Zombies Having Traits

Jasonface900

My idea is that zombies should be generated with random traits. For example, the player trait, strong, would make zombies destroy walls, doors and barricades faster. I'm not sure if this has ever been suggested, but personally, I think it would be a really be a good idea. As far as I know, this random trait generator should be relatively easy to make. That's just as far as I know, though. I apologize for any errors in the format of this suggestion, because this is my first post.

This would be a cool option for people who want some randomization for zombies.

Just make it a toggle-able game mode option.

When turned on Perhaps an extra panel for setting up trait chances for zombies.

Give a low % chance for traits as you don't want all zombies being the same.

Give each trait a different effect for zombies.

An obese zombie might be slow but it might take more effort to kill it. If that zombie also had stout/strong (Extra scratching/biting power) it could be a deadly combination.

If you are talking about traits, to give some random examples you might think I think about some of these:

• strong/weak (hit harder/weaker)
  • tall/small (faster/slower + long/short range)
  • thin/bulky ( hit harder/weaker + more/less hp)
  • longhaired/unhaired (burn faster if getting in contact with fire if ever implemented)
  • one-eyed/two-eyed (see better or not)
  • pants/no-pants ( pants or no pants)
  • male/female (man or woman)
  • young/old (easier dismembering of body parts + lower hp)

Traits like these I think, shouldn't have too much influence on a characters behavior. Stronger persons doesn't bend steel pipes all day, while agile persons don't run all the time.

Same as survivors traits give some bonus/malus on attributes, traits could be used for zombies to classify them and give restrictions or bonus skills. A fat/small zombie might be unable to climb over a fence while a very strong could be able to smash through a wall if he tries long enough. Little zombies can hide under bed/table/whatever.

Personally I like the differences in speed/strength/hp which are already implemented. Still I was quite unhappy while theyre all looking kind of the same. It shouldn't be too much but different looks would make the horde more individual and player can discover problematic zombies by scouting them before meeting.

I DO look forward to the day when we can see why the slow zombies are hanging back from a pack. I always figured it was beacuse they weren't as 'fresh' as the quicker ones. Can't wait for the models and animations to be polished in the future :P

Anyway. The non-physical traits, such as brooding, light drinker, or future ones to do with smoking or what-not -could- still have an affect on the resulting zombie. Say, if a character was clumsy and a smoker, their muscles could be underdeveloped, which could lead to a weaker/clumsier zombie. A brooding person could have been on a heavy course of antidepressants, and drinking heavily,which would lead to a similar effect. An unhealthier, and likely a little weaker, body that becomes zombified. Of course, there might not be a point to doing this kind of trait to zombie trait fiddling, as the player won't be able to tell when they see the zombie shambling around.

That being said, it'd be good to have a sickly looking zombie (sicklier?) that reeks of tobacco smoke, and has a few packs of smokes on their person. Something like that. Hell, just being able to spot the zombie with the 'athletic' trait in a horde because they're wearing a tracksuit could be enough.

Anyway. The non-physical traits, such as brooding, light drinker, or future ones to do with smoking or what-not -could- still have an affect on the resulting zombie. 

Oh noe! Drunken zombie smoking at the corner!   :-)

Go home zombay! You is drunk!

I'd like that, but not personal traits and such, as the zombies personality has been destroyed and all. But its a good suggestion! :D

The only traits carried on to zombies would be only physical. Ex: Zombies having hard-of-hearing or bad vision. That's what I meant when I said traits would be carried on to zombies.

Edit: btw, I might have bad writing, because I'm on the job and using my phone.

But they are all rotten, their physical traits wouildn't matter, the only strong bit in them is the bone.

Maybe as a sandbox option, but I don't see it happening in survival

So you're saying that they don't have muscles? Then how do they move? If what you're saying is true, then zombies wouldn't be able to move at all. Zombies would keep physical traits because most would not change. A hard of hearing zombie would stay that way.

But bone doesn't move by itself. :o

Zombies shamble for a reason, they are still strong enough to move, but their meat is too rotten to run (except for the freshly turned).

But they are all rotten, their physical traits wouildn't matter, the only strong bit in them is the bone.

So you're saying that they don't have muscles? Then how do they move? If what you're saying is true, then zombies wouldn't be able to move at all. Zombies would keep physical traits because most would not change. A hard of hearing zombie would stay that way.

I said the meat is rotten, not... well, vanished. 

Zombies shamble for a reason, they are still strong enough to move, but their meat is too rotten to run (except for the freshly turned).

I do like the idea, not of special zombies, but of zombies which would be identifiable as having certain traits. Like the tracksuit example, I think it would be an interesting addition to the game. Maybe somebody could create a mod for it and see how it plays out.

The zombies would be randomized, kinda like the system of player traits. I do like the idea of having identifiable zombies.

But bone doesn't move by itself. :o

I said the meat is rotten, not... well, vanished. 

Its not that they can't run its that they don't have the coordination to do so.  I have read that zombies don't rot in the same way that a normal corpse does.  Don't know if that applies in PZ lore though.