Your opinion regarding MP 'World Reset'

MonkeyDrone

PZ MP World Reset  

105 members have voted

1. 1. When should the world be reset?

Hey everyone,

I have been thinking about this long and hard since yesterday. When is it the 'right' time to reset the world so that we start from a clean sheet? Overtime, everything will be looted and gone and there will be nothing to stock up new players. Keeping that in mind that the online world is made for everyone, we want all to have that 'small tiny' chance of finding some loot without having to search for 4+ hours only to find out that a specific group is just massacring everyone and keeping all the loot in some hideout.

I'm asking what is the time-frame we should keep a world alive before resetting. Days or week. Two weeks max is i'm willing to live with but that is really far stretched.

All your opinions are welcome on how fast the world should be resetted and how would it help? :)

NOTE: This suggestion is for 'Public' servers. Private servers can keep running that one single world they got forever if they wish it to be =]

With the current version if your running a public server that gets alot of traffic you might consider something like every two days.

Currently due to the way multilayer works there's no real late game for big groups of people, so you might be better off concentrating on the early game for now.

Exactly what i am thinking. Late-game doesn't have much to offer. The game is about 'This is the story of how you died' and not about how you managed to fend off the zombies and stayed alive forever by growing food and drinking rain water :P

The only problem you have with constant world resets is that any structures built by players will be destroyed, could make people a bit annoyed that their work is being destroyed on a regular basis.

Well you have to consider this Connall. People have the ability to setup private servers. People can do as they please on them and build structures that can last for weeks on end without any issues.

When you have a public server, you need to take into consideration the new players joining in all the time. We want them to be immersed into the world as much as the old player that logged in 12 hours ago.

I've been in discussion with Eliakoh and still am currently discussing how life on MP should work and how we can achieve the most of out if for the majority public. So far me and Eliakoh agree on two things. A 24 hour reset would be the best course of action and the underlying philosophy behind this is "How do I die today?" when you connect to a 'Public PVP Multipayer server'.

I hope I have painted a clearer picture about the world reset and what we want to get out of the public MP PVP servers. (tophat)

Note that it's not some kind of rule that will persist over time, we are talking here about a pre-alpha, and the need to satisfy as many players as possible.

In the future, when we'll have mods, admin tools and commands, etc. every server should have its own rules about resetting (or not) the world regularly.

Currently it's very hard for us, server admins, to decide when to reset, but we need to find a regular cycle so everybody knows when the server is going to reset and can play with this in mind.

The only problem you have with constant world resets is that any structures built by players will be destroyed, could make people a bit annoyed that their work is being destroyed on a regular basis.

Well you have to consider this Connall. People have the ability to setup private servers. People can do as they please on them and build structures that can last for weeks on end without any issues.

When you have a public server, you need to take into consideration the new players joining in all the time. We want them to be immersed into the world as much as the old player that logged in 12 hours ago.

I've been in discussion with Eliakoh and still am currently discussing how life on MP should work and how we can achieve the most of out if for the majority public. So far me and Eliakoh agree on two things. A 24 hour reset would be the best course of action and the underlying philosophy behind this is "How do I die today?" when you connect to a 'Public PVP Multipayer server'.

I hope I have painted a clearer picture about the world reset and what we want to get out of the public MP PVP servers. (tophat)

I'm not slighting you or anything, heck I've found having a closed of server is pretty much pointless at this point so I've had to open mine up.

All I'm saying it's a bit of a downer that people can build up these structures have memorable moments then the next day they're gone and it's back to square one. Not that I don't understand the reasons or anything, it's just my opinion on how it feels. Since it doesn't really feel like you're surviving any more and it's just about killing zombies since by the days end it's back to square one.

Surely the server requires a bit of history? Player built buildings can help provide that history. Make it more immersive and what not. I'm curious about these talks myself, if at all wouldn't mind participating.

Note that it's not some kind of rule that will persist over time, we are talking here about a pre-alpha, and the need to satisfy as many players as possible.

In the future, when we'll have mods, admin tools and commands, etc. every server should have its own rules about resetting (or not) the world regularly.

Currently it's very hard for us, server admins, to decide when to reset, but we need to find a regular cycle so everybody knows when the server is going to reset and can play with this in mind.

Hopefully that will resolve a lot of issues on the whole, since there's very little to be done when a player wrecks havoc which is a bit of a pain. Out of curiosity what's the length you guys are getting for how long it takes for supplies to become really rare? Surely that should be what you're measuring this from when deciding when to reset the world? I mean if it's reset too early then it's a solution without a problem.

Edit: As time goes on, I begin to see what you mean. New players who connect will struggle to find supplies unless they make the long trek over to a different town, or at least a sizeable walk to find things. I don't think the problem is lack of supplies, as much as it's to do with the fact there's only one spawn point. So supplies around that area are almost gone instantly.

We could add in something that allowed for resets to be carried out by the server without a save folder delete, that perhaps preserved anywhere with construction as an option, if you wanted to do it that way. To be honest though the challenge is making the game fun to join at any time, we want public servers that are years after the outbreak with big player constructed towns, perhaps with its own economy, perhaps crossing servers connected together, trading and whatnot. We want to provide enough fun with features like hunting and trapping that its possible to join a server well into its life and make a start. So catering too much for server resets is admitting defeat in what we want to accomplish. But this may help so you can reset servers but retain anyone's handiwork.

