Character server carry over

TheDrifter

I haven't seen anyone talking about how characters will work with servers. I assume that whenever you join a server or create one you also create a new character for it. Do the devs have any plans to make it so you can port your character to a new server?

Just wondering. Plus I have been having this crazy dream of buying 4 dedicated servers and having 4 custom maps and allowing people to travel map to map with the same character.

Just wondering. Plus I have been having this crazy dream of buying 4 dedicated servers and having 4 custom maps and allowing people to travel map to map with the same character.

That's really super duper crazy considering you could just mod them all together on onr single server so the character can travel there without disconnecting.

I haven't seen anyone talking about how characters will work with servers. I assume that whenever you join a server or create one you also create a new character for it. Do the devs have any plans to make it so you can port your character to a new server?

Wont this make some kind of server hopping thing ala DayZ?

Well no cause I dont mean the same map, what I was thinking is 4 maps all different. and once a player gets to an edge of the map it would load a lua script that would start a countdown and once that countdown ended it would kick the player out of that server and that map and load up the next map on a different server.

That's really super duper crazy considering you could just mod them all together on onr single server so the character can travel there without disconnecting.

But with (dozens/hundreds) of users on a single server and thousands of zombies wouldnt it start to get really laggy?

• 7 months later...

Wait, can player characters travel between servers without losing their loot in DayZ?

Wait, can player characters travel between servers without losing their loot in DayZ?

Yeah. It was pretty heavily exploited. People would assault each other's bases by logging out, walking to the location of the base on a different server, then logging back in so they'd come back online inside the base.

Yeah. It was pretty heavily exploited. People would assault each other's bases by logging out, walking to the location of the base on a different server, then logging back in so they'd come back online inside the base.

*Sits in a corner waiting for a steam sale*

I'm of the opinion that the less authority the client has, the better the game will be for multiplayer.  The client should really be nothing more than the portal through which the player interacts with the server - which, granted, puts a considerable load on the server; however it also prevents people from running many of the easy client side hacks and cheats.

Porting characters from one server to another should never be up to the player; rather it should be up to the server admins to decide if they want to accept character files from an outside source, or not.  IMO, of course.  I'm just hoping that the current state of affairs for PZ MP is due to it being an early beta version rather than because it's the actual plan.