THE UNDERTAKING: ORIGINS [OFFLINE - NO LONGER ACTIVE]

Deadend

I sure as hell would do it. Just to have this fascinating server running on for a long, long time.

We love you too, Razzlie.

The internet sure has brought us all together, but ping is still a technical problem :/

You have no idea how wonderful it is to hear of your support so soon.

Keep your offer on the table for now though, we really hope to avoid relying too much on one or two people.

Need to assess the situation in full before we know what's the next step to take.

I generally don't get involved in these threads I just skim through them to make sure people are behaving. However I feel my advice might be helpful here.

ANNOUNCEMENT:

-snip-

If looking at a server I would suggest Nitrado: http://server.nitrado.net/usa/order-gameserver I don't know for certain if they are any good, but from what I've been hearing from a couple of people, it seems a few of the other hosters may have a questionable quality of service. It would be best to contact them and see if they would be willing to tell you what the best plan for your server would be. However 14 players cost about 10-14 euros. 

Going the VPS route, while it could save you money in the long term, in the short term you're going to get screwed out of that money. If you're not setting up a website, server and Teamspeak immediately, you're not going to save money. If you also don't know your way around such a system, it can be daunting and frustrating to maintain. It can be worth it, but I have the disposable income to do such a thing and got the knowledge to do such a thing. With a server like this you're looking at $30 or more, for a basic setup that could handle players but not much else outside of it. You would need a pretty powerful machine to really get the most out of it.

I recommend a game hoster route for now. If you have questions about any website hosters, or something then give me a poke or PM and I'll see what I can do.

I generally don't get involved in these threads I just skim through them to make sure people are behaving. However I feel my advice might be helpful here.

I recommend a game hoster route for now. If you have questions about any website hosters, or something then give me a poke or PM and I'll see what I can do.

Good lookin' out m8, you're epic ;p

I'd be more than happy to pay a monthly whitelist subscription for;

1. A stable, low latency server which can accommodate enough players to actually RP

2. A server that's properly managed

The way I see it is that the admin(s) should only be responsible for making sure the server is running and the world is well managed. The financials should be secondary and provided by to players who are paying for a service. Personally, the little spare time I have for gaming is far too valuable to find that I can't get on a server or when on have a poor experience. 

If we can whitelist 40-50 people who all chip in $2-3/month I guess that would be enough for 25 concurrent players?

Each renewal period is three months to ensure a steady cash flow. Players who don't renew are taken off the whitelist and their spot is up for grabs. Make this experience exclusive and something others want to be part of, having a strong community will be key.

Rather than a poll, create a list where players commit to the subscription model and reserver a spot (let's say $9 for three months). When we have enough players to support a server, collect via PayPal or similar and make it happen.

As of now, I believe that the main concern would to get the server funded and stable. Like I said I am more than willing to throw 15 or so dollars to get it setup. The first month should be non whitelist so players can decide if they like the server. Month 2 should semi white list, you pay for a slot then month 3 should whitelist.

As of now, I believe that the main concern would to get the server funded and stable. Like I said I am more than willing to throw 15 or so dollars to get it setup. The first month should be non whitelist so players can decide if they like the server. Month 2 should semi white list, you pay for a slot then month 3 should whitelist.

Mind defining what you mean by paying for a slot?

"Paid subscriber" options (if people actually are interested in that route) with models seen in the past could be:

1) Reserved slots, which most likely doesn't work for a game like this, especially for RPers

2) Subscriber benefits of some sort, like being guaranteed a spot during a server event (similar to above)

^This would actually give incentive to donate/subscribe while keeping the advantages fair for those who don't

3) The option to do some "work" for the server and earn a white-listing that way: such as maintaining the website, etc.

Mind defining what you mean by paying for a slot?

Going by the plan that Strang mentioned,

I believe he meant that for month 2 people could subscribe in advance for their slot on month 3,

during which only paid-members would be white-listed and have access to the server

Also borrowing from Goose, a 40 member threshold might be a good number for the server to have a rather constant 24 players connected, assuming that every1's time zones don't conflict.

& I'm not entirely sure if the 3 month plan is what we should go with just yet, but we would indeed have this week to plan and carry it out, in order to have the server ready for "Month 1" in September. Since it's back to school season, it may be great timing to find just enough members the server can handle for starters.

@Connall, Would you or your contacts know the possibility of having a truly stable 64 person server:

if it's technically feasible at this stage of the game? (EnigmaGrey mentioned the TIS server once supporting 32 members smoothly, but even that seems hard to believe from prior experience @ servers)

Assuming that people would indeed pay 3 or even 5 dollars per month, with 64 or more paying members, would that be enough to fund such a large server? Because if it were, then no doubt I believe any1 would find it well worth the money.

What I ment by paying for a spot is basically what LOL said, pay for a garunteed spit on the server for x ammount of months

Alright, as long as it was not gating off people to have to pay in order to get in. I've run a few communities that leads to stagnation fast. It's just generally not a good idea. You are penalizing people who can't pay and you don't get a sufficient intake of new players. That being said even something like:

3) The option to do some "work" for the server and earn a white-listing that way: such as maintaining the website, etc

​Not a great idea either, you don't want people you don't know mucking around in that. You should always allow someone to join the server without having to pay otherwise you just don't get any new players.

