How long before your inevitable death? (version .15)

Lothar

Hi there zombie-junkies.
I would like to know how much time did you managed to survive in v.15.
And mostly HOW you decided to survive, you know better than me that there are so many ways to avoid death in PZ.

Put some screenshot and (if you have the time) tell me about your surviving skill/method.

Do you have establish your base and put all your efforts to make it your ultimate fort? Farming, barricating, cooking for long-term food, get out looting only when is necessary, etcetc..

Are you a nomad and travel around the map? Rely on wild and looted food, sleep in random places or in makeshift safe-house/tent, just surving day by day, etcetc..

Do you play like Rambo maybe?

Or anything else you do.

Edit: in SURVIVAL MODE of course!

Mine was just over a month, basically skirted around the center of town to the NW warehouse.  Raided the nearby farmhouse to the north.  Tried to raid the houses / stores to the south but was quickly getting overrun by two hordes which looked to be combining.  Fled to the western most farmhouse, and eventually succumbed to the horde that had set up camp in the houses to the north of there.

Tried farming, but with little luck ... finally got some carpentry started, but mostly boarding up windows and doors (which eventually did nothing, died alone in the house.

Next run I'll probably stay on the east side, which seems to be less horde-friendly, stock up until I have enough I have for a few rain barrels and then hoof it over to Dixie.

Waaayyyy to the North East.  Very north of the easterly big clearing with the large buildings.  If you follow the tracks northwise, and then hit a train crossing, you can head north from there.  Lots of trailer homes and a couple of big buildings - but no serious materials that I could find (like hammers, etc) or water source, but seemed like only a few zoms here and there on .15.   

I beat my personal record on my last .15 play-through so was really happy with myself especially with the new challenges. My record stood at 22 days but now it's at a more healthy;

ZttbbQ1.jpg

I would have made it much longer if I hadn't gone on a run to the medical place but I got bored and had to wander lol. My next target is to double this time and then from there try to get 6 months if I can :D

Waaayyyy to the North East. Very north of the easterly big clearing with the large buildings. If you follow the tracks northwise, and then hit a train crossing, you can head north from there. Lots of trailer homes and a couple of big buildings - but no serious materials that I could find (like hammers, etc) or water source, but seemed like only a few zoms here and there on .15.

mmmm.. interesting! maybe it's worth a trip for me also..

I beat my personal record on my last .15 play-through so was really happy with myself especially with the new challenges. My record stood at 22 days but now it's at a more healthy;

Posted Image

I would have made it much longer if I hadn't gone on a run to the medical place but I got bored and had to wander lol. My next target is to double this time and then from there try to get 6 months if I can

Yeah but what's life without "risky business"? :D

Nice job man... but 6??? sounds almost impossible to me so far!

I have survived for over a month now, not sure how long exactly.

I usually try to do the hardest / riskiest things early on, in case a zombie gets me. Then I get more cautious as I progress.

I stuff my face with fresh food as long as it's available (they rot soon and I need the energy in the beginning). I stockpile the long lasting food and some water at my base / in stashes. When fresh food is gone / rotten, I eat much more sparingly to make the rest last longer. (The hungry state is not so bad.)

When I have the essentials to build / farm, I establish a base outside of town, far enough to be peaceful for a while. When I go into town to loot, I carry a tent kit in case I can't find a safe bed to sleep in.

In my current game I've set up camp at the logging company at first, but a massive horde appeared one morning. I blasted them with the shotgun but they didn't die (bug), so I had to abandon the place. I went back a few times to get all my stuff (which was risky business, but necessary). Now I'm camped out at the farm in the east. I've built up the house a bit (screenshot here - date is incorrect), but most of my crops had vanished one day :/ Waiting for the new release to fix some of the issues.

