Responding To NPCs

migulao

Every now and then, you will be in a chat with an NPC, whether it will be abput the weather, or a strategy to take over a grocery store, and while in previous versions you could respond with a reaction (happy face, neutral, angry face), having to click them takes too much time, and, there will be questions where you have to answer with words, and the reaction faces won't help.

So my suggestion is to have a little pop up in the left of the screen, where you could answer with a hotkey, here's an example (Let's pretend the 1, 2 and 3 keys aren't used to switch between weapons):

-------------------------------|
1. We have to move       |              Situation
stealthfully, we can't be  |
afford to be detected.     |     You and Jack are trying to move across
-------------------------------|      a street, but it is filled with zombies,
2. We take em out,         |     Jack whispers to you:
without making too         |      ''Dammit man, there's to many of them,
noise.                             |       what the hell are we going to do?''
-------------------------------|       You make out 3 possible options:
3. We have no choice    |                    <-------

but to go in guns blazin',|
Take em by surprise      |
------------------------------|

Now, say you picked 1 or 2, is it going to work? that's up to the sadistic AI dire... *COUGH* *Ahem*, I mean, erm, The Governor, yeah..., anyway
Anyway, as you are the player, you are in charge of yourself, so if you screw up, it's your own fault, but the NPC is owned by The Governor, so he decides whether the NPC gets caught, or even worse, dies, so even if you manage to stay undetected, the NPC's chance is influenced by his sneaking skill, and The Governor's atitude.

Except if you pick 3, it will probably be influenced by luck and The Governor's atitude more than anything, and we both know how The Governor is...

Also, this could be uses to answer questions after you killed an NPC, and you are talking to their friend, who you found in the next building, you could say:

Yeah, i killed em

Or

No, i didnt see him.

'm2 menus'? Pardon me but I don't follow...

This does look like a nice way of doing it though, and it could time out after a few seconds and the NPC would be like "We can't waste time like this! Follow my lead..." to keep the game flowing and interesting. And at any point in the conversation the guy should be able to cut it short and react to seeing a zombie behind you or being chomped.

I thought the Governor references were unnecessary but I get that you were trying to use him to prove a point.  Otherwise I support the idea!

The Governor is the new 'codename' for the sadistic AI director, Lemmy told us all :D

Yes this is a much faster and more natural way of doing it I think, mouse input in this situation would be too time consuming, and imagine in a more tense situation (an NPC has one of your group members at gunpoint, you're trying to talk him down), where you simply wouldn't have time to hand-eye-coordinate your mouse while also focusing on the situation, having numeric options would make that feel more natural I think.

'm2 menus'? Pardon me but I don't follow...

This does look like a nice way of doing it though, and it could time out after a few seconds and the NPC would be like "We can't waste time like this! Follow my lead..." to keep the game flowing and interesting. And at any point in the conversation the guy should be able to cut it short and react to seeing a zombie behind you or being chomped.

Where did you read M2 menus? what's a M2 menu anyway?

• 3 weeks later...

We could even expand this to responses in questions not related to actions and such, perhaps relationship ones.

Such as,

"Do you trust me?"

1. No. You smell funny and your nose looks weird.

2. Maaaaybe.

3. Yus.

Or for a more serious tone, say that someone just lost their best friend and you stumbled across them, they are mourning their loss.

And they confront you, and you can respond with-

1. Something sentimental to comfort the person, which will build a relation/improve one with them

2.Say something to be de-attached, but won't incur a penalty either way of being attached or getting their angst. (Like "this ain't my problem, im sorry.")

3. Be a total dick and make them feel bad and state, "Your friend lived as a moron, and died as one." Obviously this would deteriorate the relationship you have with this NPC, but having enemies has its uses.

On another note, I am aware sex and so forth is NOT going to be included for obvious reasons. But what if you have a relationship with an NPC or two NPC's have a relationship and you have actions pertaining to them, like for example

1.Hug/kiss/cuddle them

2.handshake them/greet them

3.Slap/insult them.

Such as for greetings or other interactions.

We could even expand this to responses in questions not related to actions and such, perhaps relationship ones.

Such as,

"Do you trust me?"

1. No. You smell funny and your nose looks weird.

2. Maaaaybe.

3. Yus.

Or for a more serious tone, say that someone just lost their best friend and you stumbled across them, they are mourning their loss.

And they confront you, and you can respond with-

1. Something sentimental to comfort the person, which will build a relation/improve one with them

2.Say something to be de-attached, but won't incur a penalty either way of being attached or getting their angst. (Like "this ain't my problem, im sorry.")

3. Be a total dick and make them feel bad and state, "Your friend lived as a moron, and died as one." Obviously this would deteriorate the relationship you have with this NPC, but having enemies has its uses.

On another note, I am aware sex and so forth is NOT going to be included for obvious reasons. But what if you have a relationship with an NPC or two NPC's have a relationship and you have actions pertaining to them, like for example

1.Hug/kiss/cuddle them

2.handshake them/greet them

3.Slap/insult them.

Such as for greetings or other interactions.

I think it should be limited to speech.