Clothing Should Have Life Meters And Effect Your Character

vonVile

I don't know it this is planned, but I'd thought I'd toss it out there.

One thing that I noticed in the game is that clothes show no response to anything you do in the game, so there's no reason to ever change them. Clothes need a meter like everything else.

Here's all the things that I can think up at the moment to cause them to degrade or effect the character.

- When zombies grab you the meter drops. When the meter is gone, clothes disappear.

- When climbing through broken windows the meter drops a peck.

- When climbing through Level 1 carpentry built windows the meter should drop a peck from nail snag.

- When going through forest the meter drops a peck from branch snag.

- Clothes get dirty/bloody causes depression.

- Clothes should get wet when it rains. If you keep them on the wet moodle doesn't change and causes hypothermia.

- Clothes meters on zombies aren't at 100%, because you attacked them. This way you're forced to pick and choose the best clothes.

I don't know what the value number for items are, but when I state a "peck" I mean like a "-.1" point to the life meter, so it'll take a very long time them to fall apart.

Also when it comes to climbing through windows and moving through a bunch of trees the pecks will be random. Walking through dense trees it'll be pretty rare, but if you run it'll surely get snagged.

I REALLY like this. And if you tear up your clothes, the heat it holds will slowly go down. I don't know how important this could be, so this might be for later down the line, but I'd still like to see this in the game eventually.

They've mentioned that one day they want clothing to be a little more complex, acting as armor and having benefits etc. But I don't know about all that- I certainly don't want clothes as another thing we have to micromanage. They should be helpful when you have them, but not something you're constantly worrying over and having to fiddle with/watch.

Wouldn't newer clothes help protect you more from scratches and maybe bites too (thick sweater) than a torn up one. Could have reduced chance of breaking skin with new clothes and increased with torn up clothes. Then there would be a point to grab clothes for other reasons than bandages.

Or at the very least, regularly changing and cleaning your clothing could be a way to boost happiness and prevent disease by making sure you're not wearing dirty blood stained clothing that's caked in grime.

• 3 months later...

They've mentioned that one day they want clothing to be a little more complex, acting as armor and having benefits etc. But I don't know about all that- I certainly don't want clothes as another thing we have to micromanage. They should be helpful when you have them, but not something you're constantly worrying over and having to fiddle with/watch.

I hope all clothes won't act as armor. All ideas at the first topic are realistic and make sense but unless to wear a bullet proof armor (or dirt bicycle /paintball clothes), which should be extremely rare to found, there is no real reason that casual clothes protect us against a machine to eat brains.

And as you said, this is micromanagement that we should avoid. The days are too short for shopping...

Clothes can't act as armor. But ripped clothes can increase the chances to get bitten. Overall I don't want a meter either to show clothing condition, and would prefer not to micro manage anything. I suggest different types of shoes though that give benefits.

High heals +1 noise

Sneakers +1 sneak, +1 run

Army boots +1 resist for zombies that crawl

Construction boots + 1 build (because of safety)

Slippers +1 happiness, -1 sneak

Etc.

A zed's main form of attack is biting and scratching, and clothing is durable enough to where bites or scratches would be difficult to get through them realistically. And I don't mind clothing being torn up and worn out so long as it's a slow enough process to where I don't really have to worry about it unless I got mobbed by a bunch of zeds and barely manage to escape with my life.

A zed's main form of attack is biting and scratching, and clothing is durable enough to where bites or scratches would be difficult to get through them realistically.

I think a verb is missing in your sentence but for the record: The scratches are not an attack form but a result of their main tactic : to grab. Once the zed has grabbed you he won't let it go. He is like a enraged dog which feels no pain and no fear. Zeds maybe slow but I think they still have their strength. 

I do believe that bites can go through the clothes (confirmed with the help of my 4 years old in the role of the zed...  :cry: ).

Clothes can't act as armor. But ripped clothes can increase the chances to get bitten. Overall I don't want a meter either to show clothing condition, and would prefer not to micro manage anything. I suggest different types of shoes though that give benefits.

High heals +1 noise
Sneakers +1 sneak, +1 run
Army boots +1 resist for zombies that crawl
Construction boots + 1 build (because of safety)
Slippers +1 happiness, -1 sneak

Etc.

I am totally agree with Valourant. Still we could add extremely rare body armor (as football/hockey clothes or bullet proof vest) but I am not sure it is a good idea.

I do think that clothing should provide some defence from scratches and bites. Of course not such proportions that are usually in game armors, but more of a 2-5% less likelihood of getting bruised rather than scratched, and scratched rather than bitten, in regular clothing vs none at all. Also following a scratch or a bite, the clothing will tear and provide less safety. (maybe have slightly torn, torn and ragged prefixes or smthng)  And when jackets etc will be introduced I think it would be rather hard to chew through a leather jacket, but of course it only protects that particular body part.

A zed's main form of attack is biting and scratching, and clothing is durable enough to where bites or scratches would be difficult to get through them realistically.

I think a verb is missing in your sentence but for the record: The scratches are not an attack form but a result of their main tactic : to grab. Once the zed has grabbed you he won't let it go. He is like a enraged dog which feels no pain and no fear. Zeds maybe slow but I think they still have their strength. 

I do believe that bites can go through the clothes (confirmed with the help of my 4 years old in the role of the zed...  :cry: ).

These aren't wild animals with sharp teeth and claws. They're human zombies with human teeth and human nails. If a dragger bites my ankle, his teeth aren't gonna go through the denim of my pants. It'll hurt like hell and leave one nasty bruise, but it won't cause a tear in the skin. I'd say you're more likely to take scratches and bites on exposed parts of your body like hands, arms if you're wearing short sleeves, and the neck and head. Otherwise you just get bruised really bad.

One of the reasons I support wear and tear and clothing is because a bite won't penetrate clothing the first or second time, but eventually your clothing will weaken and tear and expose your skin. THAT's when you should be vulnerable to bites and scratches on that part of the body.

Denim is some of the sturdiest cloth ever made. Before it became popular to wear, it was originally worn solely by working men in conditions where exceptionally durable, tear resistant clothing was required.

I'd say a human canine could tear through it, but only after a lot of tries and a not insignificant amount of degradation to the cloth as a result of all the effort.