"Everything Has An End & A New Beginning." A The Undertaking: Origins Survivor Story

Revixy

A The Undertaking: Origins Survivor Story.

Everything Has An End & A New Beginning.

I remember when I first heard about the outbreak.
It seemed almost like a pipe dream to me, like something I've always wanted to happen finally did, so my empty life could finally mean something. But when the horrors were at my doorstep, It felt very differently.
I've never abandoned people before so quickly.
But I guess I can thank my family and whoever else who've come along that has previously disappointed me in life, to make me able to make those life saving decisions so quickly.

Luckily my parents had died years earlier before the outbreak started so I had no fear of ever seeing their walking corpses along the many vehicles stuck in traffic. And as far as I knew the dead didn't rise from their graves.
But the thought that they might, always kept me away from graveyards, as silly as that thought really was.

When the outbreak hit, I remember people in my apartment block started to hide underground in the basements.
I was one of them, as I drove people there who were too afraid of acting on their own.
The rest above shortly fell to the corpses.
Some people hid on the 6th floor in their flats, we communicated through radio, as all power in the cities quickly died.
All resources was likely rerouted to some kind of emergency location the military was using, or so we were guessing, as that would make the much sense to us.
Shortly after, everything outside was nothing but moaning.

People in my basement started to panic as food was running low. We weren't many, as I intended it to be.
A smaller group has a bigger chance of survival after all, but light wasn't exactly what we were getting either.
But at least we were safe down here, as long as nobody tried to break in or out for that matter.

A thing I never thought about was that the doors to the basement were usually unlocked by the press of a button that required power. We all had forgot that in the haste of surviving the corpses on the surface.
When we figured out that we were literally trapped underground unless we broke into the washing room which was locked as well, we wouldn't be able to get out.

They all looked at me, as the last resort and held me responsible for every action I was doing.
The pressure wasn't ideal as my epilepsy could become an issue if they kept that up.
So I did what I had to, I asked every male in the group to help me with the door, so we could  get out and get supplies back to the group.

At first we had issues with the door, but eventually we got the door open when someone found a crowbar in one of the old storage rooms used to store equipment away, which we've been using as rooms to sleep in.

Two groups were suppose to leave while a couple stayed behind, to make sure the door was secure.
Me and another guy left, while another group was formed as we broke into the washing room and got the windows opened at the top. It was still dark outside at the time. To our surprise the whole area was more or less deserted when we surfaced. However when me and my scavenge partner approached the nearest supermarket though, we quickly found out why that was the case.

A cluster of the dead was covering every entrance and someone inside was crying, very loudly.
While we were hidden observing the situation and trying to figure out what to do, even more started to appear in the distance. I could see my partner was starting to panic, so I tried to calm him down. He wasn't very old, maybe nineteen.
I wasn't so happy having him as my traveling partner seeing this, but he was the oldest in the group capable.
And the few females in the group wasn't going to make it out here.

I made a drastic decision and circled around the market to see if I could get a visual on whomever were stock inside.
To my surprise I could see light inside. My partner however, froze in place, as one of the dead seemed to have seen him in the dark as he tried to follow me.

I had tried to avoid this, but I guess situations like this is just unavoidable.
At the left side of my corner the other group arrived behind a wall.
We weren't exactly armed, so we couldn't do anything, guns weren't exactly legal in this country so none of us have ever had the experience of ever using one, even if we were to find a dead officer or something. But that was just what was going through my head as I saw this young man just stare at this corpse moaning and scrambling in his direction.
Then the crowbar from earlier struck my mind, did anyone bring it or was it left behind?
Why didn't anyone bring it? Why didn't I bring it?

The light inside suddenly moved and a face I've seen before appeared from behind a shelf.
My heart literally skipped a beat.
It was my ex-girlfriend that had around twelve years ago, betrayed and abandoned me for the pleasure of other men, including with my former best friend. Which I've since then always wanted dead. But never really wanted to commit the crime to do so. But now, maybe now. I really could and when everything goes back to normal. No one would ever know.

While I was in my deep thoughts, I was brought back to reality when I heard the kid who was still frozen in place scream up.
The corpse had grabbed him and he was struggling trying to get free. He tripped and the other group behind the wall had moved up closer, still starring. I think the same things were going through their heads as it was with mine.
But they weren't exactly any less afraid as he was. In fact I believe they were more afraid of doing anything that I would be. But for the sake of not drawing any more attention I didn't intervene, even though he was starting to shout out my name hoping I would come to his aid.

