Spiffo's Zomboid Server Service Center

nightmare

1. go to "/etc/apt" then open "sources.list" and add " deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian testing main "

2. type: apt-get update

3. type: apt-get -t testing install libc6-i686 libc6 libc6-dev libc6-dbg linux-libc-dev gcc locales

4. remove 1.)  and type: apt-get update

5. start server

E: Dynamic MMap ran out of room. Please increase the size of APT::Cache-Start. Current value: 25165824. (man 5 apt.conf)

Reading package lists... Error!

I tried adding "APT::Cache-Limit "100000000";" to /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/70debconf and /etc/apt/apt.conf, and commented out the cdrom:// in sources.list but Im guessing using 32bit is limiting that value no matter what I do?

lol what did you do :blink: ??  :)

1. make a reboot -> type: reboot or shutdown -r now

2.  type:  apt-get clean && apt-get update --fix-missing

please type and post the result:

cat /proc/cpuinfo

processor : 0

vendor_id : GenuineIntel

cpu family : 6

model : 60

model name : Intel® Xeon® CPU E3-1245 v3 @ 3.40GHz

stepping : 3

processor : 1

processor : 2

processor : 3

processor : 4

processor : 5

processor : 6

processor : 7

flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 b19 b21 mmxext mmx fxsr xmm sse2 b27 b28 b29 3dnow

cpu MHz : 3392.22

bogomips : 3392.22

cat /proc/meminfo

total:    used: free:  shared: buffers: cached:

Mem:  17059295232 507318272 16551976960 36196352 0 0

Swap: 17179869184 0 17179869184

MemTotal:  16659468 kB

MemFree:   16164040 kB

MemShared:    35348 kB

Buffers:          0 kB

Cached:           0 kB

SwapTotal: 16777216 kB

SwapFree:  16777216 kB

lol what did you do :blink: ??  :)

1. make a reboot -> type: reboot or shutdown -r now

2.  type:  apt-get clean && apt-get update --fix-missing

lol. I have no idea. I can't event get it to shutdown! Told you I am terrible with linux xD

The system is going down for reboot NOW!id (pts/0) (Fri Sep 19 15:57:05 2014)

shutdown: timeout opening/writing control channel /run/initctl

init: timeout opening/writing control channel /run/initctl

And I still get 

E: Dynamic MMap ran out of room. Please increase the size of APT::Cache-Start. Current value: 25165824. (man 5 apt.conf)

Reading package lists... Error!

E: Error occurred while processing kde-l10n-lv (NewVersion2)

E: Problem with MergeList /var/lib/apt/lists/ftp.debian.org_debian_dists_testing_main_binary-i386_Packages

E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.

I'm beginning to think I just wasn't meant for hosting my own server :(

• 4 weeks later...

I tested this script for a while now and it´s pretty awesome! I´ve one big gripe though: When updating it deletes all the settings made. Is it somehow possible to maintain the settings? Especially the whole Zomboid-Folder.

sure.

when you select update, the script will make a backup of the "Zomboid-Folder" before updating.

(backup should be archived as "Zomboid_{date}.tar.gz" to the root dir of pz-server)

Honestly it´s pretty much only the whitelist that´s bothering me after an update. Sure, it´s no biggy but I thought it doesn´t hurt asking you.

i think you should report this if you have troubles with the Whitelist after an update. Maybe a bug?

Sorry, try to be more clear now.

Whenever I use your service-center and update with it it creates a backup, than deletes everything PZ related, so even the whole Zomboid-folder get´s deleted everytime I update. The whitelist is apparently located within the Zomboid-folder and therefore get´s "deleted".

I could have course alter the line 645 to not delete the whole Zomboid folder, but whenever you update your script I would have to alter it again. I therefore asked if you could change it. Or is there a special reason why you delete the whole folder?

As I already said, it´s not a biggy, I can still get the needed files from the backup. Just wanted to throw this thought at you.

Sorry, try to be more clear now.

Whenever I use your service-center and update with it it creates a backup, than deletes everything PZ related, so even the whole Zomboid-folder get´s deleted everytime I update. The whitelist is apparently located within the Zomboid-folder and therefore get´s "deleted".

I could have course alter the line 645 to not delete the whole Zomboid folder, but whenever you update your script I would have to alter it again. I therefore asked if you could change it. Or is there a special reason why you delete the whole folder?

As I already said, it´s not a biggy, I can still get the needed files from the backup. Just wanted to throw this thought at you.

ah... okay now i know!

yes, you can remove line 645 ( bug,  this was not planned,  only when exec the Script from PZ-Server directory)

• 2 months later...

Just wanted to update that if you have a certain special character in your Steam password, the script will fail.

Also, if the machine doesn't have enough RAM to satisfy the default allocation of 4gb in projectzomboid-dedi-server.sh, the script will still report that the server is starting even though it never actually does.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I finally got it up and running to the point where pretty light blue text pops up and says "WORDS" like running and CPU percentage etc, but I can't connect to the game. Ports are forwarded... It's running on a Debian 8 VM...

Why does technology hate me?

Alright! Finally got it so I could connect and do stuff, yay bridged mode. Now, how do I change settings on the zombie world? Change start time, change zombie stuffs, loot spawns? How do I input commands/log in as admin through the game?

• Kirrus unpinned this topic