How to soft reset a server

Mekare

I have found this command

-Dsoftreset

and should be in your ProjectZomboidServer.bat, looks like

".\jre64\bin\java.exe" -Xms3072m -Xmx3072m -Djava.library.path=./ -cp lwjgl.jar;lwjgl_util.jar;sqlitejdbc-v056.jar;trove-3.0.3.jar;./ -Dsoftreset zombie.network.GameServerPAUSE

But the problem is, it dosnt works!!! There are no loot respawns. I want just softreset and no delete all (hardreset).

Anybody knows how to solve it?

1) In your project zomboid folder (the directory that has your project-zomboid.exe file, should be something like C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Project Zomboid or something simular), create a new text file. 

2) Inside your text file, paste the following text:

".\jre64\bin\java.exe" -Dsoftreset  -Djava.library.path=./ -cp lwjgl.jar;lwjgl_util.jar;sqlitejdbc-v056.jar;./ zombie.network.GameServer
PAUSE

3) Save the file as ProjectZomboidServer_SoftWipe.bat

Running that bat file will start the soft reset process.  However, you're not ready to run it just yet.

4) Navigate to your servertest folder.  It should be something like users/UserName/Zomboid/Multiplayer/servertest or whatever, but I can't remember off the top of my head - writing this from work.  It's the folder that has the thousands and thousands of map_XXXXX.bin and zombie_XXXXX.bin files.  You'll know it when you find it.

When you find this folder, you want to Copy-Paste ALL of the zombie_XXXXX.bin files and STORE THEM somewhere else.  The reason why you are doing this is because running the SoftWipe.bat will delete these files, and you don't want that.

5) Right click "Project Zomboid" in your steam library.  Click Properties (or details? whatever) and change your version to the Beta branch (IWBUMS).

The reason why you are doing this is because if you run the SoftWipe.bat using build 27 #1 stable, it'll run out of memory after processing only like 20 files or so at at time.  This is unacceptable, because you have thousands upon thousands of files to process.  Thankfully switching to the IWBUMS version first and then running the .bat file resolves this error.  You can always change back to the stable version when you're done with the entire soft-reset procedure.

6) Ok!  PZ is set to IWBUMS branch and all the zombies_XXXXX.bin files are tucked away somewhere?  You're ready to go.  Run the SoftReset.bat and go get some lunch, this will take a while.

7) Once the bat file is done, navigate back to your users/UserName/Zomboid/Multiplayer/servertest  directory.  Look for the map_t.bin file inside this folder, and delete that sucker - that little guy is responsible for time.  If you successfully restart the entire server but forget to delete this file, then you will have repopulated your entire server with rotten food (d'oh!), so don't forget this little detail.  Takes only 2 seconds to do but can cost you two hours of time doing it all over again if you forget.

8) Take all the zombies_XXXX.bin files you backed up earlier and move them to the folder (you should still be looking inside users/UserName/Zomboid/Multiplayer/servertest or whatever it is).

9) Boom. You're done.  Hopefully I didn't screw something up, this was all off the top of my head; let me know and I'll edit the instructions accordingly.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Zyros,

I have some question want to ask you when i done soft reset. Thank you for your help!

Q1: bakup and put those zombie_XXXXX.bin back : Do zombie corpse still exist ?

Q2: Would i backup the server option (servertext.ini) before do soft reset ?

Q3: after soft reset, is all containers(include player's) be clear up?

• 2 weeks later...

1) In your project zomboid folder (the directory that has your project-zomboid.exe file, should be something like C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Project Zomboid or something simular), create a new text file. 

".\jre64\bin\java.exe" -Dsoftreset  -Djava.library.path=./ -cp lwjgl.jar;lwjgl_util.jar;sqlitejdbc-v056.jar;./ zombie.network.GameServer

PAUSE

Running that bat file will start the soft reset process.  However, you're not ready to run it just yet.

4) Navigate to your servertest folder.  It should be something like users/UserName/Zomboid/Multiplayer/servertest or whatever, but I can't remember off the top of my head - writing this from work.  It's the folder that has the thousands and thousands of map_XXXXX.bin and zombie_XXXXX.bin files.  You'll know it when you find it.

When you find this folder, you want to Copy-Paste ALL of the zombie_XXXXX.bin files and STORE THEM somewhere else.  The reason why you are doing this is because running the SoftWipe.bat will delete these files, and you don't want that.

5) Right click "Project Zomboid" in your steam library.  Click Properties (or details? whatever) and change your version to the Beta branch (IWBUMS).

The reason why you are doing this is because if you run the SoftWipe.bat using build 27 #1 stable, it'll run out of memory after processing only like 20 files or so at at time.  This is unacceptable, because you have thousands upon thousands of files to process.  Thankfully switching to the IWBUMS version first and then running the .bat file resolves this error.  You can always change back to the stable version when you're done with the entire soft-reset procedure.

6) Ok!  PZ is set to IWBUMS branch and all the zombies_XXXXX.bin files are tucked away somewhere?  You're ready to go.  Run the SoftReset.bat and go get some lunch, this will take a while.

7) Once the bat file is done, navigate back to your users/UserName/Zomboid/Multiplayer/servertest  directory.  Look for the map_t.bin file inside this folder, and delete that sucker - that little guy is responsible for time.  If you successfully restart the entire server but forget to delete this file, then you will have repopulated your entire server with rotten food (d'oh!), so don't forget this little detail.  Takes only 2 seconds to do but can cost you two hours of time doing it all over again if you forget.

8) Take all the zombies_XXXX.bin files you backed up earlier and move them to the folder (you should still be looking inside users/UserName/Zomboid/Multiplayer/servertest or whatever it is).

9) Boom. You're done.  Hopefully I didn't screw something up, this was all off the top of my head; let me know and I'll edit the instructions accordingly.

Also, the bolded part (#2) is "PAUSE" included in what you write in the text file?

I'm wondering about those 3 questions as well. Can anybody answer them?

i did the soft reset 3 times. some information as below.

Q1: bakup and put those zombie_XXXXX.bin back : Do zombie corpse still exist ?

==> the zombie corpses will be cleared

Q2: Would i backup the server option (servertext.ini) before do soft reset ?

==> the ResetID=xxxxx(in serverOption.ini) should be save before you do the soft reset.  

so i still backup those files; serverOption.ini, servertest_sandbox.lua, and the other two spawn files

Q3: after soft reset, is all containers(include player's) be clear up?

==> All containers will re-loot, except player's inventory and their back pack.

Also, the bolded part (#2) is "PAUSE" included in what you write in the text file?

it just the same as ProjectZomboidServer.bat

• 1 month later...

any one know what the soft reset bat file text is for build 29 as it is not the same and it just crashes on start up?

File a bugreport with whatever text there is in the console included when it crashes. Add the word "pause", without quotation marks, as the last line of the bat to make the window does not close when it crashes.

any one know what the soft reset bat file text is for build 29 as it is not the same and it just crashes on start up?

File a bugreport with whatever text there is in the console included when it crashes. Add the word "pause", without quotation marks, as the last line of the bat to make the window does not close when it crashes.

PAUSE

i got it to work for build 29 you need to Edit the soft reset bat file to say this

".\jre64\bin\java.exe" -Dsoftreset  -Djava.library.path=./ -cp lwjgl.jar;lwjgl_util.jar;sqlitejdbc-v056.jar;trove-3.0.3.jar;uncommons-maths-1.2.3.jar;./ zombie.network.GameServer
PAUSE

the zombies now repopulate them self no need to copy paste zombie xxxx_xxxx files