We could add in something that allowed for resets to be carried out by the server without a save folder delete, that perhaps preserved anywhere with construction as an option, if you wanted to do it that way. To be honest though the challenge is making the game fun to join at any time, we want public servers that are years after the outbreak with big player constructed towns, perhaps with its own economy, perhaps crossing servers connected together, trading and whatnot. We want to provide enough fun with features like hunting and trapping that its possible to join a server well into its life and make a start. So catering too much for server resets is admitting defeat in what we want to accomplish. But this may help so you can reset servers but retain anyone's handiwork.

It's something I really want to aim with my server, it's why I'm trying to delay a reset for as long as possible. I think the problem is a lot of players (in my server) aren't thinking long term, they're only thinking short term supplies. That and people taking too much of what they don't need, so supplies dry up and then those players never connect again.

I have a couple of people trying to start farms and trading factions in the server which is great, and I think they could do well, but if players don't start farming in the beginning of the servers life span it becomes harder to do it further down the line.

That is what i loved when i joined the first MP public server.

The game really felt apocalyptic, everything was looted, you had luck if you found a frying pan and a mayonisse bottle.

It felt great.

The thing is, right now we also need the migration system in place.

The servers after 7 hours start feeling empty of zombies, right now Muldragh in one of the public servers was empty. No more than 2 zombies in the highway.

personnaly im against any kind of reset, just reseting loot would kill the game since there wouldnt be any rarity at all. We need to encourage long term gameplay. trading, building and stuff. the way i see it the job is the key to that so that everyone can be helpfull,

ur a construction worker , thats nice since only them can build (insert whatever kind of thing).   Ur a park ranger , you can (cultivate berrie?^plant tree)

we would have course need new jjob(farmer,soldier,courrier, etc..) and some redefinition  of the old one but job specialization could very fun to work with to create community and it would force player who want big stuff., to work together toward that goal.

Imo reseting is something that should be used ONLY in an extreme situation !

The scarcity of food and items is what makes the game lives ! Or else we'll just end up with shitload of loot and live on our own indefinitely...
A cool thing for new people would be to spawn with maybe a couple days worth of food, and make them spawn on different points of the map of course.

Maybe a mod with some helicopters para-dropping some crates of canned food once a week or every two weeks could be fun, you would be alerted something has been dropped, but you'd have to look for it, might lead to some cool RP moments ! (that might ofc attract some Z as well)

Also hunting and trapping, as lemmy said, will most likely be a very useful way to answer your needs !

On a zombie distribution related note, I can't wait for the migration system to be there ! Muldraugh feels very empty passed a certain point.

also what happen when it reset do player get reset too?

#1 if yes then its crazy to retrain carpentry to 4-5 every 3 day

#2 if no  then player will super load themselve before reset and repear in a brand new world fully loaded, which would unbalance game in soo many way.

I think character's don't unless the admin wipes them out as well.On Eliakoh's server I had a bunch of stuff and then the wipe happened, and my character still had the stuff - so I am not 100% sure.

#2 if no  then player will super load themselve before reset and repear in a brand new world fully loaded, which would unbalance game in soo many way.

I think character's don't unless the admin wipes them out as well.On Eliakoh's server I had a bunch of stuff and then the wipe happened, and my character still had the stuff - so I am not 100% sure.

Server trusts the client right now.

You have to delete your saves after the server is wiped.

Welp now I know :) I assume later on the character data will be saved server side?

Welp now I know :) I assume later on the character data will be saved server side?

It'll have to be. ;)

Hey Lemmy,

Thanks for sharing your vision of how you want the servers to be running. Seeing your vision gives me a new perspective and a bigger, brighter vision to have on my own public server. I personally do not want anything to be ever, ever, ever, ever, ever resetted. Once a world is made, its home!

These are currently the things and how the game mechanics could need adjustment in sorting out the current issues facing the server. These are just what I have going through my thought process.

Currently:

1) Players spawning in a fixed location.

Everyone is being given the same starting point to start their life in PZ. This leads to an immediate loot fast surrounding the

starting area which is picked clean in a few hours. After that it's just a long long time of running to get to another part of town,

only having to be killed and coming back with a new character at the same spawning point where nothing exists. This is my biggest beef

with the multiplayer so far, and i know its a test version so i'm putting it out here.

2) Resupply of Zombie Hordes and minor new items.

I would love to have a server running for as long as it can run, with a world evolving forever. But we have to take into consideration

that the world should never be void of zombies as it currently gets after players are done ransacking everything and cleaning up whole

of Muldraugh. Zombies need to be replenished over time and old bodies need to disappear. 'Consider them as eaten by other

zombies'.Otherwise the world will be full of dead zombies everywhere. You can even motivate people to burn the zombie bodies, it starts

as a foul stench that pops up as a moodle. The stench is nearby and players have to locate it before they start feeling sick, in name

of realism afterall. Who would stay in a motel while there are dead bodies lying around. It's up to you and your team to decide on how

to tackle this issue in the end. There could be a zombie migration every X hours, where x is randomly decided after every wave of

zombies.

Supplies are critical and maybe they can be replenished from time to time, nothing major but minor amounts to give new players a

chance. A player joins a world and has no friends, whole of Muldraugh has been emptied, bases have been made and are protected. The

only thing players can do is try to sneak in and steal stuff, often ending in their demise if not so.

These current issues is what makes us want to reset the world. If these problems are properly addressed, i do not see a 'reset' to ever be even considered for a world. You have what you have, and a reset would comprise of basically starting the world from scratch.