Silencer and HomeMade Silencer

kilroy23

I am posting this to get peoples opinion on my idea for a multi-part mod/addon so please feel free to comment as you please just keep it PG-13 ;-)

My idea is this, I want to add pistol silencers to the game. I want to add a silencer that can be found in a few select locations in the maps, and cannot be crafted but is unbreakable. I also want to add a HomeMade silencer that will not be found in the map at all but can be crafted and is breakable. The normal silencer would have attributes along these lines:

Silencer

Weight = 0.5

Type = normal

DisplayName = Silencer

Icon = An image will need to be made for this

Unbreakable

(not sure how I would enforce the condition of the silencer on the pistol but I will get to that)

The HomeMade Silencer would have attributes similar to:

HomeMade Silencer

Weight = 1

Type = normal

DisplayName = HM Silencer

Icon = An image will need to be made for this

Max Condition: 10
Condition Loss Chance: 1 in 15 Uses

(not sure how I would enforce the condition of the silencer on the pistol but I will get to that)

I have not really decided on the crafting requirements for the HomeMade silencer (Part of the reason for this post) but I did do some research online and this is a very simplified version of my findings:

Wood dowel or metal pipe (If metal piping then I would have to add that to the game as well)

Tape (believe there is tape in the game)

Hack Saw (in game)

Razors (in game)

Glue (in game)

Once you had found the silencer or made a homemade silencer in the game you would then be able to craft the silencer with the pistol and get a silenced pistol with attributes similar to this:

Silenced Pistol
Weight = 2.5 (maybe 3, haven't decided)
Type = Firearm

Damage = 1.50 -2.80

Range = 0.61 - 15 (notice the range is reduced 3 units from the vanilla pistol)

SwingTime = 0.5

DisplayName = Silenced Pistol

So to finish up, I would really like your feedback and ideas. Feel free to give me a reality check if you think I need it, but honestly I believe this is all possible  :P

Also if you have some free time and are feeling generous I could really use help making icon images for these items, both for in the inventory and later for use as the weapon in game. You would receive not only my thanks but your name in any and all credits (and the warm tingly feeling people get from helping others  :lol:)

I won't comment on "silencers" and their home made variants myself (you can search for the threads in the suggestions forum if you're interested in my opinion) but it's noteworthy that having a suppressor on your pistol doesn't actually lower the range in any noticeable way.

• 3 months later...

Need to find a way to make the silencer only last one, maybe 2 clips.

Also, it should not make the gun silent, but maybe drop the SoundVolume=75  down to 45 or 50? enough to draw less attention, but still give the gun shooting the risk of detection.

Here's some suppressor info:http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2010/11/gun-silencers-dont-make-them-anywhere-near-silent/

If you're going to mod in the supressor you should probably mod in incredibly rare subsonic ammo as well. At least it would be slightly more realistic

Well it depends on the barrel of the gun somewhat but lots of pistol ammo is subsonic, like for instance take a look at the table on this page: http://www.chuckhawks.com/handgun_power_chart.htm

Anything below 1,125 ft/s is considered subsonic (this changes with altitude obviously but it is a relatively good indicator). Cool thing is that if you look at MV you will see that 'usually' JHP rounds travel slower than sound whereas 'usually' FMJ rounds travel slightly faster. Again this is not a rule or anything and exceptions do occur based on the manufacturing specifications and that of the firing gun itself, it might be a good way for our infamous average joe to tell the difference and/or find ammo better suited for silencing in an apocalyptic environment.

And to Aricane:

Nice mod (pillow silencer) dude, you should perhaps add a .22 pistol, it ought to be naturally more silent than higher calibres even though it wont necessarily be a gun you can silence due to them usually having insane MV compared to higher calibres. Although things like the famous Walther PP shoot at sub-sonic speeds so it is still possible if you wish to design it as such.

