More Zombie Variants

Deadend

fat zombie, athletic build zombie, meat-head zombie, ,skinny zombie, and no legs crawler zombie.

Each having its shortcomings and advantages:

(in the following descriptions when I say regular zombies I'm referring to the current regular zombies from 'Survival Mode').

- The fat zombie is slower but its footsteps are louder/clumsier (attracting nearby zeds possibly), its attacks do more damage than regular zombies (so its better to keep your distance). It can also take more damage than regular zombies.

- The athletic build zombie is faster than regular zombies, slightly stronger and tougher than regular zeds but not more than the fat one.

The meat-head zombie is as fast as a regular zombie. stronger than the fat zombie. And tougher than the fat zombie.

- The Skinny zombie pretty much a regular zombie just weaker and more fragile.

- no legs crawler zombie, could be the reason they're crawling in the first place (maybe its legs were blown off or it was a handicap before turning), they're stationary so could be placed where you least expect it or on the side of roads...etc.

I think such zombie variants are reasonable considering nothing of what I've suggested dwells into the realm of superhuman zombies. There is fat, athletic, overly muscular, and skinny people all over the world.

Such variants not only would add more immersion into the game but much needed difficulty.

- fat zombie - it should be slower, but I dont see how it would do more damage than other zombies, OR how it would be more resilient, its just a bash in the brain.

- Athletic Zombie - There are already sprinter zombies in the game, they just dnt domore damage.

- Meat head zombie - Basically the athletic zombie, a meat head would work out just as much as athletic zombie, no?

- Skinny Zombie - Pretty ok with this.

- No-Legs - What's the diference beetween this and a normal crawler? just the fact that he has no legs? meh.

Zombies aren't really as tough to beat as movies show, it's way dramatized (is that a word?), I think the real dificulty should come with hordes, not diferent types of zombies, I think the changes should be purely cosmetic, and just change the appearance, but that's just my opinion.

- fat zombie - it should be slower, but I dont see how it would do more damage than other zombies, OR how it would be more resilient, its just a bash in the brain.

- Athletic Zombie - There are already sprinter zombies in the game, they just dnt domore damage.

- Meat head zombie - Basically the athletic zombie, a meat head would work out just as much as athletic zombie, no?

- Skinny Zombie - Pretty ok with this.

- No-Legs - What's the diference beetween this and a normal crawler? just the fact that he has no legs? meh.

Zombies aren't really as tough to beat as movies show, it's way dramatized (is that a word?), I think the real dificulty should come with hordes, not diferent types of zombies, I think the changes should be purely cosmetic, and just change the appearance, but that's just my opinion.

In general a fat zombie (and I mean obese zombies) tend to be wider and an easy hit to the head wont come easy unless you're shooting at it.  Also, in general Fat people tend to be pretty strong. All that extra mass in their arms, besides the fact they're crazed and swinging around.

There are sprinters in game but you have to actually go in sandbox mode and enable sprinters. And then every zombie is a sprinter. Completely far-off from what I'm suggesting.

Athletic people tend to have a larger need for stamina, being quick on their feet. Meat-heads on the other hand are just putting pure muscle on for show. Where you think the term chicken legs come from?

Its not being about dramatization or how tough they made to be in movies. Is the fact that currently in-game every zombie looks like it came from a perfect human civilization were everyone was just "average", no one was obese/overweight, no one hit the gym everyday of the week, no one was born handicapped, no one was an anorexic.

Difficulty in zombies only make hordes more difficulty to handle.

Replace skinny with drug addict and I will be fine with this, even though they stated they would not add any type of special infected.

Like I said, I don't think being fat, strong, or faster makes anybody special. It just says who they were before they turned. And clearly there is an advantage for some zombie virus to be in the body of a person that used to be a total meat-head in comparison to say the drug addict.