My goals are usually like this:

- Get a good weapon

- Find 2 or more duffel / hiking bags to carry stuff

- Break into the nearest warehouse, get some axes, hammers, saws and screwdrivers (at least 1 of each)

- Loot the pharmacy for beta blockers and maybe some painkillers

- Gather supplies to make a tent kit (for loot runs and exploration)

- Gather non-perishable food and skill books from houses and stores, stockpile them at the base. Upgrade the cooking skill as much as possible while fresh food is available

- Loot the warehouses and the logging company (guns and ammo are not very useful at the moment, so mostly for food, nails and axes)

- When zombie levels in towns go insane and/or food runs out, retire to base and start building, farming (although it's best to get a head start on farming, while there is still other food available)

I follow these rules to avoid scratches and bites:

- Always have an escape route when entering a building. If you break in through a window, open a door to be able to run out. Don't go into a building with only 1 way out when followed

- Don't open the doors of tiny storage rooms and bathrooms. It's just not worth it

- Never eat rotten, raw or burnt food. Don't even put them in your inventory

- Don't turn corners next to the wall. Keep a wide birth to be able to see and react to zombies

- Peek into buildings before entering, whenever possible

- Don't charge headlong into rooms and buildings. Open the door and stand still while the inside is revealed

- Constantly look around as you move, especially during combat. The zombie you don't see in time is the one that will get you

- Don't keep bashing a downed zombie if others are near. Landing the final blow then and there is not worth getting scratched

- Deal with the fastest zombies first (not necessarily the closest ones)

- Keep an eye on your surroundings as you loot, especially in corners. Zombies can sneak up on you when you back is turned

- Try not to carry a heavy load through heavily infested areas. Don't overburden your character, make 2 trips instead

- Only approach a body if you are sure it is one you had killed properly. Don't fight crawlers unless absolutely necessary

- Never go through trees / bushes where zombies could be. Being slowed down can be a death sentence

- Don't fight a horde with a melee weapon. More often than not killing one will attract several more. Practice melee on lone zombies

- Run instead of fighting unless you have a good reason to fight

- Take beta blockers when using a gun so that panic doesn't overwhelm you. Lead the zombies away from places of interest (base, looting point) as you are shooting. Reload the shotgun constantly, when your panic is reduced by the pills

That's about it, good luck! :)

Once farming works properly, we'll be able to survive quite long (barring accidents and ambushes) (clyde)

I have survived for over a month now, not sure how long exactly.

I usually try to do the hardest / riskiest things early on, in case a zombie gets me. Then I get more cautious as I progress.

I stuff my face with fresh food as long as it's available (they rot soon and I need the energy in the beginning). I stockpile the long lasting food and some water at my base / in stashes. When fresh food is gone / rotten, I eat much more sparingly to make the rest last longer. (The hungry state is not so bad.)

When I have the essentials to build / farm, I establish a base outside of town, far enough to be peaceful for a while. When I go into town to loot, I carry a tent kit in case I can't find a safe bed to sleep in.

In my current game I set up camp at the logging company at first, but a massive horde appeared one morning. I blasted them with the shotgun but they didn't die (bug), so I had to abandon the place. I went back a few times to get all my stuff (which was risky business but necessary). Now I'm camped out at the farm in the east. I've built up the house a bit (screenshot here - date is incorrect), but most of my crops had vanished one day :/ Waiting for the new release to fix some of the issues.

My goals are usually like this:

- Get a good weapon

- Find 2 or more big hiking bags to carry stuff

- Break into the nearest warehouse, get some axes, hammers, saws and screwdrivers (at least 1 of each)

- Loot the pharmacy for beta blockers and maybe some painkillers

- Gather supplies to make a tent kit (for loot runs and exploration)

- Gather non-perishable food and skill books from houses and stores, stockpile them at the base. Upgrade the cooking skill as much as possible while fresh food is available

- Loot the warehouses and the logging company (guns and ammo are not very useful at the moment, so mostly for food, nails and axes)

- When zombie levels in towns go insane and/or food runs out, retire to base and start building, farming (although it's best to get a head start on farming, while there is still other food available)

I follow these rules to avoid scratches and bites:

- Always have an escape route when entering a building. If you break in through a window, open a door to be able to run out. Don't go into a building with only 1 way out when followed

- Don't open the doors of tiny storage rooms and bathrooms. It's just not worth it

- Never eat rotten, raw or burnt food. Don't even put them in your inventory

- Don't turn corners next to the wall. Keep a wide birth to be able to see and react to zombies

- Peek into buildings before entering, whenever possible

- Don't charge headlong into rooms and buildings. Open the door and stand still while the inside is revealed

- Constantly look around as you move, especially during combat. The zombie you don't see in time is the one that will get you

- Don't keep bashing a downed zombie if others are near. Landing the final blow then and there is not worth getting scratched

