Ways to see at night

Strang

As far as I know, flashlights and candles are currently the only ways to see in the dark. Road flares would be common and they provide a good light to see at night, but they make a sound when lit and sizzle until they burn out. Also snap glow sticks would be very common, they would not be as bright as the flares, but they burn longer and they make no sound. You may be able to tie the glow sticks to yourself and have a primary equipped while using it

They give really bad light and they ruin the only proper way to see in the dark, night sight. When we went on patrols and such, we never used light and the only time we used light was under a coat using a red filter so we did not ruin the night sight. We even trained our night sight, so in the end, we did not need light for reading. Whats fun about that during the civvie life now, is when people find me reading or doing something in the dark they always comment "you must have night vision built in your eyes".

I do see a purpose for the flares, as they would be great for distracting zombies.

But you aren't everyone. If you allowed only professional level behaviour in the game then what fun would it be? I am in favour of this suggestion. Especially glowsticks. You even get small ones for fishing that could be useful for marking 'the way back' in the darkness.

But you aren't everyone. If you allowed only professional level behaviour in the game then what fun would it be? I am in favour of this suggestion. Especially glowsticks. You even get small ones for fishing that could be useful for marking 'the way back' in the darkness.

I would hardly call it "professional level"  and more "naturally adapted through use"

If the power was out and every light source you know was gone save for the sun and moon...you would find that your eyes are very effective at seeing in the dark.

Atm during any visit to the country I'm using an eternal flashlight - consists of a capacitor and a small dynamo activated via either shaking a bit or squeezing periodically. It gives quite enough light to see stuff.

Aside from it there could be a 19-20 century fuel based lantern with reflectors. They used to make it, we can craft it by taking reflectors from either extra flashlight or any dead car once they are around.

Option 3 - propane and petrol fuelled electricity + all that follows.

For those of you more or less opposing this suggestion because flare light or glow light is bad and your "night vision" is better. Keep in mind this is a game, not a simulator. No matter how hard you squint your eyes or if you turn off the lights in your room. Your ability to see things on the screen wont look/be any clearer/better. Especially at midnight.

Mimic night sight should not be that difficult in game regarding programming. As long as you keep to the dark it gets lighter eventually, but if you're say, closer than 25meters from an light source, it gets ruined.

Even simpler than that, you can incorporate basic 'night-vision-esque-ness' into the shaders, making it a purely graphical thing and able to handle any ol' scene that's thrown at it.

Not a big fan of this, even with shaders on (problematical hardware makes this darker than intended in some cases), it's possible to navigate the world and defend yourself, though that'll be up to your own vision (night blind myself) and your monitor.

If you had a flare you could throw it and place it somewhere you want to have a closer look at. This might be helpful to spot something in the night that is too far away to be seen with your precious night vision. Beyond that: Night is supposed to be dark. Flashlights are great. Use them.

Not a big fan of this, even with shaders on (problematical hardware makes this darker than intended in some cases), it's possible to navigate the world and defend yourself, though that'll be up to your own vision (night blind myself) and your monitor.

Isnt that why most games have that 'adjust untill so and so image is not visiable' when you first start playing them?

As far as I know, flashlights and candles are currently the only ways to see in the dark. Road flares would be common and they provide a good light to see at night, but they make a sound when lit and sizzle until they burn out. Also snap glow sticks would be very common, they would not be as bright as the flares, but they burn longer and they make no sound. You may be able to tie the glow sticks to yourself and have a primary equipped while using it

Dunno how common either of these would be.  How many private citizens have either commonly?  Not many, I'd wager.

I would like to see more light sources, particularly in MP where there's currently no sleeping and there aren't many options for lighting your base (flashlight on a pole).  Maybe the need will diminish if MP ever has sleeping (although right now for us doing 2 player co-op, if we weren't going 24 hours a day we'd be even more screwed than we already are with the power never lasting very long).

Dunno how common either of these would be.  How many private citizens have either commonly?  Not many, I'd wager.

I would like to see more light sources, particularly in MP where there's currently no sleeping and there aren't many options for lighting your base (flashlight on a pole).  Maybe the need will diminish if MP ever has sleeping (although right now for us doing 2 player co-op, if we weren't going 24 hours a day we'd be even more screwed than we already are with the power never lasting very long).

http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng.do?ic=16_0&Find=Find&search_query=flares&Find=Find&search_constraint=0

you can buy road flares at Walmart. that should give you a better idea how many Private Citizens could have some.

glow sticks can easily be found in a walmart, convenience store, sporting good store, grocery store.................

Why are people so opposed to adding things they personally won't use? Do you get flares? Yes, do you get glowsticks? Yes. What harm is there in adding such things to the game? There is already code for light sources, both directional and otherwise. And light itself could have uses beyone just illuminating things (As Rausheim also states), the way I see it is that zombies would congregate at them, so if I throw a flare they would go to it and give me a temporary distraction that is plainly visible to me when it stops functioning. Flares and glowsticks could also be used to mark things, to signal people or to leave a trail.

Your own personal preferences to what you as person would use is irrelevant when others would make use of them. Such as towels and sheets, I never sheet anything nor do I ever dry my character, does this constitute a reason to remove such items when they have a clear use?

Arguing night blindness and adaptation is moot (unfortunately) since it is not simulated at all, you can walk around with a lit lighter and still see perfectly well in the distant dark. Arguing the luminosity of the screen also again is moot since that is outside the realm of the game and hardly a 'solution', when I am on a RP server I don't want to tell my buddies: "Oh just make your monitor more bright."

Adding more variety to light sources is what this thread is about, lamps, torches, glowsticks, etc. etc. And I am totally in favour of more variety being added. And possible secondary functions to them like luring zombies temporarily. And there is code in fireplaces to lure zombies based on light level and fire intensity, so it makes sense for other light sources to do the same. Expanding on player tactics and things to do in the game.

Also when sufficient light sources are added the nights could indeed become darker still, like darkwood uses darkness for horror, I feel PZ could benefit from a similar treatment. But more reliant on the moon (which appears to be simulated alread) and weather (which also is already simulated).