My ex, reacted on this and saw him outside. She then tried to spot anyone else and by pure luck saw me hiding in the corner watching him fight for his life. I stared at her and she stared back at me.
I wasn't sure what she was feeling but I frankly didn't care.

But for some reason I got up and walking over the road towards the struggling kid who've yet to get bitten.
I grabbed the corpse and pulled it off him as more of them were nearly on top of us.
I turned the corpse towards the on coming horde and threw it into them.

I quickly grabbed the kid and got him up and started running.
I didn't look back.
My ex, was dead to me. No need to see her die again, only to have to end her somewhere up the road.
Which I at the time, I was sure I would eventually have to do, if I stock around.

I heard her screaming out my name in the distance, not a single flicker of emotion made me want to turn around.  

When we reached the windows to the basement, everyone inside was torn apart.
The dead had managed to get inside somehow through the windows.
Seeing this, my thoughts went to the other group which I lost sight of.

I gave the kid an option, either follow me or be left behind.
the newly awoken corpses inside was scratching at the walls to the window frame that we stood at, that they luckily couldn't reach as the kid made his decision.
He clearly doubted me, since I didn't help him right away and I was sure he knew I knew the woman in the store as well so that fact did not make his decision work in my favor.
He told me he wanted to stay behind.
I didn't argue with him, so I left him without a second thought.
Hopefully the rest of the group would pick him up, if not. So be it.

----------------
Chapter - #1 - "Getting Out."
----------------

Two weeks had passed, I managed to get to the local airport through the subway station I never imagined I would live like a rat but that's what I literally did down there. When I finally emerged from the dark long tunnel and saw the condition of the airport I was somewhat relieved.

There was actually power here and people were living here still.
I remember when I first appeared I was approached by armed soldiers that for a second thought I was a dead corpse until I actually told them not to shoot as I hid in a ditch. I thought they were scavengers trying to get whatever they could from people but oddly enough, no one I've encountered was. During the travels I've seen people die on the streets and even turn. But never a single bandit.
It's not always black and white as you see in the movies I guess and that somehow gave me hope.

When I was brought up from the hole and given proper food and introductions people welcomed me, as they noticed I wasn't exactly here to try and harm them.

Apart from having a nice rest and not having to worry too much about the undead outside I started to gain new friends.
Which was very refreshing. But one day one of the military guys were going around asking for people to join up and train us properly to defend ourselves, in case the scenario were to come.

"The government may not exist anymore", he said, "but we're still trying to keep order here.
We've been in radio contact with Fort Lenning, an american settlement that is doing exactly what we're doing. Trying to stay alive." 
As he said those words, It struck me. Of course. We're not the only country in the world that could possibly be infected with whatever this is. How could we?

He kept on explaining procedures and eventually I was provided an actual weapon to use in case of an emergency.
As far as I know nothing ever happened to the airport. But I was put on a plane with a group of many other people when we were told we lost contact with the fort.
I had no idea why we were ever going to go there to confirm their demise but somehow I didn't feel like staying behind and do nothing either. So I accepted and left on the plane.
This country hadn't done much for me anyway, and all I remember here is nothing but sorrow.
I'd rather leave and try and do something good elsewhere, than possibly stay and die in my own personal shit hole of hell.

Was that decision a bad thing? I don't know. All I remember was that somehow someone died on the plane while we were in flight somewhere over the US, probably stress or fright, the pressure getting to him, whatever it was, he was indeed infected. All of us was already equipped with a parachutes at the time, as we were approaching the fort. When the infected person grabbed a guy next to me, I remember getting up and pushing myself to the back of the plane, as blood started to burst into the air inside the C-130 Hercules.

People started to shout to open the doors, I turned and saw the hatch in the back open and the pressure made the plane drop towards the ground like a stone. I fell out of the plane and lost sight of the rest of the crew as I was tossed around in the air.

The last thing I remember was waking up in a tree with my parachute deployed. 
The plane however was no where to be seen.
I was alone. Again.

My only chance was to try and find Fort Lenning now and regroup with the others there, if anyone survived.
"I go by the name Revixy. If anyone is out there and if you can hear this, please respond on this frequency."

To Be Continued..

