Blood Effect Overhaul Mod Ideas

CheezeIsGouda

:excl:  So I have another topic in the PZ suggestions called "Neat Little Ideas". (Found here: http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/10095-neat-little-ideas/ ) Here is one of the ideas I suggested to be implemented into the game, and more, in case anyone would like to make it a mod.

For reference, humanoid characters or characters are NPCs, Players, and Zombies. Is sorta shorter for me to write.  ;-)

When a zombie, NPC, or player dies, a blood puddle slowly forms around the body, suggesting  they are bleeding on the ground. The size of the blood puddle and how fast it forms would depend on the type of weapon used to kill them and/or the severity of injuries on the body at the time of death. Which one is added, should depend on the games limits. (List of blood puddle size to weapon killed with: Fists: None/Very Small. Fork: Very small. Bat: Medium. Kitchen Knife: Large. Axe: Large, and so on.)

Maybe a humanoid character stepping on the blood puddles or other blood textures would give that character bloody footprints for a short time, resulting in interesting player, zombie, and npc tracking.

Another cool idea, is that the blood textures should look different, depending how much damage is done. Ex: The blood textures should look gorier if hit with an axe five times, than hit with a fork or bat.

Characters should show better blood particles when being hit instead of chunks of meat flying out and blood magically appearing on the ground when hit. Blood particles look somewhat like this: blood1.gif

(But it should look more... Realistic, than this example.  :geek: )

Well, that's my mod request. Get your brilliant coding minds working, and I hope at least one of these suggestions become a mod! I appreciate feedback. Thanks for reading!  :mrgreen:

though it sounds simple. Something like this would probably crash the game. particle effects tend to be drag in performance of games. But its not even just that, its the processes required where for example you shoot at a horde. Zombie dies, splatters some blood, make blood splash, zombies walk over it creating a couple of hundred footprints. Boom, your computer explodes and you've set your house on fire. It's even worse in MP or with NPCs added. Considering NPCs don't really materialize unless they come in contact with players could also mean this is something you as the player would only experience. 

And then to make it so that it doesn't make the game a possible lagfest it would require that footprints only occur when you step over blood. But that sort of defeats the purpose. The devs might be able to pull it off. But as a mod it would probably just lag your game.

I think the footprints thing has been suggested before though but, no harm done.

As for the blood splatters. Hmm, yeh Its more feasible, its just prettying up the game. It could be like a more gore feature you'd turn on for people into that kind of thing. Though technically if I was in such situation, the less blood the better since more blood splattering means higher chance of infection. But to each their own preferences :D

though it sounds simple. Something like this would probably crash the game. particle effects tend to be drag in performance of games. But its not even just that, its the processes required where for example you shoot at a horde. Zombie dies, splatters some blood, make blood splash, zombies walk over it creating a couple of hundred footprints. Boom, your computer explodes and you've set your house on fire. It's even worse in MP or with NPCs added. Considering NPCs don't really materialize unless they come in contact with players could also mean this is something you as the player would only experience. 

And then to make it so that it doesn't make the game a possible lagfest it would require that footprints only occur when you step over blood. But that sort of defeats the purpose. The devs might be able to pull it off. But as a mod it would probably just lag your game.

I think the footprints thing has been suggested before though but, no harm done.

As for the blood splatters. Hmm, yeh Its more feasible, its just prettying up the game. It could be like a more gore feature you'd turn on for people into that kind of thing. Though technically if I was in such situation, the less blood the better since more blood splattering means higher chance of infection. But to each their own preferences :D

First, my house! :cry:  

Second, I'm not asking for characters to make footsteps every single texture they step on, only the puddles. That way it wouldn't be laggy, and you would actually care about the dead bodies around you. Of course, you'd make it so the footprints and/or blood puddles dry up over time. I just think a zombie or player killing something should be... More realistic? You're always so clean and spotless, after brutally murdering those 60 zombies that wanted to munch on your brain. Also, I know the blood splashes seem like it would lag the game out, but all I really would want is those meat chunks sprayed by zombies being hit, to be drops of blood. It could even be just a retexture of those meat chunk things.

Sounds good enough.

Little details like these would surely add to the immersion!

I agree, I love little details that add to immersion in games. I have maybe 15-20 of those kinds of mods for Skyrim. Do you know anyone that would be willing to make a mod such as this?

I loved the game "Vietcong" and its expansions a ton because of its little details. Its the most authentic (and sadly only good) vietnam war game that really seems like the devs spent time researching about. It had a great medical system with tons of brutal realistic and different damage models for each soldier (for example, a vietcong hit by artillery would show his chest and intestines blown up, while a different variation of a vietcong would show half the head and lots of skin and the legs gone which added alot to the immersion and "WOW THAT WAS FUCKING BRUTAL" factors.) or the realistic foliage that actually grows in vietnam and all. Its from 2004 though alot of people still play it and its multiplayer, last time I counted like 300 servers with 100 players playing. Little details are what make every game, I'd much rather have realistic foliage that actually grows in muldraugh and limbs exploding in different ways for different weapons over a bigger selection of weapons any day.