EDIT: Cat silencer too sounds like a brilliant idea, but will it be screwed onto the gun or will you need to find twine and glue for that crafting recipe? hahaha

Edited by Viceroy

It is worth noting that even with ammo down to ~900 fps the speed tends to fluctuate on a variety of factors and most ammo that's not labeled as subsonic will frequently still break the sound barrier and cause sonic booms even if its average is lower. 

Indeed that is true, especially with lesser striated patterns in the barrel, did you know even some hand-pumped air guns can reach speeds of 830-980f/ps (this is naturally not as likely to break the sound barrier as many air guns specifically attempt to avoid it due to the impact it has on accuracy due to not being rifled). Certainly would not want old man Janse on the hilltop to shoot me with one of those for stealing lemons.

Edit: Although it has to be said that .45 rounds are notorious for being subsonic in most cases. (game pistol is 9mm though)

Edited by Viceroy

The only .45 I've ever shot was a magnum, and fired probably close to 1400 fps, so I can't speak about normal 45's.

Edit: Wouldn't be surprised, though, as the .45's pack a lot of mass with relatively little powder (when compared to, say, a rifle bullet of comparable size).

Indeed, I have shot a Colt 1911 and then a brazillian knock-off and a chinese knock-off (I forget their names lol), all of them were I think around 830 f/ps (Genuine Colt obviously had the best ballistics of the lot and tended not to kick back in odd directions like the others..). Also things like tommy-guns (.45 ACP) and UMP45's (again .45 ACP) are also subsonic, with the UMP intended for special forces it comes as no surprise that they opted for a version that can be 'silenced' https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UuT4vz4GVw.

However, just as you previously pointed out, 9mm often exceeds the speed of sound and thus the less popular versions (also lesser known) of the UMP, such as the UMP40 and UMP9 are actually louder than their bigger calibre brother. Especially the UMP9 which if I remember correctly cannot be suppressed, I think it does not even have a flash supressor.

That Magnum must have kicked like a mule though, would love to get my greasy little paws on one at some point.

Check out this table, could be a nice guideline for weapon sound:

(Not sure how accurate it actually is though)

dB Environmental noise 0 Threshold of hearing 10 Normal breathing 20 Rusting leaves 30 Whisper at 30 feet 40 Quiet street 50 Interior home noise 60 Conversation 70 Crowded restaurant 75 Kitchen appliances 80 City traffic 85 Hearing damage possible 90 Lawn mower 100 Chain shaw 120 Threshold of pain 120 Siren 134 .22 LR rifle 140 Jet engine at take-off 150 .410 shotgun 152 .22 LR pistol 153 20 gauge shotgun 155 .223 rifle 155 .25 pistol 156 12 gauge shotgun 156 .30-.30 rifle 156 .308 rifle 156 .44 Special revolver 157 .22 Magnum pistol 157 .45 ACP pistol 158 .380 ACP pistol 158 .38 Special revolver 159 .30-06 160 9mm Para pistol 163 .41 Magnum revolver 164 .357 Magnum revolver 164 .44 Magnum revolver

Just have to say that above 120dB it becomes very difficult for the human ear to differentiate between what is actually louder oddly enough, you often see this in metal working facilities and such. And a side-note on the 12ga is that if it is sawn-off it becomes a shitload louder, had one myself that was stolen and when recovered it was sawn-off, did not have a dB meter though so I can't really say how much of a difference it was, all I can say is it literally caused tinnitus afterwards and before it was just... loud.

I'm not sure of the exact model (this one was not one of mine) but it looked like this and I'm pretty sure it was one of the Colts:

45ColtPF2-014.jpg

I've been shooting all my life and ya, the kick was... shocking. Shot a frozen watermelon with that bad boy, that was a fun day.

Ooh nice, bet that thing makes quite the racket when discharged. It uses .45 and not .45 ACP correct? The ACP is like 22.8mm long and regular .45 is 32.6mm if I am not mistaken. Pardon the SI measurements, I can not for the life of me remember the inch measurement. (On phone with crappy GPRS connection ATM, pic was worth the wait to see lol)