Hiding Places

Strang

How about being able to hide in certain places such as , in dumpsters , under beds, in some cabinets , in showers, and in closets . This would allow you to hide from players and eventually npcs, either to wait for them to turn their back and get the jump on them or wait till they leave. Being in these places should effect panic levels, the longer you are in there the more panicked you get , and if someone is close by while you are hiding you should become extremely panicked, and begin to make some noise. If you pick the overweight trait you may not be able to fit in some tighter places, while picking athletic should allow you to get into smaller spots. Also if you pick the clostropgobic trait, you should become panicked quicker. Players should get the option to check hiding place to see if anyone is there.

i +1 this. could be fun. like OP said hiding in like a trash can or closet waiting for someone to leave/come by.

and if your in a wardrobe and they goto loot it you show up in the loot menu and it shows you have been found or something xD

Hiding should be implemented if there will be some sort of ai mechanism forcing zombies into a bit more wandering around, thus giving players more coherent windows of opportunity to escape. This mechanism would require a bit of balancing in smell mechanics and a separate feature of alternating between max hide min vision and some vision with less hiding (i.e. looking out) with a chance to make noise when switching conditions. So a large garbage container could mask your smell well but would have a tiny chance to scratch you, have problematic vision and a chance to make noise when you switch hiding stances, while a derelict car or a toilet cabin would give you better vision and provide less noise, but mask you far less.

And if someone blows your cover? I mean, if a player looks in the dumpster or closet where you're hiding. Means we should also be able to shoot player while they're inside, or hit them after opening the dumpster or closet doors... Also, instead of showing up in loot menu, there should be a sprite for player being inside one of those things. BTW, I'd also implement a possibility to fight back while hiding, just imagine: you're looting someone's house, open a closet, and then - BAM, someone jumps out at ya with a knife! Or a rolling pin... Or a spoon :P

I like it and it would be nice in game. But you know what happens in all the zombie movies to the guy who hides in a dumpster or a closet and lets the zeds go by. He slowly looks up and thinks it clear till the one zed he missed grabs him from behind and then the horder comes back and finish them off. Oh zombie movies how I love them. ;)