Dead Pets

Strang

When human pet owners die, so will their pets. So how about being able to scavenge dead pets and eat them. Some pets could be Hamsters, gerbils, birds, lizards, turtles, cats, dogs, mice ect. This could work like trapping does. For example you walk up to a dog house, loot it to get a dead dog to eat. Same with smaller animals, I'm some bedrooms there could be a cage with an animal in it for you to eat. Eating dead pets would give you the same effect as eating a dead rat now

When human pet owners die, so will their pets. So how about being able to scavenge dead pets and eat them. Some pets could be Hamsters, gerbils, birds, lizards, turtles, cats, dogs, mice ect. This could work like trapping does. For example you walk up to a dog house, loot it to get a dead dog to eat. Same with smaller animals, I'm some bedrooms there could be a cage with an animal in it for you to eat. Eating dead pets would give you the same effect as eating a dead rat now

You are so evil.

"I can have one of my tins of soup, or I can eat my Dog."

There are Zombies which would have already eaten the pets. Sorry 

It'd also be a morsel of rotted flesh. Seriously, if it was left in a cage long enough to starve to death odds are good it's also rotten. Any dead pet you find is likely going to have been left out long enough to go bad and become inedible.

no. as Kajin already pointed out the meat would almost certainly be rotten and/or inedible

you cannot just walk up to a dead animal and assume it is safe to eat, you have no idea how long it has been dead.

watch a deer hunter sometime, as soon as possible they string it up, head down, and drain the blood before it starts to spoil the meat.

same with a butcher who comes to a ranchers place to butcher a cow for them.

now, you wanna get into the facts of what starts to happen to a formerly living creature when left untouched? you know, the maggots and all that fun shit, the blood pooling up in the lowest part of the body, the "slipping" flesh....all that?

you cannot just walk up on a dead animal and assume it is safe to eat. period.

now, you wanna get into the facts of what starts to happen to a formerly living creature when left untouched? you know, the maggots and all that fun shit, the blood pooling up in the lowest part of the body, the "slipping" flesh....all that?

Man sfy..... You made me hungry :(

If the pet starved to death there wouldn't be any meat or fat left on its bones. It starved to death, which means it used up every last ounce of energy from its body before it's internal organs shut down. Ever seen livestock starving during a drought? Not appetizing.

Furthermore like most others have said, it'd most likely be rotted. If it died recently then it was probably living in squalor, so it's hygiene was probably horrible. Not something you would want to eat unless you were extremely desperate.

To each their own though I suppose.

If you cook it long enough, you can probably get away with eating rotten meat. The heat will kill all the pathogens and neutralize most toxins. Even better if you cut the meat in little pieces and change the cooking water a couple of times, to get rid of possible remaining toxins. The result won't be very palatable, but nutritious and probably safe. 

Notice the use of the word probably.

If you cook it long enough, you can probably get away with eating rotten meat. The heat will kill all the pathogens and neutralize most toxins. Even better if you cut the meat in little pieces and change the cooking water a couple of times, to get rid of possible remaining toxins. The result won't be very palatable, but nutritious and probably safe. 

Notice the use of the word probably.

This is so wrong it's hilarious. Sure, the heat will kill the pathogens. But the toxins they leave behind are there to stay and the amount of heat needed to neutralize them would turn the meat into charcoal.

This is so wrong it's hilarious. Sure, the heat will kill the pathogens. But the toxins they leave behind are there to stay and the amount of heat needed to neutralize them would turn the meat into charcoal.

Meanwhile, in the real world, lots of people (and other animals for that matter) have eaten rotten meat without ill effects. Also, I did mention the toxins, but apparently you pulled a TL;DR after the first sentence. It's also rather uninformed to assume that toxins need 300-400C heat to be destroyed. For example, the most nasty toxin associated with rotten meat, botuline is deactivated after 5 minutes boiling or so.I don't claim necessarily claim it's a good idea to eat spoiled meat, but the dangers associated with it are usually exaggerated. Humans did evolve some resistance to that kind of thing, not in the last place because we're basically nature's own walking garbage bags.

Meanwhile, in the real world, lots of people (and other animals for that matter) have eaten rotten meat without ill effects. Also, I did mention the toxins, but apparently you pulled a TL;DR after the first sentence. It's also rather uninformed to assume that toxins need 300-400C heat to be destroyed. For example, the most nasty toxin associated with rotten meat, botuline is deactivated after 5 minutes boiling or so.I don't claim necessarily claim it's a good idea to eat spoiled meat, but the dangers associated with it are usually exaggerated. Humans did evolve some resistance to that kind of thing, not in the last place because we're basically nature's own walking garbage bags.

We've lost a lot of the resistance against rotten food that we once had, thanks to becoming dependant on cooking our food before we eat it. We've been cooking our food for so long, our bodies have actually adapted to it. Pretty neat.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/evan.20275/abstract