In the mean time check this following post for more information about the sever here:
http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/10158-the-undertaking-origins-rpstorydriveneventsfactionswhitelistus-east/

------
Chapter #2 - "The Aftermath."
------

"I go by the name Revixy. If anyone is out there and if you can hear this, please respond on this frequency."
I let go of the speaker button and waited a brief moment, before I looked up at the countless dead attempting to scratch their way through to me with their decayed hands through a small crack in the sealing, in the bunker I was now stuck in.
Their moans were getting loader by the second and the door behind me, was luckily sealed shut in case they somehow made in through the main door also sealed off by a locker.
The stench of piss and rotten guts didn't help the situation, but what could I do?

A male corpse was laying against the far end wall, his mouth was wide open and his brains were all over the place.
​Most noticeable was the mushrooms that were now growing from it. He's likely been here for a quite a while.
It's hard to tell, but my assumption was that he most have shot himself and someone else would've had to come along and taken his gun since when I came here, there has been no sign of it anywhere.

But I swear, sometimes when I look at him it feels like he's staring at me, even though his eyes are literally gone.
Was I loosing it?

------
Chapter #1.5 - "Fallen Angel."
------

I awoke hanging from a tree, the parachute was deployed.
"What the hell, what happened?" then it hit me, I had fallen out of the plane, but why is my memory so fussy and why couldn't I remember pulling the chute?
I carefully got rid of the bag leaving the chute in the tree. I grabbed a branch and crawled down the tree carefully.
"Shit, I can't believe I survived that." I said and laughed at myself as a smile crept across my face happy that I was still here. When I got down I chose a direction as I didn't know in which direction to go in the first place.
I walked for quite a while and while I walked my thoughts went to the people I left behind far before I even encountered the survivors and the military that got me here in the first place. I wondered if they were still alive, or if they've lost their lives.
As I pondered on this, I realized just how empty the roads were. Not a single car in sight nor any animals or the like.

The sun had started to set and I finally I could see buildings in the distance. As I approached what looked like what use to be a civilization I sighed in relief. Not because I was finally somewhere I could familiarize myself with, but I didn't want to be stuck in the wild any more than I had to.
It was small city it looked like a city from back home, no tall structures or anything like that, just normal houses and apartment buildings.

As I entered the city I could hear the moans that was way too familiar, I looked for an entrance to an apartment quickly, before any of them saw me the first door I grabbed was surprisingly open. I got inside quietly.
As the door closed behind me I stood completely still trying to hear if anyone or anything was moving around the corner of the stairs where I couldn't see. There was a slight noise of a broken lamp which had been pooled from the wall swinging in the open, but other than that I couldn't hear anything. As earlier there were no real power here either, so I had to find somewhere to be safe, quickly before it gets too dark for me to see.
To be sure I was alone I tabbed a mailbox briefly but not a single soul ever showed, nor any dead for that matter.
As I walked up the stairs slowly I instinctively tried to grab the first doorknob to make sure it was lucked. It was. 
I then moved to the next, and kept proceeding up the stairs repeating that pattern until I got to the top floor.
I reached for the last door hoping that it was somehow unlocked, but it wasn't.
As I stepped away from the door to go open the previous one force, the door behind me was opened and a girl peeked at me, shaking. I turned and was just about to reply when a man quickly appeared behind her, staring at me as if he was ready to strike me down. I noticed his eyes look at something, which made me realized that I was still carrying the gun I got from earlier before the plane departure. He then looked back up at me.

I raised my hands and hold them forward towards them to indicate I wasn't going to harm them.

The man in the door pushed the girl back inside, and stood in the door opening. He looked at my gun again, stepped forward and grabbed it out of my holster that I had been given to make sure I didn't drop it by accident. He then pointed it at me, as he seemed sure that the gun would be loaded.
He waved the gun to make me turn around, I did and he searched me with his left hand.
"Look I'm not here to hurt you or your kid." I then said with a low voice.
"Keep looking forward." he said when I tried to turn my head as I couldn't see his face properly.
You gotta be kidding me, was my thoughts as he kept stripping me for possible dangers.

