Soft Reset

Breaker

Hey, I think I know what's the problem..

There is a very laggy place in the map - it is the center of West Point (http://pzmap.crash-override.net/#0.8108014095936585,0.14097306193695452,348.4133915574964).
When there are a lot of dead bodies there, this place freezes like hell.
So, I think this chunks run soft reset out of memory, because I was playing PZ on my own server with friends, we killed lots of zombies in Muldraugh... And the soft reset was successful. (without errors)

• 3 weeks later...

I found a work around guys. I can make soft wipes work for the whole map its kind of a pain but it works!

1. Start a soft wipe.

2. Take note of where it stops.(Soft clearing chunk: map_1095_944.bin)

3. Go to C/users/"your pc name"/Zomboid/Multiplayer/servertest and cut (not copy) all files leading up to where the soft wipe stopped.

4. Paste those files in a new folder.

5. Restart softwipe and with the last soft wiped files gone from the servertest folder it will pickup where it left off.

6. Repeat 1-4 untill you have the new folder containing the rebuilt serverfiles in its folder. now copy paste those files back to the original servertest folder and you have your full soft wipe.

I cant belive it was this simple. lmao have put hours into figuring this shit out.

With this method you dont really need to change your ram value on the soft wipe bat either.

When you say soft reset worked, does this leave the player built stuff alone and just regenerate loot and zombies?

Sorry If this is a redundant question, I just wanted to clarify it.

I found this:

http://pzwiki.net/wiki/Version_history

"Soft world reset. Will remove zombies, bodies, loot, reset all containers in world. Will leave all construction in place."

So if this indeed works that would be GREEEEAAAT!

Also having a problem locating this elusive .bat file? What is it's exact name and where is it?

Thanks.

Actually there isn't a batch file, could someone post their windows batch file or something?

There isn't one, depending on the version. As you can see in this thread, it's not . . . always . . . doable.

You can open the ProjectZomboidServer.bat and just add -Dsoftreset before the -xmn and -xmx values, if you'd like to try it.

Just to add, on a Linux server you can do the same in the dedi-server.sh file. Start server with that -Dsoft* line. When done, remove line, start server. Make sure you have plenty of memory and no other processes running. Mixed experiences with this but it`s something.

There isn't one, depending on the version. As you can see in this thread, it's not . . . always . . . doable.

You can open the ProjectZomboidServer.bat and just add -Dsoftreset before the -xmn and -xmx values, if you'd like to try it.

Well we tried a soft reset.

It wiped everything. All characters, all items, everything. It basically did a hard reset and DID NOT do a soft reset at all.

i just used the ProjectZomboidServer_SoftWipe.bat with the mem perimeters removed and it worked , put the zombies_xx.bin files in and it was fine, also you have to back up your serverOptions.ini or itll reset your char's when you rejoin.

i just used the ProjectZomboidServer_SoftWipe.bat with the mem perimeters removed and it worked , put the zombies_xx.bin files in and it was fine, also you have to back up your serverOptions.ini or itll reset your char's when you rejoin.

Well it took 2 hrs about to get the soft wipe to complete. I am not certain if we backed the .ini file up or not.<----

(ok here's the thing, we didn't know we needed to move the .ini file. Will the .ini file save characters and all player built stuff?)

Is it supposed to delete all player made structures? Cause it did that as well. It literally did a what a Hard Reset would do. Nothing was saved.

We rolled back to a previous backup to save everything.

Also, as I have mentioned, we don't have a ProjectZomboidServer_SoftWipe.bat and someone else posted that you can jsut add that to the existing .bat file and it will work.

Well it didn't.

There needs to be some clear step by step process, we're shooting in the dark here and not getting any good results.

when i did it it kept the player built structures and crates and the barricaded buildings. it only reset loot (world loot & loot in player crates) and zombies. in the serverOptions.ini is a line that says "ResetID=XXXXXXXX" where XXXXXXXX is a set of numbers if these numbers change it reset my chars, if i backed up my serverOptions.ini and replaced it after the soft wipe it didnt.

".\jre64\bin\java.exe" -Dsoftreset  -Djava.library.path=./ -cp lwjgl.jar;lwjgl_util.jar;sqlitejdbc-v056.jar;./ zombie.network.GameServer
PAUSE

^^^thats the ProjectZomboidServer_SoftWipe.bat , create a new txt file put those 2 lines in it and then save it as a .bat file.

i removed the mem perimeters because i have 32gb ram.

also i went in the zomboid/multiplayer/servertest folder and cut out the zombie_xxx.bin files and put them in another folder til the wipe was done.

it took like 45 minutes to wipe the 65,975 or so map_xxx.bin files clean in my servertest folder tho ,and watch the screen the softwipe.bat may error and if it does youll wanna get the name of the last file it completed, which is the one above the one it would be currently doing when it erred and cut all the file from the first one to that one and paste them in another folder then start the softwipe.bat again till it fully completes .

when i did it it kept the player built structures and crates and the barricaded buildings. it only reset loot (world loot & loot in player crates) and zombies. in the serverOptions.ini is a line that says "ResetID=XXXXXXXX" where XXXXXXXX is a set of numbers if these numbers change it reset my chars, if i backed up my serverOptions.ini and replaced it after the soft wipe it didnt.

".\jre64\bin\java.exe" -Dsoftreset  -Djava.library.path=./ -cp lwjgl.jar;lwjgl_util.jar;sqlitejdbc-v056.jar;./ zombie.network.GameServer

PAUSE

^^^thats the ProjectZomboidServer_SoftWipe.bat , create a new txt file put those 2 lines in it and then save it as a .bat file.

i removed the mem perimeters because i have 32gb ram.

also i went in the zomboid/multiplayer/servertest folder and cut out the zombie_xxx.bin files and put them in another folder til the wipe was done.

it took like 45 minutes to wipe the 65,975 or so map_xxx.bin files clean in my servertest folder tho ,and watch the screen the softwipe.bat may error and if it does youll wanna get the name of the last file it completed, which is the one above the one it would be currently doing when it erred and cut all the file from the first one to that one and paste them in another folder then start the softwipe.bat again till it fully completes .

Awesome thank you for a very clear response.

Yea we thought it might be related to the ResetID.

i also had a issue the last time i softwiped, map_meta.bin and map_t.bin (both are in the servertest folder ) didnt seem to be in the folder after the wipe was done, so i started a new map and cut those files from the folder and added them to my main map and it was fine after that. im not sure if its supposed to delete those when it softwipes or not but you may wanna back those up or make new ones.