@Connall, Would you or your contacts know the possibility of having a truly stable 64 person server:

if it's technically feasible at this stage of the game? (EnigmaGrey mentioned the TIS server once supporting 32 members smoothly, but even that seems hard to believe from prior experience @ servers)

Assuming that people would indeed pay 3 or even 5 dollars per month, with 64 or more paying members, would that be enough to fund such a large server? Because if it were, then no doubt I believe any1 would find it well worth the money.

I'm going to say Nitrado again. According to nasKo (I believe it was Nitrado anyway) they had a server running 200 people successfully and pretty smooth. The problem with most servers is down to three factors.

1) Hosters not being reliable.

2) Servers being run off a home internet connection. These are not a reliable way to be hosting a server and despite how good their connection can be, they will often quickly get crippled by their ISP.

3) Not sufficient RAM. When it comes to server RAM is the ultimate bottleneck for players, and without enough assigned RAM, it's just going to die pretty quickly.

If all players were putting in say... minimum of $2 (assuming their is no deductions) it would be enough to fund the server. Not much else though.

At $4? Each. Then yeah I think you could get away with it.

Can i get whitelisted? i already send a PM with the nickname,password and in game name to Deadend :D

I'm just going to assume that you were on-time with when we closed our gates (last night), PM your desired account info to me as well please.

The server is down, however, with no eta yet.

Likewise, we cannot approve further white list requests temporarily.

We've been looking into possible solutions server-wise.

The current setup is guaranteed to crash, with no way to restart it in a timely manner.

For that, we must apologize, though we're definitely close to moving onto the next stage.

You may expect Deadend to provide links for fundraising either later on today, or tomorrow morning.

Updates will of course be posted here and on the steam page:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/108600/discussions/5/34095684462517011#p3

Surprised you guys haven't set up a Steam group or something. Would probably be easier to help keep track of players.

Agreed, that would be ideal.

LolDodge, should we track the Steam page or this thread first and foremost? Looking forward to getting in on this!

Will see to it, once it's made that'll be our go-to for updates, I do believe.

For right now, mainly all the information is gathered here and simply forwarded to the steam topic.

Again, thanks every1 for sticking by us with all the support, and to Connall for looking out for us.

We should be seeing progress in no time (Soon)~

i mean how am i suppose to like get money and pay it ? sorta new to this  

Not to worry, we're never "charging" for a spot in the server.

Currently we're garnering support for more player slots and a genuinely stable experience for all.

Those able and willing, are backing us in getting started back up again.

If and when the need arises to expand further, the solution will be found.

Donator privileges, with fairness in mind, are still up for debate moving forward.

i mean how am i suppose to like get money and pay it ? sorta new to this  

Not to worry, we're never charging for a spot in the server.

Currently we're garnering support for more player slots and a genuinely stable experience for all.

Those able and willing, are backing us in getting started back up again.

If and when the need arises to expand further, the solution will be found.

Donator privileges, with fairness in mind, are still up for debate moving forward.

sure thanks i would still donate though i really like this server :)

Like Dodge said, we're very pleased with the positive response we've received thus far for this move.

I'm sort of in between two providers right now. One is cheaper and seems to give more control (which is good so I can do more stuff that I know how to do instead of waiting around for the staff to do it for me). With their downside being that they don't have many hosting locations or ideally one for which this server is suppose to be based off  (U.S. East)... It's an European provider.

Whereas the other one is a bit more expensive, less control, but has the location (N.Y.C).

If we were to go with the first choice I listed, you can expect U.S. people to have pings starting at 100ms (approximation/average). Whereas European players should have pings starting at 10ms or so. Once you go over 100ms you can experience some lag, but should be playable (should at least be more playable than what I was able to provide with my server box).

And then basically the opposite would be true if we were to go with the second choice.

So since this is a community effort, I'm putting up a new poll for all you supporters to pick the location that best suits you. Soon I'll also be making an update in terms of some sort of platform for a fundraiser and so people can start donating. As well as making a Steam group as Connall suggested so we can have closer tabs on who's supporting the server and/or looking forward to it.

Thank you all :)

EDIT: here is the link to the steam group. Feel free to join if you will be supporting the server and would like to be part of it. http://steamcommunity.com/groups/theundertaking

We'd like to ask everyone to add their vote on the new poll at the top of the page.

If you have already voted on the 1st poll about donations, click "Delete my vote" and you will be able to resubmit your vote on the 1st poll plus enter your vote for the new poll.

We'd assume that most of our players live in the US, though we need to be sure.

Both Atlanta and Chicago are solid choices, and both cities seem to have plenty of hosting companies based on my extremely limited experience with this stuff... but you might also look into Toronto, as this guy that helps me out with this sort of stuff occasionally hosts out of there.

Living in Europe myself I'd prefer a service where no matter it's located at, we all can play at equal speeds without suffering from any sort of ping issues, although I never did on the "current" server. I assume it's down due to this debate? ( haven't been able to log on for days. )