After a little while, he finally lowered my gun and let me inside.
"What's your name?" He asked as I stepped inside.
I really wanted to tell them my real name, but I didn't feel like getting too attached to anyone so I told him my alias.
He wouldn't possibly know the difference regardless.
"Revixy." I said. "Is that your real name?" The kid then asked.
I looked at the maybe twelve year'd old kid. "No, it's more like a call sign. Like... A superhero's name." I then said trying to be as friendly towards the kid as possible without scaring her too badly.
The man stared at me for a moment and sat down in the couch.
It took a brief moment for the kid to realize what I had said, then she giggled a bit.
"There's no superhero's" she then said. "I know." I replied with a smile.
"You know your way around children, do you have kids?" the man asked.
"No." I replied. "I use to work looking out for kids. It's a long time ago though." He lifted his left eye brow and kept silent.
I wasn't sure what he was thinking, but it was likely the idea that most of them are likely walking corpses by now that kept him from saying anything else.

After a little while he finally started to open up a little and introduced himself and his apparent daughter.
The man was forty and as I guessed the girl was twelve. Her name was Nadia and his name was Eric.
They had been hunkered down in this apartment since everything when south.

Eric was the former manager of the town market, so he had taken everything before anyone could get to it and store it here. For some reason no one had bothered them until now with my arrival. So they hadn't bothered to risk making noise shutting off the doors at the ground level.
But now that I was here, Eric was starting to consider it simply couldn't be safe leaving it like that anymore.

Days passed as I stayed with them, I had run for some supplies on my own to board up the door at the ground floor.
As silly as it was, it was the only entrance and exit. But some crafting allowed us to build a secure plank that made it impossible for simple scavengers or the dead for that matter to reach in or open the door from the outside as long as it was sealed.

For the first time in days I felt safe. We tried to keep it down however.
We talked about how I got here, and what I was looking for.
Eric provided me with a map of the area and drew a circle at an old military complex that was used back in World War II, to communicate with the outside world during the war. "This is likely where Fort Lenning is." He said, after I had asked if he knew about the location of the place. At first he didn't know what I was talking about as he hadn't heard about such a place, but then it dawned on him that the place might be there as it's an isolated location and that would be the most logical place to set up a survivor settlement that has the capabilities to communicate over seas.

With that in mind, I took his word for it and said my goodbyes. Eric shut the now boarded ground floor door and sealed it off. "Come back if you don't find what you're looking for." was his last words, as I stood in the sun with keys to a vehicle that stood across the street. Scrambling corpses made their way towards me as I stood there in the sun I looked at them and made it to the car, opened it and fired up the engine.
We had stocked the car with food and gas enough for me to at least make it there and back if need be.

Before we opened the doors to the outside, he asked me if I knew what had caused all this.
My answer was very straight forward. "I don't think corpses move without a reason, and it sure as hell isn't supernatural."
As I said that he looked at me and nodded and opened the door.
"Come back if you don't find what you're looking for."

I stepped on the peddle and drove down the road and out of town.

------
Chapter #1.9 - "Deadly Clues."
------

I held the map across the wheel as I drove across the continent when a figure crawled onto the side of the road.
At first glance it looked like another corpse, but when I looked closer I saw a middle aged man, around my age.

Bleeding all over the place.

He raised his arms in the air waving for help. But it quickly became apparent to me that he might not be seeking help but wanting to steal my car. I drove past him, and as I did, I heard a gun shot and the back windshield shattered.
"MotherFucker~!" I yelled out as I swayed the car from side to side, trying to make his aim worse.

I cam to a turn on the road and trees blocked the view between him and I.
I continued down the road rather shocked and got to my destination thirty minutes later without any other troubles.
I drove up a dirt road, just as Eric had described it. I backed up the car and parking at the entrance complex.
There were no around. I walked to the front of what looked like a bunker and entered.
I shut the metal gate behind me just in case.

As I proceeded inside a dim read light was lighting the place, possibly solar powered installed in newer time.
I got further in and a read metal door was half open, inside was what looked like a communication station.
I stepped in, and almost startled myself to death when I bumped into a dead corpse that was lying in the corner that I couldn't see so well until I was inside.
"What the hell?!" I said out loud. "Where is everyone?"
It quickly became apparent that this place had been abandoned a long time ago.
This was clearly not Fort Lenning. But I couldn't just drive aimlessly around hoping to find the place.
So I decided to make sure the main door was shut and sealed it with an old locker.
It was loud as fuck, and while I was moving it I kept thinking to myself. This is a stupid idea.

