wolfgang784

Question

Most of this is copied from where I had been posting in another thread but it seems that users issue was very different than mine as it was caused by mods. 

I have zero mods installed and have just freshly installed the latest IWBUMS version this morning. I am playing in sandbox mode with all custom settings including the advanced stuff for zombie spawning. I spawned in a house and opened the first container near me. No matter what items I right click, the menu only appears for a split second before vanishing. If I keep right clicking fast the menu keeps flashing but never stays up so I cannot drink, sleep, equip bags or weapons and so on. I can left click to drag things and double left click to move to my inventory and such but no right clicking. I have tried holding CTRL, shift and ALT while right and left clicking in the hopes of that helping but no luck. I tried changing the resolution down to the recommended one as I have it set to 1920x1080 but that did not help since it is not an issue with lining up but that the menu simply flashes away. The mouse I am using is a logitech G600 gaming mouse and I have tried defaulting its settings although I am simply using the regular left and right click, none of the extra buttons. 

Could not find a regular mouse to try unfortunately, however my xbox 360 controller is working great. Kinda annoying that the controls page doesn't change to reflect controller keybinds so I have to figure it all out. Got most of the basics down but no matter what I press I can't seem to figure out how to select my health and stats and such. 

On top of my issue where I cannot right click, I have come to notice several other bad bugs. For one, after playing for a while using the controller I discovered that SOME menus allow me to right click. Thankfully that menu seems to be limited to the health screen so I can remove and replace bandages since I cannot figure out how to do so with the controller. However directly after I do so, every single time without fail, most of the controls stop working unless I press escape on my keyboard. I can move with the controller but that is it. No attacking, no doors open, no interacting or even pausing the game. So every time I replace my bandages I need to pause and unpause with the keyboard then resume playing with my controller, so I am stuck in an odd state where I need to use all three devices to properly play the game.  

5 answers to this question

So I verified the steam cache and now I can no longer use my controller at all which I actually enjoy much more. I tried loading the backup client and save I had made and still cannot use the controller. If I check or uncheck the box, unplug mouse, unplug mouse and keyboard, restarts and combos of things unplugged and plugged in to no luck. I really want to play this update as I havent played since the beginning of the year but I wanna get the controller working properly..... On the plus side right clicking seems to work now both with the controller plugged in and unplugged. I cant seem to figure out why it works now and the controller doesn't though. Havent changed anything except that steam verify. 

UPDATE: I mashed every key on the controller violently and something opened a window I havent seen before with several options, one of which was to take over player 1 or player 2 so I click player 1 and now the controller works again. 

Update2: Does anyone know what the controls are to open and close my health and stats menu and remove bandages and use other medical things like removing glass with a controller? I still need my mouse for those at the moment so I can't unplug it to see if it fixes the issue because I cant test the issue without it. 

With the newest IWBUMS update this morning where the play menu has changed, it works fine with a mouse but not so much with the controller. You can select to play and then choose custom, challenge and survival and the other mode but there doesn't seem to be a way to select your save with the controller and if you select back you can select options, quit or play and such again but the saves screen stays up. If you select play again you can choose a different mode like challenge but the save screen from before is still there unless you use a mouse to hit the back button, so the new menu does not work the best with a controller at the moment. 

Also still having the issue with bandaging, right click issue seems gone. Still have to hit escape twice on the keyboard after bandaging with the mouse before controller keys will work again. You can move but nothing else, no attacks or doors even. 

Another thing is that every time I try to unpack a med kit the items just vanish. They are not in my inventory, the hiking bag on my back, in any of the nearby containers, not on the ground, not in any nearby corpses - just gone. I wont be opening anymore for the time being. 

For some reason while applying bandages through the health menu where you can see the afflicted body parts, you only get 1 choice of what you have in your main inventory. For example if you have ripped sheets, bandages and adhesive bandages in your main inventory (not bag or container) and try to bandage through the health menu, it only gives the option of ripper sheets. If you get rid of the sheets you only get one of the remaining two choices, not both. As a consequence since I have the controller/mouse/healing issue I need to use my mouse to take off the bandages then go into my inventory and right click and select the type of bandage or healing item I want to use, so it is a bit of a process. 

EDIT: I am going to move most of this into the bug reports section as it isnt so much support anymore as bug reporting.

Try unplugging all of the other controllers other than mouse and keyboard, and verify the cache with Steam (right click the game in your library, go to properties, and under local files will be a verify integrity of game cache button. Click that.

If that doesn't do anything, opt out of the IWBUMS build (go under Beta, and click None)

If that doesn't work either, then backup all important files (like saves) and reinstall the game.

If none of those work, I have no clue.

Archived