- Deal with the fastest zombies first (not necessarily the closest ones)

- Keep an eye on your surroundings as you loot, especially in corners. Zombies can sneak up on you when you back is turned

- Try not to carry a heavy load through heavily infested areas. Don't overburden your character, make 2 trips instead

- Only approach a body if you are sure it is one you had killed properly. Don't fight crawlers unless absolutely necessary

- Never go through trees / bushes where zombies could be. Being slowed down can be a death sentence

- Don't fight a horde with a melee weapon. More often than not killing one will attract several more. Practice melee on lone zombies

- Run instead of fighting unless you have a good reason to fight

- Take beta blockers when using a gun so that panic doesn't overwhelm you. Lead the zombies away from places of interest (base, looting point) as you are shooting. Reload the shotgun constantly, when your panic is reduced by the pills

That's about it, good luck!

Once farming works properly, we'll be able to survive quite long (barring accidents and ambushes) (clyde)

Wow! You follow so many rules man!! :)

I'm a lot more  simple and I've managed to survive: [

URL=http://imageshack.com/i/04sp62p/]sp62.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com.

Now in my second attempt I'm

i28a.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

Anyway thanks for sharing your experience! Good luck to you too!

Three and a half months in .15.   Havent died yet,  just lost interest.    Ill try 16 this weekend.

I basically loot hard for two weeks,  establish a base on the edge of town and then travel to farm, dixie,  the eastern plain,  the sw, etc.     Hit all the distant spots then leave when they get hot (usually pretty fast).  They are starting to get closer to the bar where my main base is located.  Probably it will hit the fan by month four.

In .15 town is extremely dangerous after a few weeks.   Ive made several runs through to transport supplies from N to S an can manage it but it's tense.

TIPS: 

My first focus is bags.  I need a good hiking bag.   I want three (in .15) asap.    In .16 I suspect Ill just need two.  (hand/back)

Next up is water cans, buckets and food.

Then fill up all the cans in one spot as my water cache.  Though I keep grabbing more cans and buckets whenever I find them.

Then go back for more food.

Then start getting the tools together

By week two or three I usually start building something somewhere or I'm long range travelling.

When you pick up a spare gun,  make sure it goes into a bag.   If you hot button for the gun,  it can pull up the looted empty gun otherwise.    Not fun to click, click, click when you expected a loaded gun.

Three and a half months in .15.   Havent died yet,  just lost interest.    Ill try 16 this weekend.

I basically loot hard for two weeks,  establish a base on the edge of town and then travel to farm, dixie,  the eastern plain,  the sw, etc.     Hit all the distant spots then leave when they get hot (usually pretty fast).  They are starting to get closer to the bar where my main base is located.  Probably it will hit the fan by month four.

In .15 town is extremely dangerous after a few weeks.   Ive made several runs through to transport supplies from N to S an can manage it but it's tense.

TIPS: 

My first focus is bags.  I need a good hiking bag.   I want three (in .15) asap.    In .16 I suspect Ill just need two.  (hand/back)

Next up is water cans, buckets and food.

Then fill up all the cans in one spot as my water cache.  Though I keep grabbing more cans and buckets whenever I find them.

Then go back for more food.

Then start getting the tools together

By week two or three I usually start building something somewhere or I'm long range travelling.

When you pick up a spare gun,  make sure it goes into a bag.   If you hot button for the gun,  it can pull up the looted empty gun otherwise.    Not fun to click, click, click when you expected a loaded gun.

Wow wow wow.. need to see a screenshot of that record man, not that I don't belive you but I want to see!

Anyway that's impressive, I guess your main base must be painted with the blood of zombies all over! doesn't seems possible to not have them knocking on your base after the month. (at least in my two games on .15)

So far I'm only using shotguns, didn't have pistols. And I leave them at the base, I use them only when They come to pay a visit in large numbers.

In this second attempt I'm stable at the construction site next the McCoy Logging barricating the place like crazy. Had to travel in every damn warehouse to get all the nails, by the way they re-spawn in crates?, also had a long trip to the "ALIVE INSIDE warehouses" in the South.