I dont see how a athletic zombie would be faster than a skinny zombie. They are both rotten walking corpses with the same mind.

eventually, they would be the same "rotten walking corpses", but not initially. Unless this zombie virus turns its host into a rotten walking corpse as soon as it turns the host.

I would like to see varying body shapes in general both for survivors and zombies, if only for a cosmetic change- overweight perk means you character is obese/overweight, strong is more muscular, stout is larger in general, fragile would perhaps be skinny.

I'd like to see this to give better immersion. As for the stat changes or anything else... not sure.

They're not going to have 'Special Infected', and other shapes/sizes of characters are difficult due to engine limitations. They may yet get some working, but not for a while.

When I think of '''''special infected'''' or ''''superhuman zombies'''' I think of the zeds/vamps from I Am Legend, Resident Evil, and Left 4 Dead. What I'm suggesting is far off from that. None of the variants I'm suggesting would be tougher, stronger, and smarter than a healthy, uninfected human (survivor).

So I guess we just have different views of what a 'special infected' or 'superhuman zombie' is. I guess you're the type that sees the buffed up guys at the gym as being 'special' and 'superhuman'. I guess the obese guy at McDonalds is also as 'special' and 'superhuman'.

p.s: it would be nice to see this at least even if its purely cosmetic. Even if its in the distant future.

Similar topic was already discussed with some different idears:

http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/9827-zombies-having-traits/

What I am missing in the variations/traits discussions, is the age of a zombie. I'd like to see some more rotten and brittle zombies and some more eh... "vital" stronger ones. The difference should be more in their phisical resistance, not in speed or strength. They just break faster if your clubbing them.

You are absolutely right -snip-, the real danger from zombies comes from their overwhelming numbers in hordes. What do you do when you can't possibly fight them all?!?!

However, if all the zombies in a horde were the same, it would be much easier to predict what that horde was going to do. Thus, easier to avoid or defeat. If there were a variety of zombies in that horde, it would be more difficult to predict what that horde was going to do. That would make the horde even more dangerous! Blind zombies that weren't attracted to light, deaf zombies that couldn't hear gunshots! A fat blind zombie that keeps making a racket as it flounders around, attracting other nearby zombies.

I am completely 100% against 'Special Zombies' like in L4D, but having zombies with different physical statures is not 'special' it should be considered 'normal and realistic'.

A zombie virus is going to be stuck using the body it infects. That zombified body will be limited to what that body could previously do. The difference is that the zombie can ignore pain (assuming) and can physically push past the 'wall'. However, when the body is pushed too far it breaks. Muscles tear, tendons snap, bones break, etc. Zombies being dead, won't heal. Eventually the physical abilities of that corpse will drop.

It could be argued that perhaps the zombie virus prevents bacteria from setting in on the dead corpse. But, assuming that it doesn't; The corpse would begin to decompose on day 1 and would degrade and rot over time (effected by temperature, moisture, etc). A rotting corpse would also have differences in its physical abilities. An arm that has lost 1/2 of it's muscle mass to decomposition, can not produce the same amount of force as it did previously.

I am all for a wide variety of zombie physical abilities/disabilities as long as they fall in line with realistic human abilities/disabilities. I am not for zombies that are stronger, can jump higher, run faster, spit goo and toxic fumes, or have frog like tongues.

They've thought of and would like aged/more variety in the zombie looks, but again, engine limitations are restrictive. Not a won't happen, but not for a long while.

This game is already pushing the envelope on how cool it can be, I don't think anything can handle anything else. :L

I love the idea of fat zombies, skinny zombies, old zombies (think brittle bones etc), tall zombies etc. The Walking Dead lore ftw.

The "special infected" that the dev team has specified must be the types that has super powers (that's what sucks about State of Decay) and frankly imho, has nothing to do with a zombie game that want's it to be "realistic".

Not necessary IMO since there's already some variety and any given bite or scratch can end your game.  It's dangerous enough + all the survival elements outside of zombies.

I'd rather see something like this as a lower priority even if it isn't a terrible idea.