I dug further into the bunker and found to my surprise a laptop which was still running connected to power grid.
Whoever left it behind possibly didn't worry about it too much, but was on it surprised me.
It had information on what this outbreak was likely caused by, including theories about parasite and even nano machines.
"Seems like they'd been studying the outbreak here, but whoever made the research never finished it. Why?" There were no signs of any of those things ever having gotten in here, so why did they leave?

I looked around a bit more and found a large map hidden behind a green-board which I moved.
On it was locations of bases and operation locations. "Operation Fort Lenning... What the hell?"
As I looked at it, I could see it was at the opposite side of the country at least four days drive from here.
"Holy shit..." I took a few steps back trying to collect myself. I need to ditch that idea I have to be sure there is food in here first. As I looked around I found what I needed, there were instant rations all over the place and plenty of water stacked like no one could believe. I could literally stay here for a year if need be.
I should bring Eric here, I thought, just need to clean the place up first, Nadia is just a kid after all.
As I was standing there thinking to myself, a load scratching noise came from the communication room.
Sounded like chatter.
"Pro-- City----Purification-----Y----Understood. It will------ ne."
I quickly went to the large map and looked at Operation Fort Lenning. Accomplished. Was written as a small side note below it's location of the operation.
"No... Way, did they...?
Underneath was a radio frequency to the location.
"Bingo~!"
I went to the communication room and changed the frequency and attempted to reach out to the world outside.
As I sat there I made sure to close the door to the communication room as well.
A small crack in the sealing revealed the world outside, and moaning was approaching.

"I guess I might as well start from the beginning." I inhaled and exhaled as I began to tell my story.

To Be Continued..

In the mean time check this following post for more information about the sever here:
http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/10158-the-undertaking-origins-rpstorydriveneventsfactionswhitelistus-east/

• 2 weeks later...

------
Chapter #3 - "What Comes Around, Goes Around."
------

I awoke by the sudden silence and odd mist in the air. The moaning outside had completely vanished and I couldn't hear a sound except for what sounded like a branch hitting the front windshield of the car outside. "What the hell?" As I got up I almost tripped over a bag I've been storing things in for whenever I had to leave this place. I found it in a closet just waiting there for me, or so it felt like. I looked at the corpse as I moved into the coms-room, he was still starring at me with his missing eyes and his open gab. The stench however was somewhat subsiding in my subconscious even though I knew it was still there.

I looked at the sealing at the crack and saw the mist crawling into the bunker. It's been a while since I've seen any mist I thought to myself. As I stood there I noticed that mist was also coming from under the table. As I looked to investigate I discovered to my surprised that a vent was hidden underneath, steaming in mist from it. It was hard to see at first since there was so much mist in here already. But it was clear that there came more of it from there than from the crack in the sealing.

"I might actually be able to get out of the bunker from here, if I don't want to use the main door." I said to myself out loud, still somewhat half asleep, still haven't realized that the front were probably all cleared out by now.
I wasn't entirely sure what time it was outside, but all that mattered was that the sun was up and I didn't want to waste any of it if I were to leave this place.
I grabbed the map from the wall and what else I needed and went back into the communications room to try and loosen the vent and possible get through it if I could.

I got under the table and got the vent loose. As I pulled it off a few rats ran for their lives in the opposite direction.
To my let down the vent was way too small for me to fit.
I got out from the table and turned to see the the corpse that had been smiling and starring at me this entire time had fallen over without me seeing or hearing it do so.
It startled me at first, but then I convinced myself that it must have been a coincidence since if he was one of those things he'd been up and about before I even got here, plus his head is more or less missing due to whatever happen to him.

As he was laying there, a cloud of dust mixed with the mist and spores were covering the path to the door.
I remembered the notes the military left on the laptop. They said it could be something to do with nano-machines or parasites, but I'm sure they never ruled out the possibility that spores or any other form of blood transaction could potentially infect others if the the host it came from were infected to begin with.

With that in mind I covered my mouth with my sleeve and as I approached the cloud I turned and stepped backwards into it, while closing my eyes.
Miraculously I managed to not fall over while doing so. I bumped into the wall and went right towards the main door I had earlier covered with a locker, as I open my eyes so I could navigate again.

I got the locker moved up against the wall again and slowly opened the door, I had drawn my gun just in case.