Here some nice pics of the place:

f057.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

2oz5.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

4z2k.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

Nothing too interesting.   The safehouse has never been attacked.    Only in the past week have they suddenly moved closer.  They are now SW of me at the gas station and in the woods.   I think the movement stems from firing a gun in a nearby cell but maybe it was going to happen anyway.

ruu0jk.jpg

One trick might be that I don't live here for continuous periods.   3-5 days tops then off to loot somewhere and return a few days later.

Nothing too interesting.   The safehouse has never been attacked.    Only in the past week have they suddenly moved closer.  They are now SW of me at the gas station and in the woods.   I think the movement stems from firing a gun in a nearby cell but maybe it was going to happen anyway.

ruu0jk.jpg

One trick might be that I don't live here for continuous periods.   3-5 days tops then off to loot somewhere and return a few days later.

Great thanks for the pic man!

I was thinking about that trick the other day.. maybe they spawn next to where you sleep.

Three and a half months in .15.  

They are starting to get closer to the bar where my main base is located.  Probably it will hit the fan by month four.

Wow, you are lucky. They tend to find me at the bar in less than a month. It might be random, but the hordes seem to spread out from the large buildings in the west.

I used to favor the bar as a base, but not anymore.

In my previous game the north warehouse was totally clear for months.   NPC gunfire wouldnt even bring them.     What I think is that the border areas can get lucky with the right meta-event as the zeds get led far away.  Long term I suspect they'll always find a way back but I don't play long enough to test that.

Currently about a month in, got a cupboard filled with non-perishables and a farm underway, about to start to build more fortifications, although I doubt I'll need them considering I'm at the cabin in the middle of the woods south-east of the town.

No idea if the rain catching barrel will effectively allow me to water the crops and the nearest well is a long way from my base.

So far haven't had a single zombie find my base, got a good feeling about this run. :)

Currently about a month in, got a cupboard filled with non-perishables and a farm underway, about to start to build more fortifications, although I doubt I'll need them considering I'm at the cabin in the middle of the woods south-east of the town.

No idea if the rain catching barrel will effectively allow me to water the crops and the nearest well is a long way from my base.

So far haven't had a single zombie find my base, got a good feeling about this run. :)

Good Luck buddy!

In my previous game the north warehouse was totally clear for months.   NPC gunfire wouldnt even bring them.     What I think is that the border areas can get lucky with the right meta-event as the zeds get led far away.  Long term I suspect they'll always find a way back but I don't play long enough to test that.

I've just started a new game in .16, made my way to that warehouse by day 4 or 5. Then I spend a couple of days inside, looting, crafting etc. All doors closed, windows boarded up. I came out after that and there is already a massive horde on SW side of the building.

Not sure I will be able to return to get all the stuff I found. :/

http://i.imgur.com/KP0Tqk5.jpg

Which build are you playing? The barrel works in .15 (but you can't use more than one), but they seem to be broken in .16 :cry:

Managed to beat my previous time by a couple of weeks, albeit in .16 but I'm still happy with myself.

QQTInQP.png

0gVsaXy.jpgeo3jm5a.jpg

As you can see in the pics above, as things hit the one month mark my safehouse became somewhat crowded and I had to have words with the locals (my baseball bats are very chatty :D). On the food front, I raided both the pancake and burger places early on but never in the nearly 2 months touched any of it, 300 berries stocked up saw me through very nicely. I did have a go at farming but with the water barrels being moody about relinquishing their contents I just filled my face with more berries.

I am determined to hit my next marker of 2 months though.

Managed to beat my previous time by a couple of weeks, albeit in .16 but I'm still happy with myself.

QQTInQP.png

0gVsaXy.jpgeo3jm5a.jpg

As you can see in the pics above, as things hit the one month mark my safehouse became somewhat crowded and I had to have words with the locals (my baseball bats are very chatty :D). On the food front, I raided both the pancake and burger places early on but never in the nearly 2 months touched any of it, 300 berries stocked up saw me through very nicely. I did have a go at farming but with the water barrels being moody about relinquishing their contents I just filled my face with more berries.

Great job man!

QQTInQP.png

0gVsaXy.jpgeo3jm5a.jpg

Man... i just died like an idiot. I was making a watching tower on the 3 floor. That was great I can see really all my damn safehouse. Then I click the wrong button, "E" instead of "R" to rotate the damn fence I was building, aaand I jumped off the fence. 

3mc3.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com