1. What controller are you using?
2. Does the controller work?
Yes, the controller works fine with other pc games, for example, rocket league
3. Please check out the new gamepad customization menu in the Options. Does it work, and does it make sense? Is it relevant to the pad you’re using? How could it be improved?
I felt like the overall design was quite simple and easy to understand in places, however, the placement of many boxes and the fact there is so few it can be confusing which button on the controller the selected action is assigned to. With the Dualshock 4 the background image was of an Xbox One controller however, there are not many differences, so it was simple enough to figure out. I think a good improvement to the system could be clearly outlining which button an action is assigned to, for example, Y Button: Open inventory A Button: Interact.
Maybe a menu like the keyboard controls with different sections for character, ui and vehicles but with symbols for the buttons on the controller would be a clearer way to present what each button is for.
4. How does your gamepad feel in-game? Is there anything missing, and has anything changed that you’re used to playing with?
Initially, I tried to play the beta by just plugging in the controller and launching project zomboid however, this led to the direction I was walking to be inverted whenever I used the right stick to aim and customisations made to the layout of buttons would just revert after I clicked apply. Due to this, I had to make the Dualshock 4 act as an Xbox controller and this fixed the issues.
Initially I felt like the controller in game was very clunky due to the character suddenly turning in a different direction after I stopped moving so I would have to use the right stick after stopping to aim at a door or fence to open the door or climb over the fence and also due to the bug with the interact button opening then instantly closing a door.
5. How would you like your gamepad play further improved?
Support on the controller config screen to change more of the buttons or perhaps add button combinations e.g. hold L1 and R1 to open the crafting menu etc. Make the customization of controls a lot clearer as I found it easier to just start a game and mess around pressing buttons to find out what buttons were assigned to what actions. Personally, I would rather have a separate button to toggle or hold down to run rather than based on how far the stick is pressed in one direction, however, this is just my personal preference.
6. Do you play in split-screen? If so, how is this beta playing?
Unfortunately, I don’t play split-screen.
7. In the current game when you use inventory and character windows, your survivor on-screen can still move and perform some actions. If we were to forbid this, and have you either controller as your survivor OR having you navigate the UI, how would you feel? How would this change your playing style?
I think since time is not paused and thus you are in danger of being attacked during looting it would be detrimental to the player to remove their ability to easily and quickly move during looting. If this was implemented, it would probably make me have to make sure a building is completely safe and there are no open entrances to the room I am looting to begin grabbing items and this could slow down gameplay.
8. What other gamepad bugs or weirdness have you noticed in this build?
· If the controller is not acting as an Xbox controller there are some issues with movement and customising setting (see question 4)
· Pressing Square (X on Xbox layout) and not being in front of anything interactable would disable the controller layout not allowing me to loot until I pressed something on the keyboard and then pressed a button on the controller and then selected “switch to player 1”
· The character will suddenly turn in a different direction after I stop walking or running.
· Almost every time I press X to interact with a door it seems to double press the interact ending up in the door shutting in my face immediately after opening.
· Upon entering any car, the game would immediately kick me to the main menu and when entering back into the game I cannot access my inventory or loot and the right stick no longer aims properly and instead lock the character the way they were facing whilst moving this is fixed upon restarting the game
· Holding L1 and R1 would also sometimes kick me to the main menu.
9. This build also contains a java lwjgl upgrade. Have you noticed any changes in game performance and stability, especially at higher resolutions?
I play the game locked at 60 FPS and didn’t notice any dips below 60 on the live or controller build, however, I could not test out the framerate in cars for the controller beta due to being kicked to the main menu.
10. What's the Number 1 most important issue that you'd like to see resolved in the next update to this beta?
Allowing the entire controller to be used and button combos e.g. L/R3 and the Dualshock 4 Touchpad and L1+R1.
I hope that this helps, DM me if you need me to clarify or expand on anything