As the door opened this thick mist covered the entire hallway and an odd wind made me cough, like it was smoke.
Outside I could barely see anything, but it was dead quiet. As I got out I closed the door behind me, in case I had to get back here at some point.
I moved across the dirt and grass and got to the wall at the front gate where the car was parked.
As I peaked I saw a person stand at it.
I was about to point my gun at him when I noticed something was off.
I couldn't see the persons face, only the individual standing there looking in what looked in my general direction.
The person wasn't moving a muscle. It was possibly the most frozen person I'd seen in my life.
As I turned quickly to check my back, to make sure that this wasn't some sort of trap, The individual had vanished by the time I looked back at the general area of the car.

Was I dehydrated and starting to see shit? I thought to myself. As I searched the area there were no signs of anyone having been near the car that wasn't walking in circles that those things do. So before anything else weird was going to happen I fired up the engine and backed out of the area. Nothing had been taken from the vehicle so no body had been here at all and as far as I could tell, the tank on the car hadn't lost any fuel either.

As I left the area the mist slowly dissolved and soon after it was no where to be seen.

I figured I'd head back towards the small town to tell Eric what I had found.
I'm sure he would be glad to know what has been going on out here, while he'd been hungered down in his apartment with his daughter.

Driving for a good while I passed what looked like a struggling corpse in the middle of the road with similar clothing of the guy that shot at me a couple of days ago. He was missing his lower half of his body and a blood trail was drying up a good long distance down the road. "Prick." I said as I smiled to myself.

As I approached the town I couldn't believe what I saw in the distance. The place was pitch black with shadows bumping into each other.
"Holy shit..." As I said those words I could only think of how it would be to be inside not being able to get out, especially for a young girl.
I backed the car a bit back over a hill and parked it out of sight on the road. "What the hell am I doing, are you fucking crazy?" I asked myself, somewhat expecting myself to try and convince myself not to go, or at least get a response, but obviously I didn't get any.

I thew my backpack in the car and left with only the gun. I left the keys in the car as I didn't want to lose them somewhere down there.
I approached the town, hoping they were still alright and that we could get out of this somehow.

To Be Continued..

------
Chapter #1.4 - "Mid-Air Madness."
------

"So, tell me... What is your real name really?" An older man asked me as we approached the Hercules on the airstrip with a couple of other people in front and behind. I hesitated to answer, as anyone knowing my name usually ends up killed or disappear for one reason or another. And I've never figured out why.
The engine fired up before I got the chance to talk, we walked up the ramp and into the plane strapping ourselves in.
"Alright kids, this is it." The planes hatch closed behind us and the plane started moving.
The guy I spoke to had a seat at the opposite side of me, starring at me until he lost interest. Probably thinking I'm some sort of shut in.
Which in all fairness I usually was, although I wasn't always like that.

As the plane took speed I noticed that most of the guys were pretty afraid of flying and possibly what was to come.
"Do any of you actually speak English?" I then asked.
I didn't really think that was an odd question but most of the people stared at me as if I was some kind of loony.
"He's just asking a question guys, take it easy." Then one says down the back that I couldn't see.
Turns out pretty much everyone on the plane did, with the exception of a female in front.
But if we were all going to be together anyway I guess it didn't matter, or so I thought.
We flew for many hours just chatting when someone next to the old man I spoke to before we got on the plane starting to feel ill.
At first it looked like he was getting sick from the flying and not being able to see out, but it quickly turned out to be something a lot worse.
As the pilots in front reported we were closing in on our destination we were equipped with parachutes that a man in charge came across and made sure we had fastened it properly. He was strapped to the sealing of the plane with a cable, so he didn't fall while doing so.
As he got back in his seat the man in front sank over his own body. The old man next to him unstrapped him from his seat to get to him better, but before we could react much he started to twitch and flew right out of his arms and sank his teeth into the guy next to me.

Blood flew everywhere and I got out of the seat as quickly as possible, someone was yelling to open the hatch and when doing so the plane dropped like a stone and soon after I was somewhere mid-air outside the plane.

I had never done a drop like this in my life so the pressure made me pass out, but for some reason my parachute was deployed and I survived.
I don't know if I did it, or if someone else did. Quite frankly I don't remember much of it.

"Thing is, I'm here. Alive, in this bunker where I am currently broadcasting from..."

