THE UNDERTAKING: ORIGINS [OFFLINE - NO LONGER ACTIVE]

Deadend

*The server's still down since last night, btw. It may have been a restart that didn't go so well.

Oh snap really? DEADEND fix the server D;

When I try to join the server it just says "connection request accepted" Then nothing, tried many times. Just sits there doing nothing, been waiting 10 mins so far. Is this a common problem?

EDIT: Nevermind im in now.

Yup, something must have gone wrong with the last server restart. In my console it showed the server was up. I've restarted it and seems to be working now.

Just in general, being a faction founder make sure you're very well aware of the rules so you can protect your faction through them, making sure those who break them don't get away with it, and making sure your members are well aware of the rules.

Totally understood. I'll handle this in-game, however: it really will be just a meeting place for neutral players to restock, accept job requests, engage in trading, and just pass the time. Will likely use the 3rd floor as a public Garden that people visiting can help maintain. I don't know if a three-story building is the current limit... will test expanding it further.

Keeping the compound safe is the primary objective. Associates will be shown how to enter and how to lock-up if they are the last to leave. The only commodity that we would be actively seeking out are firearms and ammo, and the traders allied with us may help in acquiring those.

Despite that fundamental level of organization, it's to each his own. Lone wolves are welcome to make use of our facilities and/or help run some task-forces in charge of various duties in the area. No one has to accept a job if they don't like what they'd be payed. Good Samaritans can answer to SOS distress calls, rescue missions, etc.

I'll update you with more info to edit as it all gets figured out.

EDIT: I fell out the damned 3rd floor. Those walls are deceptively short. At least I can prevent any visitors from falling now -.-

Just in general, being a faction founder make sure you're very well aware of the rules so you can protect your faction through them, making sure those who break them don't get away with it, and making sure your members are well aware of the rules.

Totally understood. I'll handle this in-game, however: it really will be just a meeting place for neutral players to restock, accept job requests, engage in trading, and just pass the time. Will likely use the 3rd floor as a public Garden that people visiting can help maintain. I don't know if a three-story building is the current limit... will test expanding it further.

Keeping the compound safe is the primary objective. Associates will be shown how to enter and how to lock-up if they are the last to leave. The only commodity that we would be actively seeking out are firearms and ammo, and the traders allied with us may help in acquiring those.

Despite that fundamental level of organization, it's to each his own. Lone wolves are welcome to make use of our facilities and/or help run some task-forces in charge of various duties in the area. No one has to accept a job if they don't like what they'd be payed. Good Samaritans can answer to SOS distress calls, rescue missions, etc.

I'll update you with more info to edit as it all gets figured out.

Sounds good :)

IS server up and working? My game crashed and now I cant get back on. Just partly loads then its blank with "click to skip" in bottom right of screen (which does nothing). 

Server is up and there is a few people connected. Usually when the 'click to skip' option shows up in the bottom right corner with a black screen means the client has finished loading. And you getting past the login screen also means you connected to the server. So maybe just wait a bit. Check your console to see if you getting any errors. I'm doing a full server (physical server) restart in a bit to refresh any little kinks it might be having.

IS server up and working? My game crashed and now I cant get back on. Just partly loads then its blank with "click to skip" in bottom right of screen (which does nothing). 

Server is up and there is a few people connected. Usually when the 'click to skip' option shows up in the bottom right corner with a black screen means the client has finished loading. And you getting past the login screen also means you connected to the server. So maybe just wait a bit. Check your console to see if you getting any errors. I'm doing a full server (physical server) restart in a bit to refresh any little kinks it might be having.

Ok thanks. I looked it up a bit and seems hardly any mention of this problem. I left it sitting for about 20 mins and nothing. A few online posts say have to delete multiplayer files but don't want to lose this character after all this work :S

Ok thanks. I looked it up a bit and seems hardly any mention of this problem. I left it sitting for about 20 mins and nothing. A few online posts say have to delete multiplayer files but don't want to lose this character after all this work :S

It's up so feel free to try again. If you get further issues send me a private message so I can give you more hands on assistance.

maybe make the days 3 hours long or 1 its quite weird not having to eat cause its real time 

Agreed, I don't know about doubling the timescale... I think make it 1/3 faster.

I really like the vibe, but nights are aggravatingly long and waiting for rain to stop is too tedious.

maybe make the days 3 hours long or 1 its quite weird not having to eat cause its real time 

Agreed, I don't know about doubling the timescale... I think make it 1/3 faster.

