Additional Skill Books Mod

Pravus

I was playing around with the script in my "Trapping Books Mod" (http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/9471-trapping-books-mod/) and I managed to throw together some new skill books for fun.  For those who want to progress through their skill ranks faster or just want a larger library of collectable books:

Additional Skill Books Mod

New skill books have been created spanning from Beginner to Master for:

• Trapping
  • Aiming
  • Reloading
  • Blade
  • Blunt

They have all been added to the usual skill book spawn locations and should appear

just like the vanilla skill books of the same level and rarity.  Enjoy!

v1.3

Download:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/cgfb4qfgawh8ahl/Additional+Skill+Books.rar

For those of you who would like your skill books a little less bland, there is also:

Alternate v1.3 with renamed skill books!

http://www.mediafire.com/download/9ktye9x6rny47en/Additional+Skill+Books+%5BBooks+Renamed+Edition%5D.rar

* Updated to v1.2!  Now includes books for both bladed and blunt weapon combat skills!

* Updated to v1.3!  Blade Skill books weren't working correctly (I overlooked a typo *blush*).  All books should be 100% functional and properly distributed now.

Might want to lower the max experience bonus for certain skills.

IE: Give a smaller bonus to some skills. Sprinting, Lightfooted, Nimble, Sneaking.

Actually it would be better if you gave an experience bonus based on shoes for these stats maybe make custom shoes and just do a check for if equipped and add an experience bonus based on that? Because other than sneaking I don't really see how bonus experience could be gained by reading lol...

Might want to lower the max experience bonus for certain skills.

IE: Give a smaller bonus to some skills. Sprinting, Lightfooted, Nimble, Sneaking.

Actually it would be better if you gave an experience bonus based on shoes for these stats maybe make custom shoes and just do a check for if equipped and add an experience bonus based on that? Because other than sneaking I don't really see how bonus experience could be gained by reading lol...

Well, currently none of those are included in the package for pretty much the very reason you already stated.  I originally tried to script in sneaking because it legitimately sounded like something someone might study up on to me but the rest of them ...not so much, lol ("I'm going to the library to check out 'Advanced Nimble!'  Be back in a bit." lol, yeah right!).

There was an error in the script I originally wrote anyway that made the game crash if you tried to read a "sneaking skill book"  so I simply removed the script instead of fretting over it.  I think Aiming, Reloading, Blade, and Blunt are probably plenty additive as it is at this point.

One thing I may experiment with, however, is the naming scheme of skill books.  The currently implemented ones in the vanilla game have reasonably believable sounding titles even though they're just stating what level of skill they train.  I can't much see a book existing in real life called "Blunt for Intermediates" or "Master Reloading" though (Unless maybe they were written to be "How To" manuals for drug dealers or something, lol).

That said, if I feel like it and I get around to playing with the script again, I may try to write a version of the mod where all skill books have more realistic and interesting names but with the same effects as they currently grant.

• 2 weeks later...

is this server/MP ready?

It should be.  All the Lua scripting is handled server side so as far as I know it should work perfectly in a multiplayer environment provided both the server itself and all joining players have it installed.

is this server/MP ready?

It should be.  All the Lua scripting is handled server side so as far as I know it should work perfectly in a multiplayer environment provided both the server itself and all joining players have it installed.

well, i don't know about others but so far i cannot get it to work for me.

(though to be honest, the darn TC Admin panel i have to fight with has prevented every other mod i have tried in the past from working as well)

looking in the media/lua file, i don't see the "client" folder that most other mods have. only a "server" folder

maybe this is preventing the mod from working in MP?

I doubt that's the root of the problem.  Containing lua additions/changes only in the media/lua/server folder was what i was directly refering to in my previous statement that "All the Lua scripting is handled server side."  As long as all parties involved have the mod installed correctly (meaning both the server and all the players who join) it should work.  I'm pretty sure I remember reading a thread about this a little while ago in which someone asked what criteria made a mod multiplayer compatible and I'd almost swear they said the necessary elements were that if the mod had a server folder that all files had to be installed to the server's PZ and that if the mod author used any reference instances to a player in the mod script that hey needed to be "getSpecificPlayer()" instead of "getPlayer()" since the latter could technically reference any player currently connected to the server when triggered.

I'll look around and see if I can find anythings else useful to you and I'll post a link in this thread.

• 2 weeks later...

Pravus will this mod work with your RKF mod? And are you planing on adding it to the RKF mod?

Yes this works with RKFmod just fine!  In fact, I use the two together when I play sandbox games myself.  I don't currently have any plans to integrate this into RKFmod fully.  My last mod integration (my modified variant of RoboMat's Lockpicking Mod) has received some mixed reviews from players and I figure its easy enough for those who would enjoy both mods to simply download them seperately for now. ;)

• 1 month later...

Could you improve the UI handling of the books?  Right now, there's three main problems with the mod.  

1.  It doesn't show up on the UI as a boosted skill.

2.  The book disappears after reading it.

3.  Identical books show 0/220 pages read even if you've already read it.  

There's no way to tell if  you've read a book or not without keeping a notepad open.  It'd be great if you could look into that.

• 1 month later...

I decided that I would upload an updated version of the mod in the absence of Pravus. I can remove it if need be but uploading based off of the lack of a specific permission displayed on the original post.

Updated for the new Build 30. Do not use this with older 29 builds, or at least don't read the First Aid book :). I can upload a separate version for 29.4 if people would like.

Changes

- Added books for Foraging, Blunt Maintenance, Blunt Guard, Blade Maintenance, Blade Guard, and First Aid

- Removed the Trapping books added by the mod as they are now present in the vanilla game

The added books have been properly added to the distribution lists as well.

Download link: http://db.tt/8H2OUTZo

I decided that I would upload an updated version of the mod in the absence of Pravus. I can remove it if need be but uploading based off of the lack of a specific permission displayed on the original post.

Updated for the new Build 30. Do not use this with older 29 builds, or at least don't read the First Aid book :). I can upload a separate version for 29.4 if people would like.

Changes

- Added books for Foraging, Blunt Maintenance, Blunt Guard, Blade Maintenance, Blade Guard, and First Aid

- Removed the Trapping books added by the mod as they are now present in the vanilla game

The added books have been properly added to the distribution lists as well.

Download link: http://db.tt/8H2OUTZo

Awesome! Funny thing is just last night I took this and used it as a base for adding a First Aid book. I removed references to everything else but my book but found that the First Aid books where the only ones that worked now. I seems like you need to define EVERY book in the ABM_XPSystem_SkillBook.lua. I assumed that since I was not overriding any game files it would just add my entry to the skill "table". That is apparently not true. I am interested in modding and would like any clarification anyone can offer on this.

EDIT: Also I noticed your First Aid book only has 4 pages while book 2 has 260. Probably a typo. Also the foraging books teach trapping.

Thanks for letting me know! I have updated the file, though the download link is the same. I had the pages set to 4 as a test to make sure it works (I'm impatient). Corrected the issue of the Foraging training the trapping skill too.

The Skillbook array probably overwrites the entire vanilla array which is odd though likely why Pravus had them defined in the original mod.