------
Chapter #4 - "The Real Nature Of Man."
------

Leaving the car I went for the town. I couldn't believe the sight in front of me "This is insane, what am I doing?"
the first couple of cracking faces turn as they noticed me approaching. Moments later a crowd of them were already walking in my direction moving in their bizarre and terrifying way.
I stopped as I came to realize that perhaps they'd have issues following me into town if I lead them a bit away.
But as much as I was wishing it was that simple, I came to understand that once a larger group was in front of me, it was much much harder to get around them.

I ran all I could to my left past the oncoming horde and managed to reach a building wall as the dead was reaching out for me.
They all turned their tail and turned towards me. They stumbled over each other and some started to role down the small hill I came from. "Fuck~!" I yelled out in surprise when one of them rammed the wall I was up against. It turned its bloody face and grabbed my boot.
I kicked it as hard as I possibly could and by pure luck got free of it's grab.
My heart was pumping due to pure adrenaline.
As I turned the corner behind the building even more of them was coming my way. I lifted the gun and struck the first one in the head with the back end of the gun, not wanting to make any more noise than I had to.

It dropped to the ground and looked disorientated for a second.
Before it could get back up I was over it and broke it's neck. The feeling of it snapping in my hands made me shake.
I had never killed anything or anyone before. Not even one of these things yet. Until now.

I sat there with blood all over me, when the rest were within reach I rolled and what sounded like a whistle flew right past me and hit the ground followed by a loud bang. Every single one of the things turned their attention towards the noise as one of them sank to the ground with blood spraying solidly all over the concrete beneath it. I was so surprised that I didn't realize it was a gun shot until the second dropped as another shot was fired.

I wanted to shout out but it could be anybody, if it was Eric he's a hell of a shot.
Being out of site of the actual shooter a corpse came crashing onto me, and started biting in my general direction of my throat.
It was extremely heavy and with everything going on around me I could hardly focus. I think that due to all of the things going on, I didn't feel any fear.
I just kept struggling with it. I grabbed it's head and rolled it over and bashed it's head several times into the concrete ground until it stopped making noises or tried to eat me back.

I turned, got on my feet and found myself more or less covered in guts. I grabbed my gun that had fallen to the ground, lifted it and shot the first thing that was next to me, then the next that showed up and then another.
I repeated the process while understanding what the consequences could be, I tried not to fire too rapidly not only not miss anything coming my way, but also to preserve ammunition. 
So after having fired five bullets I left backwards and further into town as the rest of those things were more or less half running towards my location. They must have turned not so long ago I figured since they could run.

As I reached the apartment building Eric lived in, I noticed the door was half open.
The worst thoughts came through my mind. I got inside, closed it and sealed it.
As I stood at the stairs I was reminded of how it was when I first came here, I stood still just like before to see if any of those things were in here.

Just for a moment I thought that the stairs were clear but as I focused a bit I could hear what sounded like someone or something eating.
Like an animal. I walked up the stairs all the way to the top as quietly as I possibly could and ended at the door to Eric's apartment. It was closed, next door however was wide open. I readied my firearm and entered the apartment.
I cleared the hall way and looked into the kitchen, it was dark and it was hard to see anything, but the smell in here was awful.
I moved ahead and came to the living room. In the far end of room I noticed a shadow crunching over a small body eating.
I whistled as I pointed the gun and the shadow that was otherwise busy eating turned it's head and stood up like a person would.
The light from the sun lid up the face of the person revealed an older mans face covered in blood, smiling.
"Well, you look like you've seen a ghost." He then said, with a even bigger grin. He was holding a piece of meat in his hands that was dripping blood all over his shoes.
The face of the kid on the ground turned towards us hitting the ground with a heavy impact sound.
The remaining terrified face on the girl on the ground got lid up by the sun that barely reached her face. 
It took me less than a second to pull the trigger at the man, when I realized who was starring right at me with her cold dead eyes.
He fell to the ground still smiling, giggling even to himself probably to my reaction when I saw her.
"You motherfucker!" I yelled as I stepped right up to him and pulled the trigger again and again.
I didn't realize that I had run out of bullets until some moments later after the gun had started making clicking sounds.
When I finally came to my senses, I feel to my knees.
"Eric... Where the hell are you?"
Was the only thing I could say, as the lifeless face of Nadia was starring at me with drying tears having crawled from her eyes.

"What the fuck...~"

To Be Continued..

Archived