I really like the vibe, but nights are aggravatingly long and waiting for rain to stop is too tedious.

The 12 hour period was more or so that the server would get a break since most players won't play for hours of night time. But, yes things in general take too long. Like last time I was trying to read a carpentry book, it took maybe 20 to 30 minutes to read 2/3 of it. I'll see if if changing a game setting like that takes effect considering the server is full on steam already. The next lowest option is 5 hours. So 2.5 hr day/night, I'll change it to that.

EDIT: okay, I changed the game day to be 5 hours long. Let me know if this is working properly. Also lowered the zombie population to low. Don't know if this will have any effect since I assume all zombies are spawned initially. But zombie respawns is in with a multiplier so hopefully that works as its supposed to since there is no actual way of testing that. Hopefully the streets don't become barren of zombies but this should increase performance a bit for the server.

There is also the resupply events which spawns hordes in so we should be good.

I admit the days and nights seemed long, but I also kind of liked the realism of it. I knew i could go offline and when i came back only a day had passed and all my crops wouldn't be dead. But yes I guess it could still be good with day sped up a little.

And I also can't log on for the last few hours, just says request accepted and does nothing.

Is the server down right now? I cant seem to join, just a standard connection failed message :\

Well, it's working now

Have you been the server before without a problem?

No this is my first time logging on (got whitelisted)

Is the server down right now? I cant seem to join, just a standard connection failed message :\

Well, it's working now

Have you been the server before without a problem?

No this is my first time logging on (got whitelisted)

Having the exact same issue. "Connection failed" or "Account doesn't exist" (I have been whitelisted).

ANNOUNCEMENT:

This week was more or less a stress test to see how my server box could with hosting a PZ server. In conclusion, its just not up to part/spec to host a PZ server. connections drop often from the server not being able to handle more than 6 players or just random internet connection drops. Then just apparently standing idle until I pull the crank to put it back up. Even with just 4-5 players the server starts to experience lag, zombies "teleporting" and the random freezes (with high ping) when someone logs in.

I definitely foresaw this as a possibility but it just seems my own rig (old PC turned server box with regular home broadband) just won't do. Any further upgrades just aren't within my budget or feasible. It would pretty much require buying a new computer to host this server.

The only other alternative is to rent a VPS or game server. I'd be aiming for something between $10-$20 to start off, at least for the first month. That would probably hold 10-15 stable slots at most; with much better connectivity and stability. Then I could just use my server box to host a TeamSpeak server or website for the server instead. And then I would probably also look into adding at least one or two more to the administration of the server to provide better "service". Even though I do this purely out of enjoyment to see my ideal server finally out there and seeing others interested in it.

Paying full rent of the server and top of that administering it is just too much. I would be willing to take care of all of the technicalities of hosting the server off of a rental. But I would very much appreciated if those that have garnered interest in the server thus far or believe in the idea would support the server by donating at least a dollar or two to see how much we could raise for at least a month's rent. I'll be making a poll to just get an idea of how many people would be willing to donate or whats the general idea so if you're interested in the server please cast your vote. 

If I see some support, besides taking care of all of the technicalities of hosting the server I will also be willing to chip in some money to pay for the server. 

Otherwise, I'll just sadly have to consider this project a sinking ship and have to back out, shutting the server within the next two weeks or so. A game server is nothing without a player base around it to support it. So if you want to see this server through. Lend a hand!

You know DeadEnd.. whenever I tried to look for a great server that includes rp, pvp, pve traders, outposts, events, stories, whitelists in Europe. I never found it. It simply doesn't exists I think. Which is a real pitty for me. But your server, despite the 140 ping I balance on at all time, despite the spikelagging zombies and despite the slow, slow, slow map render parts. You've really slapped up a server idea here that I've never heard of before. All the features you've spoken about to put into the server to make it a balanced rpg and pvp, it's really attached me to it. And I'm gonna be honest, I've looked for so many servers with these ideas that you've brought up.. but I've never found it. It would be a shame to see this whole thing fall down into oblivion, like most servers do after awhile. Because I sure as hell wanna stay. It's just the stability and perhaps some improved ping that's in need of a fix to make me stay on your server and possibly start my long thought PZ Gameplay.

So here's my deal.. I'll stand up and donate for this server, around 2-5$ each month. I sure as hell would do it. Just to have this fascinating server running on for a long, long time.