "A sword is convienient; you can wear it on your belt and have both hands free for climbing and carrying and working." in the longsword thread.

The fragment of the story I'm referring to has Raskolnikov use his old shirt (AFAIR) to make a loop and hang an axe in it.

So, why not have clothes / sheets / sheet rope be craftable into a "makeshift scabbard" of sorts ? Equip it, hang a weapon and have it ready to be drawn in an instant. I would see this linked with a hotkey to make you drop whatever else you had in your hands onto the ground and equip the "holstered" weapon.

What do you think about it ?

I love it, they did the same thing in the last of us, melee weapon in one side of the backpack, and two ranged weapons on the other, so that he could quick switch instead of taking them from his backpack.

Maybe you could take two ''scabards'' at the same time? so you could have a melee weapon in one, and a ranged one in another, When clearing out a horde, you might want to quickly switch to your axe so that you won't waste your bullets on the few remaining zombies.

I'm into this too, makeshift gear should be much more common in a apocalypse ;)

One can come up with a myriad uses for old clothes - i.e. you can even carry water in them short distances if the piece is made of sufficiently thick / soak-resistant resistant material. Holders could be just the start for a whole new set of "desperate times" recipes.

I'm into this too, makeshift gear should be much more common in a apocalypse ;)

One can come up with a myriad uses for old clothes - i.e. you can even carry water in them short distances if the piece is made of sufficiently thick / soak-resistant resistant material. Holders could be just the start for a whole new set of "desperate times" recipes.

I think it would be too heavy and inneficient, I already have 50 bottles I can use.

I think it would be too heavy and inneficient, I already have 50 bottles I can use.

When surviving in an urban zone, sure, but what about woodland survival ? Just an example, really, what can be done with the stuff on your back + a little ingenuity.

If I may, let's reverse the question - what use would you see for clothing (apart from the obvious and what I've already said, of course) ?

When surviving in an urban zone, sure, but what about woodland survival ? Just an example, really, what can be done with the stuff on your back + a little ingenuity.

If I may, let's reverse the question - what use would you see for clothing (apart from the obvious and what I've already said, of course) ?

I actually can't think of anything other than zipline, I've been playing too much FC3

Pretty much reminds of following mechanisms:

1) Near instant switching of items already held in main and offhand assignable to a separate button.

2) Redesignating weapon buttons from weapon class to manually assigned numbers, resulting in ability to switch to and from any weapons in inventory including any number of holster designs that might come available later.

3) Inclusion of such things as toolbelts, forward hanging smaller backpacks and multipurpose soldier and builder vests containing several weapon holsters, also decreasing the weight of attached items slightly.

4) Switching between different functions of a single item via assignable hotkeys. (Bayonets, gun stock melee, or just different modes of attack with the same item)

By revamping the item interaction system partly and making weapon holsters only a part of the system, attachable to wearable items (including backpacks with external slots) and implementing weapon swap time as a sum of interaction times for both holsters, the game engine could be prepared to a vast number of future gear implementations.

Don't forget about the backpack-style bag you can make from a sheet/tarp, two reasonably sized rocks, and a short length of rope. I -can't- seem to find it on Google, but it's simple enough to make. Fold a sheet in half, corner to corner. Tie a knot near one of the valley corners, stuff the rock in, then tie a knot after it. Do the same on the other end. Put your stuff in the sheet, roll it up, tie a piece of rope around the middle for good measure to make sure crap doesn't fall out. Then just tie the rope around the rock-in-sheet on each corner, through it over your back like a satchel and you're done.

Hell, if you were clever enough with the way you looped the rope up and folded the tarp, you could even use the same material as a tent/hoochie when you get to a spot and decide to set up camp. Just use a longer rope and a larger sheet with some creative looping and folding.