Makeshift Suppressor

Mikhail Reign

Leaving them out wouldn't be unrealistic as I've pouted out many times before. I have both experience as someone qualified to comment on it (having lived near there in a town that size full of hunters and gun enthusiasts, none of which owned a suppressor) and having provided evidence to government documents backing up my claims with hard evidence.

I think I said it before, but sometimes in game design gameplay and fun is more important than realism.

Let's just agree to disagree.

Agreed.

Military uses suppressors as well, I wouldn't be surprised if they had them on deck on a base, and majority of gun shops do carry them anyways, even if the not an overwhelming number of the population own them, every gun store has at least one or three. I've even seen one carry fifteen, then again it was a massive gun store/range that was very busy, and then there's the guy that purchases them because they're fun and neat to own. So in reality, suppressors aren't that uncommon, but somewhat are? Does that make sense? For gameplay value it could decrease a small amount of noise radius, like instead of the pistol shooting at lets say 250 cells, it now shoots at 175 cells.

The military actually doesn't use suppressors on a regular basis. You can find evidence of this in the other thread discussing this, where a guy who does special ops confirms it. I can also confirm from a family member in the secret service that they were not used there, either.

I work at a gun store. We don't carry any suppressors. It's a hassle, and while certainly some places do, they're outnumbered by those that don't. It's much easier to sell them online. Keep in mind it's a $ 200 tax stamp to buy one, or even buy the hookups.

They're certainly not out numbered by ones that don't. Every single gun store in my state has at least one. I do agree, they're mainly sold online, but yet still you're going off your states stats I'm going off mine, and Kentucky, well we'll have to have a native come and give us that knowledge. Also, you're basing your logic off words of others for suppressors in the military, if you've seen photographs, or actual combat videos a good bit of them they have suppressors, but I do agree a good chunk of them don't, but that doesn't mean they don't use them at all. Suppressors even go far back as to use in the military to as back as World War I.

They're certainly not out numbered by ones that don't. Every single gun store in my state has at least one. I do agree, they're mainly sold online, but yet still you're going off your states stats I'm going off mine, and Kentucky, well we'll have to have a native come and give us that knowledge. Also, you're basing your logic off words of others for suppressors in the military, if you've seen photographs, or actual combat videos a good bit of them they have suppressors, but I do agree a good chunk of them don't, but that doesn't mean they don't use them at all. Suppressors even go far back as to use in the military to as back as World War I.

I was in the military. I've been to combat. We don't use suppressors. In a little over 5 years in the army I never saw a single one. While Im sure the military does own them, its not in any significant numbers, and in the event of the zombie apocalypse I imagine immediately following the outbreak anyone with knowledge of their location would take them for themselves, dropping the number of them on base from like 5 to 0.

Also, why do people continue to argue suggestions when a member of the dev team (you know, the people actually making the game) has said, repeatedly, not just no, but hell no?

My ten cents into silencer topic from real life experience. It is either noise suppressor to save a few seconds before target infantry group pinpoints location from where they are being killed - and a few seconds is a lot, or - it requires subsonic bullets.

How do you make subsonic bullets? You get some gunpowder out of a normal bullet and pray it still has enough power to penetrate at point blank range, any error will result in either retaining noise or making a non-lethal bullet, which is doubled risk as shattering zombie flesh would likely require a bit extra power.

Resulting personal conclusion on silencers vs zombies:

1) Takes several attempts of trial and error before getting proper dosage.

2) Requires multiple or high caliber pistol bullets per one target

3) Highly inspires creation of explosive bullets, which in turn make a small amount of noise only when delivered precisely into the thick flesh.

Instantly imagined list of items that would do the same job with same or more ease of operation

1) Crossbow

2) Bow+Broadhead

3) Thrown net followed by safer finishing kill

4) Traps

5) Ah yes and the fish hunting speargun

If you fire a speargun on land, say bye bye to your shoulder.

Makin a subsonic round is not that difficult. Bigger bullet weight combined with a fast burning powder. The subsonic loads we had for our pistols (9mm) was a 147gn bullet, which is pretty heavy for 9mm. The regular military ball ammo has a 115 or 124gn bullet weight.

Well, as far as I know, the concept of game's crafting is in what an uneducated man could do without reading any books or googling after some trial and error. Strictly imho just getting the gunpowder out is a yes, reforging the bullet size and readjusting chemical composition of gunpowder is a no. Maybe a yes to a person with a starting background of a gun hobby/club etc. Whether this idea is right or wrong will be seen by how well the devs get the plotline generator going. Regardless of that, if the mod framework gets up well, silencers are definitely going to be there in numbers.

It was just explaining how they work. If you take regular military ball ammo and "just remove some gunpowder", the chance are high that they'll only make your gun not cycle proper (if at all). And you can't "reforge" a bullet nor "adjust" the chemical composition of gunpowder, it does not work like that. Take the N100 series from VV (I can't spell the name proper lol), the "chemical composition" are exactly the same, the difference between burn rates are how fine the powder grains are. The finer, the faster it is. Like if you open a .50BMG cartridge, which uses a slow burning powder, that powder looks almost like fine gravel).