Fighting the infection with Multiplayer/NPCs

Spaniard

What do you guys think of the possibility to amputate a limb infected from a bite and then cauterize the wound as a way to stop someone from succumbing to zombification? This option would only be available if you're with other allied NPCs or PCs and have the necessary materials.

Of course, the success rate wouldn't be 100%, but at least it's a viable and logical option.

What do you guys think of the possibility to amputate a limb infected from a bite and then cauterize the wound as a way to stop someone from succumbing to zombification? This option would only be available if you're with other allied NPCs or PCs and have the necessary materials.

Of course, the success rate wouldn't be 100%, but at least it's a viable and logical option.

Personally I like the idea, but I don't see it fitting into our PZ lore. Even in one of Romero's scripts the protagonists unsuccessfully try to cut off an arm to stop the infection ;) Not sure what the dev's standpoint is on this game mechanic.

Suggested before.

Well yeah, but at least not on the new forums. At least try to post something useful instead.

Personally I like the idea, but I don't see it fitting into our PZ lore. Even in one of Romero's scripts the protagonists unsuccessfully try to cut off an arm to stop the infection ;) Not sure what the dev's standpoint is on this game mechanic.

My working on should fit into the PZ lore.. Might have to jam in it somewhere like the wrong piece of a puzzle, but it will fit somewhere :D/

And here it is in all it's glory. The only caveat being that I wasn't clear with one of the middle points: I meant that "most people die when amputated in the field" rather than just a general "most people die from amputations" which is technically untrue due to the wonders of modern medicine.

While it might be a somewhat fun option (obviously people's opinions on this are pure opinion, no facts) speaking from the perspective of someone familiar with medicine it just doesn't make sense. Here's my issues with amputation:

1) A clean amputation requires specific tools. A cut that's not clean will just cause you to bleed out, so this is important. Preferably the blade should be cleaned before using it (at which point your friend would be a zombie) or else:

2) Amputations have a tremendous ability to get infected. This killed the vast majority of amputees that survive the bleeding before modern medicine and would continue to be true after modern medicine as well. But then again,

3) Most amputees die. The bleeding is an obvious killer but the very shock of it can cause your heart to stop as well. This is especially true because

4) The vast majority of people don't know how to perform an amputation (where to cut, how to clean it, how to cut it, etc.). If they do know how to perform an amputation, they likely don't know how to correctly place a tourniquet. Or even know what a tourniquet is. This is important because

5) You can't just bandage an amputation. Pressure on the end of the wound just isn't enough. It needs a prepared tourniquet instantly or the person will bleed out. Most of the time by the time you had made a makeshift tourniquet, your friend has bled out from the wound or is munching on your brains. Unfortunately there's one other problem, which is that

6) Just because you cut the limb off doesn't mean you got all of the virus/bacteria. It could have entered the bloodstream or just be lingering around the wound. Which means that even if you got 1-5 right, your friend could still just become a zombie.

The reason I can't support amputation is that it breaks two of the three biggest rules when it comes to suggestions:

Would it be fun? This one is opinions at this point.
Would it be realistic? Nope.
Would every day people be able to do it? Also a no.

Good enough for me, and convincing reasons to not implement this in-game! Thanks for the responses, fellas.

The fun thing truly is what makes it not worthwhile, and now that I think about it, it's also not realistic that anyone would be able to successfully amputate an infected person's limb, considering the circumstances.